Extension 3 maths (1 Viewer)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Why do you say that?
;)

how is uni textbook different?
Well for starters it's not like "so you can study from either Cambridge, Fitzpatrick, maths in focus, etc"

It's more like "we wrote this guide for this exact course for you, study it cos there is nothing else you can use", though you can use random calculus books etc for a more broader knowledge exposure.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
This thread had potential but a lot of people dun goofed with their posts.

Although something like MX3 would never be introduced by BOSTES themselves, if advertised enough I would think that maybe some unis would offer a high school students mathematics course with much more depth and analysis of theorems and proofs that many HSC'ers may take for granted when they begin learning mathematics, just like how at UNSW has the high school COMP1917 course on offer to high school students.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
This thread had potential but a lot of people dun goofed with their posts.

Although something like MX3 would never be introduced by BOSTES themselves, if advertised enough I would think that maybe some unis would offer a high school students mathematics course with much more depth and analysis of theorems and proofs that many HSC'ers may take for granted when they begin learning mathematics, just like how at UNSW has the high school COMP1917 course on offer to high school students.
UNSW does offer a maths course (MATH1141 IIRC) to accelerated HS students. Or at least, they did in 2012.

There's also a difference in that there's no HS equivalent to COMP1917, whereas there's overlap between MATH1141 and 3u/4u maths. If a student was doing a uni maths course and a HS maths course concurrently, they'd probably get confused about content between the two courses, and e.g. start justifying MX2 answers with the MVT.

Triage

HSC
N/A
I never thought of extension 3 maths as becoming a board endorsed course. That would make no sense. Then some kid will make a thread in a couple of years saying "people who do extension 3 find extension 2 easy but extension 3 hard, we should make an extension 4 course."

What I meant was studying more advanced mathematical methods so that you succeed at 4 unit. Another examined course would just create more problems.

Mariel97

HSC
lol, i wish I was smart enough to take 2 unit.:newburn:
I only do general.

iStudent

HSC
If you want to study uni level maths can't you do it by yourself? (i.e. buy your own textbook and start going through all the theory etc).
But honestly, I think you can do well in 4u without learning any uni level maths at all. They guide you through every step so that all questions can be done using high school math. Just gotta make sure you do a lot of harder 4u questions, be a genius etc and you too will find 4u easy :)

dunjaaa

HSC
Well, last year I basically did not study for 2u since I knew I'd be picking up 4u and it wouldn't count. But yeah, I believe that if your ext 1 is good, then naturally your understanding of 2u concepts should be a piece of cake.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
UNSW does offer a maths course (MATH1141 IIRC) to accelerated HS students. Or at least, they did in 2012.

There's also a difference in that there's no HS equivalent to COMP1917, whereas there's overlap between MATH1141 and 3u/4u maths. If a student was doing a uni maths course and a HS maths course concurrently, they'd probably get confused about content between the two courses, and e.g. start justifying MX2 answers with the MVT.
Not sure about that actually. Have never heard of it (in that case it should be advertised more).

Nah I wouldn't say MATH1141 would be the best idea. I have not done discrete maths (is it MATH1081 ?) (nor do I have to ever do it), but apparently that's quite different. Maybe something like that would suffice. Again though this all relates to the fact that an MX3 would have quite different content to what you would find in any high school maths, purely because its extra-curricular, and hence under what OP said that "it would help make MX2 easier to learn", I don't think it would if it was a different course altogether.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
http://www.unsw.edu.au/sites/default/files/documents/HSC_Pathways_brochure_web.pdf

Yeah discrete maths would probably complement MX2 better than MATH1141. I don't think it would improve students' MX2 performance though. I found MATH1081 to be a pathetically easy course, whereas MX2 was hard. MATH1081 was mostly 2u difficulty with bits of 3u.
That's pretty cool actually to do. Wish I heard about this or the HS comp back in my day.

I do agree that it won't make MX2 easier in any way, so in terms of what OP said to make MX2 easier, it won't work like that. But yeah having an extra curricular MX3 (which maybe does not count for HSC or something, but gives some form of university course accreditation, which would be hard to implement but is still possible), wouldn't sound too bad. There would be a handful of students willing to do that I would say to accelerate their uni studies. Then again it would be similar to just having students doing pathways and doing 1141 or 1081 already.

Most people I have spoken to have told me that 1081 was quite difficult for them lol. Maybe it just clicks for some, and maybe it takes a lot longer for others. I have no need to do 1081 at all so I have no idea. All I've heard from others is that they have not done much of that type of maths before.

aligning*
Lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)