extra cirricular stuff needed to get into med? (1 Viewer)

h3ll h0und

HSC
as the title says, can nyone tell me what type of extracirricular activities that the people who interview for med would be impressed with/give u a higher chance of getting into med, because i know that they don't just let people who just study all day, into med. For example, if u just play a sport like soccer and swim on teh weekends and do nothing else do u think they would accept u? or do u have to have a wider range of extra cirric stuff? thnx

saberbladexx

HSC
Involvment in the community. Any leadership roles. Participation in groups. Sports/outdoor activities. Leisure activities.

Basically those are the main extra curricular'stuff' .

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
You might not even get asked about it during the interview. But it could/should be something that you can talk about if they ask about work experience, etc.

Volunteer work with charity, emergency services, hospital, etc. But alot of students will have simillar things though. Be sure you can explain it in detail if they ask further questions about it, as it happened with a couple of my interviewers.

h3ll h0und

HSC
do the extra cirric stuff count if u did it in yr 9-10? Because i went to lots of SRC regional meetings and some environment thingo at parliament house.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
do the extra cirric stuff count if u did it in yr 9-10? Because i went to lots of SRC regional meetings and some environment thingo at parliament house.
lol, use some common sense, yes it's relevant, but you need to talk about the qualities of leadership and to describe it in more general e.g. I was in the SRC and worked on many projects, regional meetings and even participating in workshops at Parliament house, etc rather than I did this and that specificly. Think twice about talking to the environment and other non-medical things, interviews can easily and deliberately attack or throw you off by asking if you are more interested in the environment, then you should do science or biology etc and getting you to go off into other tangents, etc. I hope you can rebut tough questions and subsequent questions easily.

Last edited:

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
i was actually kidding. the interviewers are pretty experienced and would have been in hundreds of these interviews. they can easily pick the students that are making things up from the ones that are genuine. they will usually give you the benefit of the doubt, but as with everything in life, theres a psychological aspect and this could affect ur chances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)