Extra 5 UAI points? (1 Viewer)

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
I got told that too. I really hope its true, cos i have a feeling I really need those extra points...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Benjamin said:
Despite my disadvantages, I tried my absolute best all year and I think I did great!!!!!!!!!!!!

So hopefuly It will all be good!!!!! :)

God Bless you all and good luck in your HSC and I hope you all get the marks you need, especialy the EAS marks you need,

-Benjamin Graham
congrats (for doing your best) dude, you'll deserve them.

extra uai that i know of:
EAS
UOW from close areas
mac uni scheme with partner schools

aditya

HSC
nah actually what happens is that there is a new cut off made for EAS applicants... so for example if ur hoping to get 94.6 uai and want the extra 5 to get into law at sydney... then it wunt happen..... IT WONT HAPPEN - that is a fact.... if u get 98 uai then it could very well happen. but sydney doesnt release these marks... however... UNSW does... and for example the b commerce program... if u want to get into that with the EAS scheme the cut off not including ur boost is 95.3 or something (low 95s) not much of a diffrence....'

but if u go into less popular courses ull get a bigger boost... its still based on demand and supply hence the popularity issue...

good luck for the real sufferers...

ace

is retired
HSC
There is no NEW uai made for access applicants Aditya.

The uai's that you have read from the Access document, is the lowest uai that was accepted for an applicant using that Scheme.

Though, your statement on "Popularity of courses" is true. The more popular the course is, the higher the UAI cutoff, pre-dominantly since people that have achieved a high calibre in there results are applying to those courses, and for good reason.

In the end, it comes down to quota's and popularity, when UAI cutoff's are made.

Just on a side note, the extra 5 points people think, should be actually termed, if your UAI is WITHIN 5 points of the course cut-off. Cause then if you have Access, your mark is thrown in with the other pool of applicants (for access). But remember your competing against other people (in access), and those people may very well have a better UAI than yourself.

Last edited:

stylish

HSC
N/A
Yeah, ace explained it the most accurately, I think.

The number of different Access codes you put in, also doesn't necessarily add anything for you. There have been cases of people just applying for the sake of it, making up or at least exaggerating confined living spaces, sickness and the like, but even by applying, you aren't gauranteed that each individual uni will accept your claims. Each uni will send you a letter (which you should've already received if you applied) saying whether or not you were successful in being considered for their Access schemes, and THEN, when the UAI's are released and preferences made, you still aren't gauranteed of getting a place in a uni course with a higher cut off than the UAI you received.

ace

is retired
HSC
ok, im kinda bored, so here goes;

For the different criteria that is in the Access scheme, as stylish said "not necessarily the number of Access codes you put in, means it is better".

Basically, the University will look at the application, from the codes that you have listed, assuming that you have adequate and backup documentation to support your claims (so don't go saying you all lost that leg last week of the hsc exams), the University will decide if the application is successful or unsuccessful.

After that point, the university will in some time or another (usually around mid-december) send out a latter, to either conform or deny your acceptance in the Access Scheme. (Note: Access Scheme being here whatever a Uni may call, there scheme, e.g. USYD's Broadway scheme, is EXACTLY the same thing, they just like a fancy name).

So for those who have applied, good luck, and I hope you were honest when you wrote those applications, cause the University has the right to revoke them, if they find out they are fraudulent.

-------------------------------------

On a side note:
Where the number of codes matter, is in certain schloarships. At Unsw, they call these the Commonwealth Learning Schloarships. These are primarly aimed at over-achieveing candidates of the scheme, but those of which are significantly finanically disadvantage. But since this doesn't have anything to do with the UAC Access Scheme, perhaps I wil leave the reminants of the gory details to a later date.

twiddla

Yeah applied for 2 things - one was loss of close family members and the other was long term medical condition. I have got the full 5 points under the Broadway scheme which is Sydney's EAS program. Apparently it is very difficult to get the full 5 and they can offer you however many points they like between 1 and 5. Newcastle uni does not tell you until they offer you a place and they only ever offer a max of 4 points.

Note this does not change your actual UAI - it just means you can get into a course where the UAI cut off is higher than your UAI would have usually allowed. So for example if i get 93 as a UAI i can now get into a course where the UAI cut off is 98.

The other things that you can apply for are
Financial disadvantage - incl if you are supporting yourself
Family hardship - this could be your parents divorcing, close family members passing away, having to care for younger siblings
there is some way that rural kids can get points

For all these things you have to have substantial documentation. For example for my medical one I had, a letter from my neurosurgeon, a letter from my GP, a letter from one or 2 of my teachers saying how it had affected me, a record of attendance so they could see whether the condition had cost me time off and a personal statement that I had to write about how it had affected me. It took me ages to write everything out and collect it but I knew I had a good chance of getting this.

The thing is that you would have already applied for it if your applying for uni entry for 2005

ace

is retired
HSC
Nicho said:
Note this does not change your actual UAI - it just means you can get into a course where the UAI cut off is higher than your UAI would have usually allowed. So for example if i get 93 as a UAI i can now get into a course where the UAI cut off is 98.
So for example if i get 93 as a UAI i can now get into a course where the UAI cut off is 98.

In the above statement, MAY NOT CAN. Cause the 5 points from the Broadway scheme, means that you will be considered as a Broadway applicant if your UAI is within 5 points of the published cut-off margin.

Note: When I applied (which was a year ago), I also got accrediated with the full 5 points, and there was a letter that explained that the 5 points accrediation did not mean your UAI+5, but rather meant, the consideration into the applicant pool of the Broadway Scheme, if the course I choose and my UAI was within 5 points of the cut-off.

Nicho said:
The thing is that you would have already applied for it if your applying for uni entry for 2005
Yeah, I know people would of probably alreadly applied for it for entry into 2005, though people beyond such years may look at this thread for information.

Cheers

roxy_bell

my bf at the start of the yr said he gets like 6 extra points if he decided to go to sydney uni and other extra points i think cos he plays rugby in the firsts for his school?? would that be right??

ace

is retired
HSC
Im not sure what athletic type entries there are, but if there were, that is entirely different to the Access/Broadway type scheme.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)