extx 1 maths nightmare (1 Viewer)

live.fast

HSC
N/A
of course u can cram for maths...u just have 2 be gud at it. You onli need 2 skills -expert cramming before da exams AND expert scabbing marks afterwards ;)

truthfully tho if u want a minimum of 89/100 for ur end of year mark, just use the excel mathematics books - one review exercise per chapter, n dats it, guaranteed 89/100 for ya ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
live.fast said:
of course u can cram for maths...u just have 2 be gud at it. You onli need 2 skills -expert cramming before da exams AND expert scabbing marks afterwards ;)

truthfully tho if u want a minimum of 89/100 for ur end of year mark, just use the excel mathematics books - one review exercise per chapter, n dats it, guaranteed 89/100 for ya ;)
But wouldn't the kid want a mark 90 or above? :p

Sofstar

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
But I really do recommend just doing an hour of solid maths revision each night, that should do wonders for your marks.
:mad1: .....one hour?.....must be my 10mins that's the problem.

desipryde

HSC
hey brother dw... i got band 6's for maths last year den suddenly failed in 2unit wif 47% dat i found embarrasing...but i somehow passed my ext1 maths 51%... however my teacher tells me i'll get used 2 it.... and so will u guys ..."its just a matter of tym.... put ur effrts in" wat u put in is wat u get out....
i wouldn't say practice makes perfect...lol bcoz no1's perfect.."though it matters bout ur personal best achievement"
cheers

live.fast

HSC
N/A
one review exercise per chapter for maths.

Dats all ya need.

=)

live.fast

HSC
N/A
89/100....correct me if im rong, but im pretti sure dats beyond 'barely passing a subject'...

its da easiest way 2 get pretti high marks =)

unlike studying past paper afta past paper for 3 hours a nite 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year *cough cough soulsearcher*

=)

SoulSearcher

HSC
You will find that will not work for everyone, so your advice must be taken with caution, everyone is different in how they study. What may work for you may not work for someone else, so I'd be pretty careful in making claims like that.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Im kind of in the same boat.

Although i am comin 5th (out of 15, mind you), i am finding it hard to keep up with and fully understand some of the work. Im sure with extensive studying i could understand everything but that would leave me with no time for any other subjects. Its simply TOO MUCH MATHS for me to handle.

I am considering dropping it and taking up Ext 2 English, as english is definetly one of my strengths.

I dont know how other schools do it, but we dont dont actually do maths ext during ext periods and 2U during 2U periods, we just do one topic at a time for a continuous period be it 2 or 3U. Which means that technically we should spend 1/3 of the time on 3U and 2/3 of the time on 2U, but at the moment it seems we spend about half on each, even our teacher said so. I feel that by dropping 3U I will have more time to focus on 2U which im sure i could go much better in given the time.

But Im hoping to do medicine or something to do with Science at uni, and apparently 3U is handy for that, so yeah...:(

SoulSearcher

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
I dont know how other schools do it, but we dont dont actually do maths ext during ext periods and 2U during 2U periods, we just do one topic at a time for a continuous period be it 2 or 3U. Which means that technically we should spend 1/3 of the time on 3U and 2/3 of the time on 2U, but at the moment it seems we spend about half on each, even our teacher said so. I feel that by dropping 3U I will have more time to focus on 2U which im sure i could go much better in given the time.
I know that the second extension 1 maths class at my school do both 2 unit and 3 unit maths work during either the 2 unit or 3 unit classes, depending on what they are learning at the time.

Extension 1 Mathematics is assumed knowledge for many science degrees in university, so whether you drop it or not depends on whether you feel that you are able to do it during years 11 and 12 and still being able to do well in the rest of your subjects, or being able to do the course via another method, e.g. bridging courses before university, and focusing on your other subjects. It all really depends on whether or not you feel that you can cope with the workload of extension 1 maths, along with your other subjects.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
zeam said:
im finding that taking up ext. 1 maths has ended up being a nightmare for me. i constantly fall behind, and when half yrly results cam i found that i had gotten 50% for 2 unit and 16% for ext. 1. Coming from getting marks in the high 80s and 90s in yr 10 to getting just on 50% this year, im finiding this a bit worrying. Anyone else have similar problems?
Haha my first maths ext 1 exam i got 18% and I came 2/5 and then for my half yearly i got 20% and i also came 2/5 again. Funny though, the marks got scaled up to the 65% range. And with my 2u exam, i got 58%, and it got scaled up to 78%.
So scaling also occurs in preliminary exams too.

HSC
guys dw, if u get bad marks they'll pick up

and besides, 3 unit gets scaled up so far its not funny

if ur looking to get high 90's (RAW) all the time in 3 unit, then ur out of ur mind, no one can get that, it bloody impossible, not to mention freakish, u'd have to be crazily smart to get that mark....remember, i'm talking raw marks here

dw, somewhere in the mid 70's to mid 80's will probably get scaled beyond 90% fairly easily, but then again, scaling differs each year, so whose to say

dw, keep at it, marks will pick up

and btw, there's no band 1 to band 6 in 3 unit, the bands are known as E1, E2, E3 and E4, where E1 is the lowest and E4 is the highest :)

zeam

HSC
N/A
thanks guys, the advice has been helpful. Right now im feeling extremely uncomfortable in my 3U class and below the class standard when it comes to interpretation of work and other things. Time management is a major issue for me, and im hoping to drop down to 2U before i get too far behind. I would have done this earlier, but was advised not to by the subjects advisor and hence here i am now.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
haha I don't feel comfotable with ext1 overall. I havn't done any homework nor study for it since term 1, and this is because of lack of motivation for ext1 due to it's difficulty.

karnoganguli

HSC
I didn't drop so badly: from 90% in year 10 to 80% in 3 unit 11. However, the guy who topped year 10 is now failing the 3 unit course. So in other words, don't be disheartened by 16%- aim and study for higher. Your doing badly but so is everyone else.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
if you suck at it, drop it. don't believe that just because everyone in your school is doing shit, that everyone else in the state is. Chances are, you're just not made for maths. Try another subject. Ask for switching between courses. Don't stay just because you're friends are. You gotta know when you're alright to stay, and when it's time to go, otherwise, your bad decisions are just going to affect your UAI at the end.

*emi*

HSC
Well i know my maths marks dropped going into ex 1 --> from 90s to 60s, but scaled up to a half yearly report mark of 89 so its ok.
I'm having trouble remembering everything, like, i get it at the time but in a week when we're doing something different i will have totally forgotton what we learnt last week!! Anyone got any ideas on maths study that would really REALLY help. And also- what textbooks do people use? I've got cambridge and i dont really like it, i need more concise explanations, and i've got a really bad teacher who doesnt teach us the hard things so i'm getting worried that come hsc we'll all be so far behind!! Any who's up for 4 u next year?? I cant decide if i should or not!?!?! Is it much harder than 3u??

thanks heaps guys
-Em xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)