Ext 2 English + Ext 2 Maths?? (1 Viewer)

kpq_sniper017

Is there anybody here who's doing Ext 2 Maths & English.......I just want to know.....is there stacks of work involved if you do both?? (I'm only in Yr 11......so I'm looking way into the future).......

One other thing......with Ext 2 English......do you have to be really freaky at English (ie get 98 in Advanced and 96 in Ext 1 ) to do it??? Or is it more of a subject of personal expression, rather than vocabulary and complexity?

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
I DID both ext maths and english. I would have to say that, Ext 2 maths was hell, Ext 2 English was relatively breezy for me.

i guess it's because I didn't usually do my maths hwk until just before the exams. As for english, the intensity of the work really depend on your medium. I did video, there were moments of stree but if you plan your time well, Ext 2 English can be the easiest subject that you can get (also can obtain a really high mark)

So, I survived, and I don't regret doing those two together

Blackalicious

HSC
Im doing maths ext 2 and english ext 2 right now and yes the work load is extreme, maths more than english

Saul

*ss
HSC
i did both too, for me math was the easy part and english... well that wasn't too hard either, but i didn't do nearly as well in english as i did math

aud

HSC
Originally posted by pcx_demolition017
Is there anybody here who's doing Ext 2 Maths & English.......I just want to know.....is there stacks of work involved if you do both?? (I'm only in Yr 11......so I'm looking way into the future).......

One other thing......with Ext 2 English......do you have to be really freaky at English (ie get 98 in Advanced and 96 in Ext 1 ) to do it??? Or is it more of a subject of personal expression, rather than vocabulary and complexity?
I do both... there's quite a bit of work involved, but doing both and dropping to 12 units helps. You don't need to 'freaky' at Eng and EE1, but you are a representative of the best English students in the state. And while you can put personal expression into your major work, complexity is part of the marking criteria, so it's not as loose as other major work subjects, after all, it is a 2nd Extension.

I find that Maths and English balance each other, I can get lost in English, but when I get stuck, I can get lost in Maths :D ME2 requires heaps of work because your teacher will obviously drive you so, but you end up choosing the intensity of your EE2 pace, it's more individually driven. But if you like or are good at both/either, you should do them, after all, you can always drop them.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
You dont need to rip at 3u or Adv to do 4u... your 4u will assist you in your 3u and adv.. but they are different types of english.. ext 2 is more about a passion rather than work.

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
hmmm..... passion.... if only it stayed there permanently rather than wander in and out like a confused nutcase!
try ext2 anglish if you feel you can do it... you can always drop it if youfeel you cant handle it.

aud

HSC
Originally posted by Will_Sparky
You dont need to rip at 3u or Adv to do 4u... your 4u will assist you in your 3u and adv.. but they are different types of english.. ext 2 is more about a passion rather than work.
Very true, with English, EE1 and EE2 help refine writing skills and are like extra classes to learn to analyse texts in, etc... and with Maths, ME2 classes are meant to spend 30% of the year on Topic 8: Harder Extension 1, and incorporates all of ME1 which incorporates all of Maths...

So in other words, Extensions are literally Extensions :D

skittlebrau

If you do 4u English and 4u maths, you're still going to have to do two other 2u subjects, because you need to be doing four different subjects in year 12. Which means 12 units. Which means ARGH TOO MUCH WORK!

aud

HSC
There's nothing wrong with 12 Units, just choose good ones that will either complement or not affect your workload - like doing Physics with ME2, or doing a bludge subject that probably won't count...

kpq_sniper017

well, im in yr 11 right now and these are my subjects:

- english advanced + ext 1
- maths ext 1 (im doing yr 12 maths a year ahead - so this might affect my workload a bit)
- chemistry
- economics
- business studies
- studies of religion (catholic school, so its compulsory in yr 12 as well)

= 13 units

if i do both ext 2 maths and eng, ill drop business studies - the only conflict im faced with is deciding whether its better to get 90s in business studies (which i think i can get), or doing ext 2 maths and eng and only getting 70s or lower in each of those.
only bad thing is that the workload of the ext 2 subjects might also affect my marks in eco. and chem. - so im not too sure (and i really wich i could drop religion......lol)

ive never come first in english - usually top 4 or 5. last year in yr 10, i got 93 in the sc exam and 92 as an internal report mark ...... so i cant be too sure that i can handle ext 2 english (coz last year, i wasnt even considering ext 1 till i changed my mind)

*to put it simply, im confused, worried and anxious*.....lol

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
put those results into SAM, if there is only a little descrepency in results then id go for the one YOU are going to enjoy.. never pick a subject just because ur good at it, its the reason i dropped physics. If something interests you, then, your more likely to do better in it. If you accelerate 3u maths, then u only need to do 4u... id go with the double extension if i were u.

oscar_wilde

I definitely agree- choose subjects you like: makes it easier when you have to study....
I'm in year 12 and I'm doing 12 units-matter of priority?

Giant Lobster

HSC
Im doing both. I can say E2 Math is harder than E2 English. But English Adv is harder than E2 Math, to me. :(

aud

HSC
Yea, I'd drop Business, I think you'd do fine, you don't have to be coming first in Eng to do EE2, otherwise there'd be only one person in each school doing it... and gettings 70s in ME2 is good, and getting 70s in EE2, well... it's easier to do well with your three main assessments spread out a lot...

I just noticed that you're accelerating ME1, don't stress about ME2 then, it's literally an extension on all the ME1 topics... think about it, Complex Nos comes from Real Nos, Conics comes from Parabola work, Integration and Polynomials are the same, etc, etc...

Leng

I also do both Ext 2 subjects and they both have their moments of stress, but Maths more so than the English. The Mathematics is actually quite interesting but it kinda takes it out of you, whereas I find the English is really "theraputic".

Corny, I know, but I love Ext 2 English and so that makes my Major Work something I want to do, as opposed to actual "work".

But Maths...unless you're one of those people who just love Maths and your idea of ultimate bliss is doing endless Maths, I guarantee at some point in time, you'll be like "I HATE Maths!"

Come to think of it, I've been saying that since Year 11... =\ ...don't ask me why I'm doing Ext 2... =p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)