Extra 5 UAI points? (1 Viewer)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
nope, you're describing EAS (educational access scheme) where they assess Educational disadvantage and award extra UAI points to attempt to remedy this disadvantage. However, you have to prove that your performance has been adversly affected by changing schools (I think the only grounds would be something like getting a really hard time from the other students, like physical and deeply mental stuff).

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
nope, you're describing EAS (educational access scheme) where they assess Educational disadvantage and award extra UAI points to attempt to remedy this disadvantage. However, you have to prove that your performance has been adversly affected by changing schools (I think the only grounds would be something like getting a really hard time from the other students, like physical and deeply mental stuff).
hey i applied for it...and i wanna know if they just add on the 5 marks to the uai...or is there some other things involved with this process?

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
No one can "get 5 extra UAI points"
The UAI your recieve will be based on your performance only. However, if you apply for this scheme and your reason is valid, if you miss the cutoff for a course by a few marks, the UNI may accept you anyway, based on that scheme.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
hey i applied for it...and i wanna know if they just add on the 5 marks to the uai...or is there some other things involved with this process?
It is up to six UAI points, depending on the severity of your disadvantage.

And butterfly is right, it doesn't get added to the UAI you recieve when they are released, rather when you apply.

Hayley C

do they really give u 10 extra points? i thought 5 was good.............................................

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Yeah they can give more then 5 points, even up to 10 points, and maybe even more. It all depends on ur disadvantage and how severe it is.
For example, living in a cramped living sapce can not be compared to having a severe medical condition from birth. Its like how the scaling for subjects in the HSC works.

I mean, I was talking to my doctor about it, he was the one to bring up the topic, and he said i would have a really strong case for anything between 5 - 10 points consideration.

blue_chameleon

HSC
yeah, i just found out, its like 5 for unsw, and 10 points for uts.
It is up to six UAI points, depending on the severity of your disadvantage.
Hey btw, what are ur sources for this information???

toisthbe

Evil Member
according to.. me..hehhe, i believe that it doesn't actually solely depend on the uni..

if the code that u applied for is accepted, u will recieve a letter from uac, acknowledging ur aplicaation...

and from that, depending on the courses from different unis, u could only get 2.. or 4 or...6...

i really think the adding uai points depend on the courses...

blue_chameleon

HSC
Yep.....i got a letter from UAC stating that they have received my application.

and from that, depending on the courses from different unis, u could only get 2.. or 4 or...6...
Where did u get this info from about the 2, 4, or 6 points????

i really think the adding uai points depend on the courses...
Nope sorry thats incorrect, the calculation of how much consideration an applicant should receive has nothing to do with what course they are applying for. UAC does not consider that.

blue_chameleon

HSC
so the amount of extra UAI points depend on the severity of ur disadvantages?
Yep thats right. Except UAC does not "add" these points on 2 ur UAI.....wot u receive via mail, or web, or sms......that is your perofrmance without any consideration at all.

Wot happens is UAC, in a way, informs the uni's that u have chosen, about how much consideration u should receive, and then say u miss out on the cut-off UAI for a certain course, the university will accept u. Depending on how much consideration u get.
i.e. Say u got a UAI of 78, and the course cut-off for the course want 2 get into is set at 82. If u get 4 points consideration by UAC, then u can b accepted into that course, even though u have a lower UAI than that of the cut-off UAI.

Do u understand that ok?

blue_chameleon

HSC
Also, if a person applied for consideration, due to cramped study environments, and another person applied for, a medical condition, and also illness or death of a family member, then obviously the second person is going 2 get more consideration than the first person because of more circumstances.

I think that may have answered your question more appropriately.

RJ

HSC
I also heard that for a sought after course, where there may be say 2 places left, if there are two people who have applied under the EAS and are elligible for the same amount extra, the person with the higher UAI before the extra will get in.

I've applied under two codes - medical and financial. Do these get considered separately or as one? Also, does any one know the date we find out how much extra (if any) we will get?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by blue_chameleon
Hey btw, what are ur sources for this information???
yeah, i read that in the booklet itself...

well i dunno, i though its more like u either get into the EAS scheme or not. yeah, thats assuming RJ's statement was correct.

Winston

HSC
This is how it goes

Most Popular UNI's, i.e. UNSW, USYD, MAQ, UWS etc...

If accepted into the access scheme you will be competing with all the EAS candidates, the uni's are only providing 5% of spaces for EAS, and say the course you wanted to go in was 85, and you scored 80 while the student who also wants to go into the course scores 82 this student is more likely to get it, as it's still competing against the other EAS candidates. You DON'T get a 5 bonus UAI points on your certificate or whatever, your just considered within 5 UAI points of the cut-off of your desired course.

While UTS has the exact same principle as above, but they provide a cut-off within 10 UAI points.

That should answer everyone's questions.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yeah, all the above is a good summary of the procedure. :)

yeah, i reckon it shuld b like the guy who has more disadvantage should get more marks, but unfortunately it is not the case.

toisthbe

Evil Member
Originally posted by Winston

While UTS has the exact same principle as above, but they provide a cut-off within 10 UAI points.
10 seirously? so if a friend got codes for death, divorce, criminal, n youth allowance, would he get upto 10?

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
i dont think if u get youth allowance they'll give it to you though... i know death / criminal do.. umm divorce..if it has affected u in a way that is unberable.. theni guess yes.. u have to provide evidence of this as well..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)