• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Expected length of HSC economics extended response? (2 Viewers)

irenefu

HSC
On the past papers, it suggests students to reserve 35 minutes for the extended responses for Economics. But just wondering what the expected length that is? I've never done an extended response in that short of a time frame =|
And how much detail is expected? All my past economics assesment tasks have been about 50 minutes long, so there was plenty of time to go into detail.

Skeptyks

HSC
I've heard its around ~1000 or something and I have never noticed the 35 minute thing o-o

barbernator

HSC
it is suggested 800 words in 35 minutes. The HSC markers are looking for quality over quantity, but if you can spend more time on an essay and do both, the you're a winner :)

I aim to spend around 45-50+ minutes on each extended response by making up time on the MC and short answers.

Skeptyks

HSC
it is suggested 800 words in 35 minutes. The HSC markers are looking for quality over quantity, but if you can spend more time on an essay and do both, the you're a winner :)

I aim to spend around 45-50+ minutes on each extended response by making up time on the MC and short answers.
800 words sounds okay considering the time you need to think over the question and plan out paragraphs.

Bobbo1

HSC
For Economics around 800-900 words will suffice, provided there is diagrams, statistics and/or quotes which you have also incorporated into your response. For a straight theory essay like microeconomics or globalization then it is ok to write up to a 1000 words. Anything more would be considered waffling and not writing in a 'concise' manner. You should aim to spend around 5 minutes on PLANNING and then 45 minutes in writing your actual response. Good luck!

deswa1

HSC
Honestly, if you have the time, go for it. Today in my eco test, I spent an hour on each essay (probs around 1500 words each) and I don't think I was waffling- there's a lot to say about a lot of the issues (and yes, I had multiple clear diagrams, and stats and everything). In the HSC, I'm planning on spending a tiny bit over an hour on each essay. I know determine (who state ranked) wrote like 1900 to 2000 words on each essay. So yeah, quality>quantity definitely but quality+ quantity >both of these.

I know Tim Riley in his workbook recommends spending around 50-60 minutes on it and I agree because personally, you can't cover everything in enough detail to get a 20 if you do it in 800 words unless it is absolutely jizzingly awesome.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I spent 50-60minutes on my essays also, around 1700-1900 words each, although the Quality was no where near Determine's essays. That guy is brilliant, has outstanding quality and quantity.

barbernator

HSC
I spent 50-60minutes on my essays also, around 1700-1900 words each, although the Quality was no where near Determine's essays. That guy is brilliant, has outstanding quality and quantity.
how is this possible in under an hour?

irenefu

HSC
Honestly, if you have the time, go for it. Today in my eco test, I spent an hour on each essay (probs around 1500 words each) and I don't think I was waffling- there's a lot to say about a lot of the issues (and yes, I had multiple clear diagrams, and stats and everything). In the HSC, I'm planning on spending a tiny bit over an hour on each essay. I know determine (who state ranked) wrote like 1900 to 2000 words on each essay. So yeah, quality>quantity definitely but quality+ quantity >both of these.

I know Tim Riley in his workbook recommends spending around 50-60 minutes on it and I agree because personally, you can't cover everything in enough detail to get a 20 if you do it in 800 words unless it is absolutely jizzingly awesome.
2000 words............ wow
what was your question for the extended responses?
I'm doing mine next Friday. Do you know if they usually draw questions from 'economic issues' ? =S because there are some dotpoints in that section of the syllabus which I can't find in the Dixon textbook, so not even sure if they can test us on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)