Ext. History 2007 (1 Viewer)

Sandez

Hay Guys
HSC
Anotehr vote for the "Work on ye logbook!" bandwagon. My marks..

2/20 for the log book
4/5 for the synopsis
10/10 for the sources and bibliography
18/20 for the work itself.

My teacher's comments?

"Your handwriting is messy and illegible, and incomplete."

That's why I'm on fucking Special Provisions, stupid bitch. It was actually unreadable (as I could not read it myself) and I had a good 30 pages, but I was re-writing it the night before and fell asleep at 4am....and woke up with a drool covered 10 pages.

Fucking hell my teacher fucking shits me.

I also had my father pass away about 4 days before it was due...nope, no consideration for that "You should have done it earlier."

Fuck I'm glad to be finished.

Sorry, she just REALLY ticks me off.

izzy88

HSC
yeh keep up to date with the log book...saves time at the end, however at our school they checked it about 6 times throughout the project and each time it was worth like 5 marks so that they knew we were keeping up to date with the log book and our project...

as for writing sophisticatly or doing ext 1 and 2 english, im just doing advanced and i am ranked 2 out of about 20 so its not necessary...you dont have to use big words you dont understand to do well...keep it simple!

alice89

HSC
I started ext history today. We're doing the origins of American democracy which sounds o.k. I'm worried about choosing my topic for my project though, i have no ideas whatsoever! what if inspiration doesn't strike! i don't do ext english either and only one or two people in my class do so i t's definately not necessary.

shell156

HSC
is my skool the only one to do the bush legend??? i like ext hist but im not too thrilled on our case study.... all the others sound so interesting......o why does mine have to suck so much?!?!

maddy_d

Taper Jean Girl
HSC
i had my first lesson today and i love it. its exactly what i hoped it would be and the whole "what is history" question is so puzzling and challenging its brilliant. i dont know what im going to do for my major but anyway. yay!!!!im so glad its what i hoped it would be and i cant wait to start our case study(american democracy)

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
For major works, think through bits of history you know about - from your Y11 history, maybe (although bear in mind that your project cannot have a significant overlap with Y11 or Y12 Modern, Ancient or Extension units you're doing) or from Y8 history, or your own knowledge. Which periods or personalities or societies or countries do you find interesting? What processes do you find interesting? Maybe you're interested in Arctic exploration, or in the colonisation of Asia, or in the politics of central Africa, or in central American civilisations, or in British history pre-1066.

Look up the bits you're interested in and read a bit about them. See if you can find something that sounds like you could do some research on it. Bear in mind that it needs to fall under one or more of the categories on p. 26 of the syllabus (PDF). Maybe it's a historical mystery or debate. Maybe it's the way the event has been represented on film. Maybe it's an issue about the reliability of evidence, and how we know what we know.

Come up with a shortlist, then talk to your teacher about it and see what they think.

If your school organises the assessment like mine does/did, you don't need to commit to an idea before the start of Term 1 next year (when our proposal was due). There's still plenty of time.

(If you're interested, my project was on Sir John Franklin, an Arctic explorer who vanished in 1845. I looked at the different views as to what caused the disappearance. When I read through it a couple of days ago, I realise that it's actually not particularly good. But what the hell. It seemed good at the time, and I got a pretty good mark.)

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
yeah just to elaborate on what the poster above said you could think about critically evaluating historians themselves, after all that is what historiography is about.

for e.g. there was an essay that placed 5th in the 2001 HTA extension prize thingymabob which evaluated the Australian historian Bean.

and i'd advise purchasing this book online on the HTA website if you want to compare your work with the best :D Usually those winners just chose a distinctive topic but applied an extremely radical way of thinking which twisted the concept and just made it 'wow'

jodi..1

is awesome
HSC
Shell156 we're doing the Bushlegend as well. When we were told this the 6 other in my class all go "awww" and i go "YES!!" lol. Theres 7 in our class which is weird seeing as last year there was 3 and the year before 0 i think...
Anyone else going to the history extension seminar tomorrow at UOW??

lady Arre

HSC
unfortunately not...

but if was anything like my extension two seminar it probably won't help you much any way.

so we started extension history last week.

i want to wage a bloody messy and violent war on lunch classes...

other than that... all good. we're studying the effect that the roman empire had on the provinces, for the case study. i wanted to do napolean or elizabeth I but i was outvoted. mostly because modern didn't run. at our school so no one wanted to be doing anything vastly different.

anyway it should be good.

has anyone actually got a clear idea of what they'll do for their project yet?

ybnormal

The depths of my mind are the safest places
HSC
lunchtime classes, easy. Been having them most of high school. got a class that ends at 8pm, and another that starts at 7am. now thats always fun :)

were doing JFK. boring as hell, especially since the schools do it every year, and my sister did it. JFK took over our house for about 6months...

Im thinking of doing the different perspectives of Nuremburg Trials. Mostly because I can't have anything to do with Hitler (curse it being a major study area) Though, Im sure thisll change.

Dont worry bout being the only girl. Go to an all girls school, yet have classes at the guys school. :) Mostly its fine :)

loveforever

HSC
I'm really enjoying History Ext! (so far, that is...)

We're doing JFK for case study. Haven't actually started work on it, so I'll have to see how it goes.

Is anyone else really dreading starting/doing their major project? I don't want to do it... so much effort... I'm thinking of doing mine on the sinking of the Rainbow Warrior, but I don't know anymore. :confused:

capone89

HSC
History extension is great, if a little dry to begin with...

Love doing major work stuff though, always like to pack up the folders and spend an hour doing research...

Overall, it's not quite 10/10 for fun or awesomeness but its still very enjoyable and I guess I'll be keeping it for next year, if only for the major work!

*miranda*

HSC
we started friday week ago. the what is history definitly messes with your head! like 'the prestige' - awesome movie but anyone back on track.
we're doing the crusades for our case study *groan* our teacher was pretty adamant about doing it - he taught it last year so we have loads of resources so thats why the majority of the class caved in.
i've got one idea for the major work at the moment - not sure if it will work out...but lets hope so *fingers crossed*

we got the big keep your logbooks up to date - but the girl who was telling us this got full marks for her major project so it's probably good advice!

simonelye

Simone.
HSC
Hey!
at my school.. all we've done so far is lke questioning history and heaps of stuff on hisorians like herodotus etc.. mainly ancient ones so far..
we're doing elizabeth I and elizabethan period for our case study but we havent started that yet...
morning classes are horrible but!!!
worst thign ever invented! lol
not sure bout major but!! too many ideas to narrow down!!!
hope everyone is having fun in extensioN!
we have like 9 people.. its a huge class.. and so many opinionated people lol
its like a massive debate over everying!!
anyway have fun!

loveforever

HSC
^
There are like 30 people in our class! But we divide into two groups some of the time, so it's not too bad.

Halliwell66

HSC
N/A
I have a class of 7, case study will be Elizabeth I.
Been doing class since week 2 this term mornings before school a week, i'm not a morning person so talking about postmodern interpretations is killing my brain cells.
The teacher we have is the most boring in the whole staff we begged and pleaded with our class teacher but it stuck, so i'm on a thin line between if i want to quit or not.
Plus am paranoid since i came first in my ancient class last year i wont go as well which isn't helping with my project proposal.

deep.lee

HSC
wow lots of variety between schools. I have a morning class of 5 and our case study is appeasement? thats quite abit far off though atm its all "what is history". anyone actually have their topic finalised?

caitycat

HSC
We're doing the Historicity of Jesus for our case study.. deep! I'm looking forward to it! I'm really stressing about my major work.. I haven't found anything that I really love and ant to spend my next 3 months doing... I think i'll save that rant for the "major project" thread...

eyestodiefor

HSC
I'm doing ext history,

we've started the course and the works not bad. have you got the readings yet? they're thorough, and offer a fair insight to historeography. having said that; my class is slow and boring as anything - teacher is pathetic, but if you read the readings [distributed commonly by the bored of studies] with i think the 4 focus questions in mind -
(i) who are the historians?
(ii) what are the aims and purposes of history?
(iii) how has history been constructed and recorded over time?
(iv) why have approaches to history changed over time?

the readings come together to make sense fairly well. Those questions are straight from the syllabus - with connotations to the readings; students will use a source book to historical readings to gain a background understanding of historyographical issues in order to place the issues examines in their case study within a broader context, and case studies; each case study has a principal focus and five associated areas of historical debate, tge case study enab;es students to examine historiographical ssues within a specific context.

Those above are straight from the syllabus; which i assue you don't have if you haven't begun the course. Despite the uselessness of my current teacher, in correspondance with the teacher who taught the subject last year at my school - he's issued me with another set of questions [similar but not the same] as the ones in the syllabus for the readings:

(i) what type of history is being written?
(ii) what historical techniques are being employed?
(iii) language and style?
(iv) what does the historian see as the purpose of history?
(v) what impact has the historian had on historyography?

hopefully thats a bit of a heads up for you - if you were looking for it. as others have commented though; doing 4u english doesn't have any bearing on how well you could do in ext history -theyre are completey different styles of writing. I'm doing 4u english and the only observation I have is that they're two major works - hence less time. 3u English is sufficient, the only reason I'm doing 4u is to give myself a safety net for when i screw up economics in the HSC :p

Enjoy!

p.s - also if you wanted to do some of your own reading to get an idea of how history ext projects should be, the teacher who taught it last year sent me an article by Matthew Melton -
Ken Burns' Civil War:
Ken Burns' Civil War: Epic Narrative and Public Moral Argument

it's a good read if you have the time, let me know if you want it/can't find it on the net

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)