Experiences/Scaling advice? (1 Viewer)

-billiris

HSC
What are people's experiences with these subjects and how do they scale?

Business Studies

Economics

SOR2

Modern Greek Beginners

Mathematics

Legal Studies

Advanced English

Ext 1 English

Modern History

Economics

Geography

- Obviously this is more than 12 or 13 units but I'm just trying to explore my options as it's a pretty important decision.
- A bit of background on me in Yr 10, well I'm very strong at English, decent at Maths (ranking about middle of 5.3), strong at Commerce/Geography (humanities subjects)
- Enjoy writing

Just some experiences and any info on scaling appreciated!!! :D :) How did you find any of these subjects?

photastic

HSC
According to the uac tables, all these subjects scale down

D94

HSC
N/A
How do you mean by scaling? Many students tend to get terminology mixed up so it would be useful to know how you mean by it.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
According to the uac tables, all these subjects scale down
in fact pretty much every subject scales down with a few exceptions

How do you mean by scaling? Many students tend to get terminology mixed up so it would be useful to know how you mean by it.
yes people are also much mislead about "awww only 60% internal; no way ill get a band 5/6 now" i dont think OP means the atar contribution but rather the raw marks required for the distant band 6

FancyPenguin

HSC
The scaling for those subjects shouldn't matter as long as you get a good mark, you shouldn't factor in scalings into your subject selections, just do things you enjoy.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
The scaling for those subjects shouldn't matter as long as you get a good mark, you shouldn't factor in scalings into your subject selections, just do things you enjoy.
again; this.

i think if people read past threads they would already know this and not be so naive

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Just do the subjects you are good at and would enjoy.
But to answer your question:
economics- content heavy subject
mathematics- not hard, just daily practice will do
Modern history- content heavy subject
geography- from what i've heard it's not too hard to get a band 6

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
dont pick a subject for scaling, if you do well in it, your raw mark will most likely transcend the scaling that takes place so you'll get a good mark w/o the "benefits of scaling"

PICK THE SUBJECTS YOU LIKE

but to answer your questions
ext 1 english - luv it, its brilliant. if you're not a critical thinker, don't bother.
eng adv - eh gets better as year 12 goes on
mathematics - pretty good, would do ext 1 if you think you're capable because it makes 2u super easy in comparison

quoi

HSC
As people have said, as long as you do well the scaling doesn't matter much. If you really wanted to do subjects because they 'scale high', you would choose subjects like chem, phys, ext maths, ext Latin because humanities in general don't scale as high as sciences/maths.

Anyways, I do Legal and Eco. They aren't hard subjects, just a lot of memorising (like most humanities). Prelim legal studies is pretty boring and hsc depends on what options your school does (for example, world order is a lot more interesting than indigenous peoples imo). It's good that you enjoy writing cause half of Eco and legal exams are essays lol. But yeh, choose whatever interests you the most. You don't want to be stuck for two years doing a subject you hate!

chasing

HSC
I find Modern History awesome! It has heavy content but from my personal experience - it's not hard to do well as long as you're interested in the topics. I usually just have to listen to the teacher's explanations during class to have all the information sink into my head. But I know several people that don't enjoy the subject and have to excessively study to remember the dates and events. As for Advanced English, I still have mixed feelings about it - but most of the time, I find it pretty fun. The Legal Studies content is a little dry right now but I'm thinking it'll get better in year 12. You should definitely disregard any major concerns about scaling and focus on subjects you enjoy though!

matchalolz

HSC
maths - becomes really easy if you do extension as well, but i think if you do homework everyday, you'll be fine
economics - this is my best subject. Lots of content, essays and make sure you keep up to date. A pretty straightforward subject for me
business studies - i find this a little dryer than economics, but the two subjects complement well in my opinion
extension - no. just no. But yeah, just my personal opinion. I would say do it if you like reading, analysing and writing stuff

-billiris

HSC
Hm well I don't have too much knowledge on scaling but what I mean is that for example, I get 86 as my raw mark for a subject, but my ATAR mark goes to 93, so it scales up. Like for example I heard Economics scales good but Business Studies does not??

Not sure if that's any help to the earlier posts.

Anyone got anything on SOR2

-billiris

HSC
Economics does scale better than Business - but even then, you should base your options on interest as opposed to scaling.
Yeha that's what I plan to do.

I think I'll do Eco, I've always wanted to do that and Business despite the poor scaling. I really feel I could get 90+ in Business if I work hard at it.

enoilgam

HSC
Hm well I don't have too much knowledge on scaling but what I mean is that for example, I get 86 as my raw mark for a subject, but my ATAR mark goes to 93, so it scales up. Like for example I heard Economics scales good but Business Studies does not??

Not sure if that's any help to the earlier posts.

Anyone got anything on SOR2
I think you are referring to aligning as opposed to scaling. That varies from year to year and shouldnt really be a factor in your decision at all.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
In my opinion, most people shouldn't worry about scaling (unless you're aiming for .95) because you can still achieve great marks with fairly average scaling subjects.

I did a few of the "atar killer" subjects such as standard english, general maths and CAFS but still managed to go reasonably well. Focus on picking subjects you're interested and motivated to do work in.

-billiris

HSC
In my opinion, most people shouldn't worry about scaling (unless you're aiming for .95) because you can still achieve great marks with fairly average scaling subjects.

I did a few of the "atar killer" subjects such as standard english, general maths and CAFS but still managed to go reasonably well. Focus on picking subjects you're interested and motivated to do work in.
What was your atar ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)