Exams (1 Viewer)

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by Generator

Essays may not be a problem, as your course determines the likelihood of essays being used as a form of assessment.
What did you mean by this? I didn't quite get it

I'm wanting to do Business/Commerce course, will essay's have a dramatic impact? What if i had all my knowledge jotted down just like in High School, and you can easily pass would this be sufficient in Uni? or insufficient?

This holidays i'm going to focus heavily on perfecting my essay's well at least to the point it seems good.... if i can hold onto my priority lol

Generator

HSC
N/A
Sorry about that. I meant that not every course requires you to write essays.

I'm taking Science/Social Science/Arts units so I'm not sure with what commerce degrees require.

Essay writing skills are important, but so is having a good time. Just remember to enjoy your holiday, too.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by LaZy_KoReAn
What did you mean by this? I didn't quite get it

I'm wanting to do Business/Commerce course, will essay's have a dramatic impact? What if i had all my knowledge jotted down just like in High School, and you can easily pass would this be sufficient in Uni? or insufficient?
I wrote 3 essays last semester, and that was for the final exam of an International Business Subject. I haven't written any essays this semester, except on monday where'll I'll b writing 3 in another IBUS final exam.

Essay writing is fairly non existant in first year commerce, and it depends on the major u do. Say if u did Finance, u'd have zero essays in 1st year...and probably every other year

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Yeh - agreed.

I do Eco/Com and you don't generally write essays.
I have had to write 1 essay for Micro, 1 report for Micro, and the same again for Macro (they weren't in exams though)

And for law you have to write 'extended responses' to problems and I had to write an essay as well in my final (this was for commercial law).

Overall, conmmerce isn't packed with essay assessments, but you definately need to be able to write them.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I have 6 this semester, which is OK. (last semester I had 9-blah!)

I am comforted by the idea that in 4th year I don't get any exams at all! Come onnnn 4th year! :)

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
How about those foreign students who can't hardly write essays, because of lack of english?

I mean HSC marking guidelines are hard enough as it is, well to a extent and i can't imagine how STRICT uni guidelines are and i know myself i can't possibily adapt to it, with all the cramming you need to do, and i only get reasonable marks in essay's

And what does actually happen if you do fail in one of your assesments? Do you repeat or what?

Not A Carrot

Universities do not make concessions for students who have poor English writing skills. Universities cannot legitimately graduate you if you can't complete the course requirements (well, most universities, anyway).

If you think that writing essays will hinder your academic progress, perhaps you should consider a course that does not emphasise them in its assessment. However, most universities have essay-writing workshops to help students who have difficulty (remember, there are lots of international students in this situation, and a lot of help and encouragement is available).

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I have 4 exams this session, starts on 18th and ends on 24th ...

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC

And what does actually happen if you do fail in one of your assesments? Do you repeat or what?
If you fail ONE assessment it's OK, you just have to pass overall. (unless they specifically tell you you have to pass an assessment-but they don't do that much, or at least not in my course).
If you fail the subject overall, then you have to repeat that one subject next time. (which means paying for that subject again). This may be a problem if that subject is a prerequisite for another later subject, because it means you can't start that subject at the same time as everyone else, meaning you may have to graduate a semester late, or a year late. (depending on how they have to rearrange your timetable-you may still be able to graduate on time though.)
Then-if you fail to same subject again, you have to prove you had a good reason that prevented you from passing for them to allow you to repeat it again (like a medical problem). But if you can't do that, then they throw you out of the whole course.

Last edited:

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Yea but i heard that by attending all lectures and doing your homework you can gain extra marks to contribute to your overall results?

And you can be offered conceded pass?

Well, i guess i have to experience it myself.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
If you fail ONE assessment it's OK, you just have to pass overall.
That depends on the course & uni ...

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
At UC where I go we have to hand in every assessment and pass all assessments to pass the course. I know at ANU it doesn't matter - as long as u get 50 overall , u pass.

Lazy-Korean - i have never heard about the 'scheme' you are talking about/. It would be impossible for them to give u marks for going 2 lecturers - they wouldn't know if u r there. In SOME courses, esp law, u might get 5 % tutorial participation, which is gneerally if u turn up to every tutorial and actively participate and hey generally get you to give some sort of presentation....

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
In regards to offering a conceded pass; umm if you get between 45-49, you "automatically" get a conceded pass. The trouble is if u get one of these, you can't do a subject that requires if as a prerequisite - which for a Accounting degree, you are stuffed because just about everything is..

Also CPA only allows 2 PX for registration...

Last edited:

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
in my course, you get 12 credit points worth of conceded passes, so u can get between 45-49 in any 2 6 credit point subjects, or 3 4 credit point subjects etc. Considering you do 48 credit points a year, you cant rely on conceded passed to get through.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
How about those foreign students who can't hardly write essays, because of lack of english?

I mean HSC marking guidelines are hard enough as it is, well to a extent and i can't imagine how STRICT uni guidelines are and i know myself i can't possibily adapt to it, with all the cramming you need to do, and i only get reasonable marks in essay's
If u did alright in English in the HSC, u'll do well in uni essays
Well in one of my subjects, an International Business one, I always get HD's in my writing tasks, simply because everyone else pretty crap at essay writing (a lot of foreign students)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Yea but i heard that by attending all lectures and doing your homework you can gain extra marks to contribute to your overall results?

And you can be offered conceded pass?
In some of my subjects last semester, they give you optional tasks along the semester, that you can chose to ignore, or to complete and hand in. Then, if you fail by 1-2 marks, they may look back and see if you've done them, and if it looks like you've put in the effort, they may decide to be leniant.
Thats rare though, you have to be really on the borderline...

well business ( management)first year did not have as many essays as i thought it would for first year ive done about 8 or 9

majority in examinations like recently i did one in microeconomics pretty long but yeah essays are essential in the business courses

when u are on holidays just polish ur structuring of the essay and some general writing skills

heheh yeah there is alot of international students with insufficent english skills to write a full essay so they only at times write a paragraph or two sheesh pretty bad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)