Explanation of HSC Marks (Moderating) (1 Viewer)

NewKleer

HSC
bit of a late reply (due to not visiting here in a year...) but if you get the highest assesment mark in your subjects, then your assesment marks are moderated to be the highest mark attained in your classes' exam, more than likely by you.

so if u killed your exams, doesnt matter what mark u got in ur class, as long as you were first, ur assesment mark will be at the least, what you obtained in the exam (or more if someone else beat you)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yes. As long as you are first regardless of what mark it is, your moderated assessment will be the highest exam mark.

If you also top the exam then yes, your exam mark will become your assessment mark. If your not first then whoever came first will have their exam mark as your moderated assessment mark.

juggernaut

HSC
what about for equal rankings? like, do all those who came equal 1st just get the highest exam mark?

but then there would be more higher marks to distribute to 2nd and lower places.. assuming these equal 1st places got some of the top, but different exam marks... that cant be right can it

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If there were equal rankings the average of the 2 highest exam marks will become their moderated assessment marks in which both the top people will end up with equal moderated assessment marks as shown by equal rankings.

Benno

HSC
um in that table at the start of page 4 for the HSC marks there was something about aligning what we got in the HSC exam????

i thought that mark stayed the same....

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Benno
um in that table at the start of page 4 for the HSC marks there was something about aligning what we got in the HSC exam????

i thought that mark stayed the same....
Your raw mark that u get in the exam isnt the mark u see wen u get ur results - its aligned to performance bands (ie Band 6, Band 5 etc) - theres a lot of info on this on this site

NewKleer

HSC
for example, if you get 70% raw marks in 4u maths, this equates to a hsc mark of about 95 or so, and scaled marks for uai close to 100.

whereas a 70% raw mark in general maths might equate to 65 hsc marks and scaled mark of about 35 for uai.

Benno

HSC
thats a bit exagreated i belive

im talking about what i get in the exam (just that mark people not the changed assessment mark or overall HSC mark)

if the marks say i get 80 in geography they cant change that can they?

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Ok, i made a thread to ask a question, which could have been asked here.

I am a bit worried about my Physics mark, like, we had 9 people in my class...im ranked 4th, after me, i.e. from rank 5-9, people dont do anything...so yeah the worry is if their result would affect my final mark..

the school assessment marks for Physics are:
1st- 86%
2nd-82
3rd-80
4th-79
well we are the only 4 people who really do work in class.

I am hoping a raw in mid eighties in the HSC Physics Exam...well we dont know what it would get scaled too, if it goes up to e.g. 92/100...how would it affect my school assessment mark... i mean is my band 6 which is calculated by averaging the moderated school assessment mark and the hsc exam mark would be in "jeopardy"??

I am hoping to do better in the HSC Physics exam than the person ranked 3 in Physics...

Please explain!
i hope i am not sounding silly :(

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
It appears your 4th highest mark (which is you) isn't that far from the top person - 7 marks.

In my opinion, I'd reckon a mid 80's as a raw exam mark would align to a band 6.

However, your band 6 is calculated (as you said) by averaging the moderated assessment mark and exam mark. Which is your HSC Mark.

If the other 3 people in your year do just as well as you (mid 80's as raw mark), you'd still end up with a pretty high moderated school assessment mark.

I can't say whether you'd get band 6 for sure, but the option is certainly there.

I not sure whether I answered your question, if not don't hesitate to ask again.

michaelirish

HSC
N/A
""ok..i was sumwhat confident before.. but now i am a little hazed again.
from what i can gather (although i am probably wrong as usual) performace is also dependant on how well (or crap for that matter) your school performs..
well what happens if in ur classes ur first .. and there is a huge gap between u and the rest of ur class.. BUT your the only one with such a high mark (80-90)... meanwhile everyone else in your class are around the same low mark (30-40)... if your schools marks get averaged...does that mean my marks gets pulled down... i've read somewhere that becuase i am first, i am relatively immune..
however..how is this possible if the rest of the class is going bad.. will thats not pull me down considerably..or will they be pulled up?...
i'm blabbering on again and knowing me..the answer is simple and has been mentioned before..
however my paranoia is getting the betta of me at this point
what to do what to do..
help plz..
thanx in advance guys""
Has this poster's question been answered?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Yes. The entire moderating process has been described rather exhaustively across almost all of the 'important' threads.

The scenario put forward by the poster is a bit confused, and doesn't seem to differentiate between assessment marks and examination marks. The latter are used to moderate the former.

Specific and precise questions are easier to answer.

michaelirish

HSC
N/A
I think he was referring to ' a school loading factor'...it may very well be the reason why students want to get into selective schools after yr 10

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
There is, ultimately, no such factor.

An average student at an above average school will receive a low school ranking, which would cancel out any benefit gained by the good performances of the other students.

monzi

HSC
I think it's unfair, that selective schools get better UAI's or marks then alternative schools ... I go to an alternative school in 2002 UAI : 99.4 and in 2003: 97.85 ...And those people worked their butts of..

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Ok so from what ive gathered through my observations
(you hsc mark is the average mark of your internal assesment rankings average mark and your external exam mark)
then the mark u get as your hsc mark is alligned depending on difficulty of subject eg. (chemistry=70 and something silly like D&T=70 alligned for uai Chem=82 and D&T =68

Am i Correct....??
(if so read this its a really good summary)

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
just a question for u guys out there.. (this has nothin 2 do with scalin lol) .. is it possible 2 get a UAI of like above 99 without getting 10 units above 90??

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
queenie for ur question yes depending on subjects if u got high 80's-low 90's in phs/4um/adv eng/chem then for sure lol

billbro

HSC
N/A
Alright, I haven't read through the whole thread only about half of it. I decided it would be more beneficial to simply ask my question rather then sift through everything to find it.

Recently I was told that going to a selective school would ultimately affected my assessment scaling compared to my current school. Thus as one would, I asked around and in the end I was told by numerous teachers at my current school that wasn't the case.

In any case I applied for a selective school, Hurlstone Agriculture and ended up recieving an offer to attend the school. In the end after believing that there was no real benefit except the competition in attending a selective school I turned it down.

Once again I've been tolded that going to a selective school does affect the scaling of my assessments and reading the comments about 'riding the selective school bandwagon' this seems to be the correct.

What I really wish to inquire is that since im attending a private school whose policy is ultimately to accept any student thus incurring a lower school ranking whether im disadvantaged compared to a selective school? From what I have read this seems to be the true and for me to do well I have change my lazy work ethics and not only do well in the external exam but also top my assessments.

Also I would wish to know why a selective school would get a better scaling on their assessments? If one were to get a better scaling on assessments merely on the basis of one's school. Isn't that slightly unfair that capable students who have the ability of selective school students essentially have their marks 'toned' down because they chose to attend school elsewhere?

Well thats my rant and I hope it makes some sort of sense and thanks beforehand for anyones help.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)