Explanation of HSC Marks (Moderating) (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The school plays no role in the determination of your UAI.

The UAC simply uses the marks given. There is no school scaling just because they are selective or private.

The only difference a school can make is the atmosphere around you and whether the competition within it is high, thus motivating you to do well.

In the end, you'd find that if you attended a very good selective school your ranking may not be that good. Conversely if you performed the same in another less acedemic school, your ranking would be better, thus 'cancelling' out the effect.

Ultimately, you'd find that in the end your marks you receive at school become moderated to ensure fairness throughout the state.

This thread that I made will explain the moderating procedure and you'd fine it's as fair as it can get so as to not disadvantage the student.

If you performed badly at school and the hsc exam in a top selective school your UAI won't be good. If you performed badly at a poor acedemic school your UAI won't be good.

It' just known that if you are performing well at a selective good, whilst beating the majority of the people in your class, you'd also perform very well in the HSC exam and end up with a nice UAI....If you performed equally in another school while attain the same HSC exam marks, you'd also end up with a nice UAI.

The school plays no part in how they calculate the UAI. They simply use the marks they are given after it has undergone moderation to ensure that the marks between all schools are fair.

billbro

HSC
N/A
Thanks Ragerunner, I've just heard conflicting views from friends I knew at different schools and a couple of teachers I've asked. That definitely clears things up and was very helpful, thanks again.

mafiosa

Originally posted by Ragerunner

trials are about 45% of your internal assessment meaning everything you have done up to now is approximately worth that one exam!
so are the trials considered internal examinations???

S

Shuter

Ahh, that was very helpful.

When it says "The bottom mark was atypically low and was excluded" or "the bottom mark was adjusted to keep the curve monotonic increasing" is this how the official board of studies will also do it, or is that just basically saying I've chosen some marks that the program doesn't really know how to compute correctly.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Shuter said:
When it says "The bottom mark was atypically low and was excluded" or "the bottom mark was adjusted to keep the curve monotonic increasing" is this how the official board of studies will also do it, or is that just basically saying I've chosen some marks that the program doesn't really know how to compute correctly.
Those two scenarios are the actual methods used by the Board to handle 'special cases'. :)

illin

Ill factor
HSC
From the first post, Tim got totally screwed!! He got band 6 94 internal and band 5 86 external. Should he then go to 90 then be aligned. This is totally f***ed the way the UAI is calculated. all i know is rankings are very important

kofmaster

ranks are fucked

i believed they should only use ur hsc mark
cos I think teachers are trying to rig the system
what i think is some teachers give students who are coming first, higher marks then they deserve, say when you hand in research assignments students who are ranked higher then you or students that the teachers think will get a good hsc mark get high marks (undeservedly sometimes) and the students who are not doing so well get even lower marks then they should receive, which means the overall class average is not that high so that in the hsc when the students who the teacher was marking harshly on, get marked fairly during the hsc, this brings the whole classes average up, this way the top students who the teacher was helping out have more chances of getting band 6 but this is not fair say if you studied harder for the hsc then you did at skool, plus is hard to move up ranks in skool, cos the teachers are rigging the system

and the bad thing about it is we can't do anything about it

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The entire moderating process operates to remove the problems you described, kofmaster.

They don't exist.

kofmaster

Lazarus said:
The entire moderating process operates to remove the problems you described, kofmaster.

They don't exist.
how would they do this??
i mean it is so easy for teachers to take away 5,6,7,8,9% off less able students and bassically give them to more able students but at same time keeping the average constant
this only helps half the students get more marks then they deserve

they should only take ur hsc mark, the notion that someone beat you at skool therefore they are smarter then you is stupid,
especially if they are not and they get a higher moderatered mark

i mean it is virtually impossible to have a higher hsc mark in the same course with a student who is beating u on rank even if u beat them in the hsc exam

Last edited:

Tofu.Dull.Full

Same here i dont like the idea that u cant have a higher mark than someone that beats u in class ranking. Im coming last in 3u maths, and it just feels like S@#$. its kinds of de-motivated me to study because i know i can never get the highest mark. am if i do study i would only benefit other ppl.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The board rewards students who perform consistently through the year, rather than people who perform a miracle at the end.

The entire moderating process at this present moment is as fair as it can get. I doubt anyone else here (maybe Lazarus) can think of a way to ensure fairness throughout the state whilst still taking into account of school assessments. (i.e. without having just one final exam at the end).

kofmaster

true

tech86 said:
Same here i dont like the idea that u cant have a higher mark than someone that beats u in class ranking. Im coming last in 3u maths, and it just feels like S@#$. its kinds of de-motivated me to study because i know i can never get the highest mark. am if i do study i would only benefit other ppl.
i agree with you completly so many people in my skool who r not doin so well have all given up
that makes it hard to even get a decent average in th hsc

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
tech86 said:
You can, your HSC mark will be greater if you beat them in the average exam by greater then the relative difference between you. Plus the better you do it means that the whole classes' including your assesment mark will go up, and you are competing against the state not the class.

Secondly, kofmaster, that is what critera are used for and if that did happen you should have went through the processes with the school about it.

die_tryin

parramatta all d way wel actually its granville bu
hey

heyyyy ok im stressing out heaps, i basically fuked up in biology with total year mark of 32 cause i missed out on the trials which was worth 45%, in the hsc im expecting 2 get more den 80% in d actual exam for biology, is dere any hope dat my final uai will b more den 75%????

kofmaster

Xayma said:
You can, your HSC mark will be greater if you beat them in the average exam by greater then the relative difference between you. Plus the better you do it means that the whole classes' including your assesment mark will go up, and you are competing against the state not the class.

Secondly, kofmaster, that is what critera are used for and if that did happen you should have went through the processes with the school about it.
what you talking bout, all am saying some teachers are inconsistent in their markings (purposly) to adventage some students,
and you can't have a review process if you don't have crediable evidence

there should be a system that allows students to just take their hsc exam mark (if thats higher then their moderated assesment mark + hsc exam mark) to have that only count toward the uai, that eliminates teachers favouritism toward some students and is more fair,
to say that because some is beatin you on ranks at skool therefore they smarter then you is stupid, especisally if they do not beat you in the hsc exam,
you can't bludge you way through the whole year and then all the sudden get high 80s and some one who was supposely doing well all year gets 60s thats rather odd i think
of course some students get nervous and shit but still they should have a new system that takes all that in perspective
the new hsc is not entirely fair

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If a teacher is being inconsistent with marking, it is up to the student to make the complaint to the teacher, head teacher or if needed the principal. I hardly believe that a school would ignore such procedures performed by the teacher.

kofmaster

different bands

i heard it doesn't matter what ur rank is in ur class
if you get say 90% in the actual hsc exam you will recieve a band 6 in ur record of achivements

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)