excuses not to come into work (1 Viewer)

froggy_chik87

HSC
i needed 2 weeks off work when i went up to the gold coast, and as my ankle was fucked already, i just told the doctor i had fallen down the satirs at home, and he wrote me a note to say i couldn't work for 3 weeks, as i has sprained my ankle...it was awesome!!

you kinda need a bit of a swollen ankle to do that one tho...but, you may be able to fake it...

UGFighter

HSC
I don't fake sickies because your employer knows it's bullshit since everyone else is doing the same thing. I turn up to work even if I am feeling off or I am sick.

The one time I chucked a sickie I got my mate to ring up and say that I got KOed and was taken to hospital to be monitored overnight.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Why do you want to fake sickies? If you fake sickies all the time you don't get work so you don't get paid :confused:

froggy_chik87

HSC
iambored said:
Why do you want to fake sickies? If you fake sickies all the time you don't get work so you don't get paid :confused:
i'm sure its not an all the time thing...i personally go to work when i am sick, but when i wanted to go on holidays, they said that they would have to fire me if i did, therefore needed an excuse to get off work for 2 weeks!!

i've called in sick 4 times in the two years i ahve been employed, and when they were...i couldn't talk because i had lost my voice...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
froggy_chik87 said:
i'm sure its not an all the time thing...i personally go to work when i am sick, but when i wanted to go on holidays, they said that they would have to fire me if i did, therefore needed an excuse to get off work for 2 weeks!!

i've called in sick 4 times in the two years i ahve been employed, and when they were...i couldn't talk because i had lost my voice...
I'm glad some people are like you.

Some people seem to call in all the time though? Or they make it sound like they do. Or tell me to call in sick for little pointless things - it pisses me off.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I've never called in sick for work lol. Because I know how bad it is for the employer.

My parents have dealt with crap from some shit employees for years. Here are some of our most famous examples, usually delivered very close to the time the persons shift was about to start:
-I can't come in, I've ended up in Brisbane (loooong way from Albury!)
-I can't come in, I've been arrested for drunk and disorderly
-A favourite is the "ive broken up with my boyfriend/had a fight with boyfriend/ have emotional issues"
-My car broke down in Wagga
-My car broke down in Holbrook
-My car broke down in Melbourne
-I thought it was Friday and decided to stay in Melbourne an extra day, but I just realized it is actually Saturday and I was supposed to work tonight.... sorry
-I'm sick (no further explanation)
-I have dermatitis and hence cannot wash dishes this evening (then when dad said why don't you wear gloves she said I'm allergic to gloves)

Then of course there are the ones that don't show up and call the next day... or just show up at work the next week as if nothing happened (they usually find themselves fired!)

So yeah it sucks for your employer because my parents either had to work harder (in small businesses there aren't many extra staff, especially on the busiest night of the week) or drag themselves up to the shop on their night off, or drag my brother or I up to do the dishes until the wee hours of the morning. So it does suck, you should try and give lots of notice.

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
A bit off topic here, but my old work (supermarket that shall remain nameless...) used to fire people if they asked for more than 2 weeks off work to study for exams. The overwhelming majority of people that work there are school aged students and they also had a high staff turn over. On the other hand, if they didn't end up firing someone, they would call them up during school hours demanding them to come into work even after they had N/A'd.
Is it just me or is this wrong...?

Danoz The Great

HSC
I've only chucked a sickie once ever. I said I had food poisoning from eating a bad kebab the night before. I had a hangover.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
basketcase89 said:
A bit off topic here, but my old work (supermarket that shall remain nameless...) used to fire people if they asked for more than 2 weeks off work to study for exams. The overwhelming majority of people that work there are school aged students and they also had a high staff turn over. On the other hand, if they didn't end up firing someone, they would call them up during school hours demanding them to come into work even after they had N/A'd.
Is it just me or is this wrong...?
i don't know about the 2 weeks thing. every store has their own policies, so i cant say, but it does seem a bit silly (if not necessarily WRONG of them) to call school students during school hours when they've specified they can't be there, and then get shitty. if you give enough notice that you wont be able to work, your employer should respect that, work around it and quit heckling you to come work when they know you cant. it's different when you call up on the morning of your shift to say you wont be coming...i understand how that could be irritating/inconvenient. at some places i suppose it could be tit for tat though - they expect you there at a minutes notice, you cancel shifts at a minutes notice, nobody really wins in the end. perhaps if there was a bit more mutual respect between employees and employers, problems wouldnt occur like this. i mean, when you start working at a place you make a commitment to do so many shifts, and to turn up on time, etc, and you shouldnt abuse/misuse your sick leave entitlements (if any), only use what you're allowed, and for the right reasons. likewise, you should tell your employer in advance, if possible, that you cant work for whatever reason, and they ought to respect that and get around it. its a two way street, if that makes sense. sure, everybody has chucked a sickie at one time or another and i dont think theres much wrong with that as long as it doesnt become a habit.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i plan on using this excuse for not coming to work one day.

" yeah i cant come into work today cause iam sick" "oh really? whats wrong?" "jock itch" *hang up*

that would be a classic

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
u could say u got into a small car accident and ur too shaken up to work. that actually happened to a friend of mine and she didn't have to work.
when i dont want to work, i just get someone else to cover my shift.

volition

arr.
HSC
Well, this isn't exactly completely relevant, but it's funny anyway:
We used to have maths in the morning at 7.30 at school for accelerated 2unit maths, and one guy came late. His excuse was "I couldn't find a spoon this morning, so I had to eat my coco pops with a fork", and because of it's originality, our teacher let it slide :) Not that she ever really cared if we were late to morning classes...

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
I have to agree with brainedAsh on the whole ethical side of things that everyone else will have to work harder/ you could ruin someone else's day/night off... I know this happens because of my folks having their own business too, and one of their 5 staff is sick, another is on holidays and another is on emotional leave because of a death in the family it can get pretty frantic... I remember giving up one of my morning double frees to go and sit at work to "man the cash desk" which wasted time I could have been "studying"

Reshie

LilRed Spikey Haired Man
HSC
might sound mean but its ok
my uncle had a CVA(stroke)they arnt sure how long hes expected to live

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Reshie said:
sorry, that's isn't ok

Danoz The Great

HSC
Reshie said:
You have no idea how much that made me angry!

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i am completely unscrupulous and will chuck sickies whenever i don't feel like working (mostly when i'm hungover). i work in a big supermarket not a small business though so it's not hard to find someone to cover shifts - i also do last minute shifts all the time.

i have a few excuses i use, usually i just pretend that i had a seizure the night before since i'm epileptic and they can't prove it either way.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
the reason why people like that ^^ make me angry is because there are plenty of people looking for jobs that would not do that and companies keep people on who stuff them around for no reason

it isn't always 'easy' for them to get someone in and it also means someone else has to drop everything at the last minute to go to work. it's better than being in a small business though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)