extx 1 maths nightmare (1 Viewer)

zeam

HSC
N/A
im finding that taking up ext. 1 maths has ended up being a nightmare for me. i constantly fall behind, and when half yrly results cam i found that i had gotten 50% for 2 unit and 16% for ext. 1. Coming from getting marks in the high 80s and 90s in yr 10 to getting just on 50% this year, im finiding this a bit worrying. Anyone else have similar problems?

kangarulz

Procrastinaton
HSC
hi, dont worry.. i went from 90-100%s in year 10 down to 30% average in like 2 and 3 unit... at the moment im manging to pull up my marks to about 70% 2 unit and 50-60% 3 unit.. and i'm still working at improving..
its a big shock transitioning from year 10 to year 11, it was from being spoonfed to suddenly being on ur own.. like my teacher doesn't do theory lessons or anything, we just teach ourselves and if we have problems, he'll help us answer that one question but thats it..

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
You probably shouln't worry too much about those marks, however if they continue, it might become a worry. If worst comes to worst, you can always drop it in year 12. I didn't have a massive drop, but still had a drop in my marks notheless when changing from year 10 maths to year 11 and 12 maths.

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
Don't drop ext. 1. Believe me, it helps enormously in the 2 unit course. Go through the textbook. If you have problems, ask your teacher or post it on here. Come assessment time, ask your teacher for past papers. There's no point in being able to remember every single formula in the course if you have no idea how to apply it.
If you're flat-out working on ext. 1, and you're getting those sort of marks, then consider dropping it. What's your mark compared to the rest of your class? Rank?

gadbil

DALAL*****DALAL
HSC
Yeh,i had the same problem as you, in my half yearly i got 60% for 2 unit and 15% for 3unit. 3unit involves so much extra work and time, and i also found 2unit can aslo be abit challenging. However i dropped 3unit last week, and im now trying to concentrate on 2unit and try to improve .

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
You probably shouln't worry too much about those marks, however if they continue, it might become a worry. If worst comes to worst, you can always drop it in year 12. I didn't have a massive drop, but still had a drop in my marks notheless when changing from year 10 maths to year 11 and 12 maths.
yeh, same...everyone goes thru that stage when moving from year 10 to year 11, its a big jump and we all drop off in terms of marks, just stick at it

the marks will pick up

xoxo

HSC
hey
yeh im in the same boat...sorta
im going pretty well in 2u atm...like all my exams have been over 90 which im happy about =)
butt...in my 3u one which i had today...i TOTALLY stuffed up...i kno i already lost abt 30% of my marks for not answering questions and im also unsure abt whether to drop...
i get the stuff....its just wen i get in an exam...they r so diff from the easy stuff in my textbook that i forget everything

SoulSearcher

HSC
xoxo said:
hey
yeh im in the same boat...sorta
im going pretty well in 2u atm...like all my exams have been over 90 which im happy about =)
butt...in my 3u one which i had today...i TOTALLY stuffed up...i kno i already lost abt 30% of my marks for not answering questions and im also unsure abt whether to drop...
i get the stuff....its just wen i get in an exam...they r so diff from the easy stuff in my textbook that i forget everything
This ties into the whole idea of practice, practice and practice. Get many questions on that particualr topic, and continue doing questions until you are confident with that particular topic. Do that and you should soon see a pick up in those marks :)

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
zeam said:
im finding that taking up ext. 1 maths has ended up being a nightmare for me. i constantly fall behind, and when half yrly results cam i found that i had gotten 50% for 2 unit and 16% for ext. 1. Coming from getting marks in the high 80s and 90s in yr 10 to getting just on 50% this year, im finiding this a bit worrying. Anyone else have similar problems?
Hey i had the same problem last year. I found it really difficult adjusting from yr 10 maths to Ext 1 and since I do alot of English type subjects, I lost all motivation when it came to maths which meant that my marks were constantly in the bottom range. I'll say, try to practise more maths questions and see if that would increase your marks. For me, I just lost all hope for Ext 1 maths because I was falling far behind but i still did a year of Ext 1 and then dropped to 2u. Its only the end of term 2 so don't start worrying yet but if things get really bad, u can always drop to 2u and get high marks there since you would have done most of the 2u stuff in ext 1. Good Luck :)

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
yep, everyones already summed it up nicely... i had same problem, was one of the bottom in my class because of it. the rest of the class went on to do Ext 2 in year 12, so i had to change classes and go into a different Ext 1 class. I worked my ass off a bit more and now all my results have been in the high 80s and 90s. :)

its doable! good luck :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
lol im gonna get band E1 in ext 1 maths HSC ... anyway in my h-yearly i got 78% in 2U and 29% in EXT1 .... dont be afraid ... there are many ext 1 students who are in the same position as you ...

HSC
dw, ur matks WILL and i repeat WILL pick up

as i mentioned, b4, everyone's mark drop as they enter transition from yr 10 to 11, u won't help that much, unless ur a freak, or u have already done the hsc course b4

but dw, marks will increase as u get used to the workload and content

its a big jump from yr 10 to yr 11, and they expect a lot more from u, u'll get used to it

dw, don't threat, its a big boat, and a lot of people are on it, not just u

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
moving from year 10-11 is a big step, and marks will fall. If ur marks for ext picks up..then u keep it as it is a big help in the HSC year, but if it remains lower then u should probably drop it.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
f3nr15 said:
.. dont be afraid ... there are many ext 1 students who are in the same position as you ...
Many extension 1 students are not in the position as you, majority are fairly good. Check the bell-curve of Maths extension 1 and it falls mainly around 70's, 80's. Pick up your pace a little, develop a new format for studying.

HSC
Tuna said:
Many extension 1 students are not in the position as you, majority are fairly good. Check the bell-curve of Maths extension 1 and it falls mainly around 70's, 80's. Pick up your pace a little, develop a new format for studying.
don't listen to this guy, he's obviously on something...many people are in the same boat, yr 10 - yr 11 is a big jump...as illustrated

but the idea of a new study technique sounds good, try it, it might work

SoulSearcher

HSC
Tuna said:
I think f3nr15 was referring to preliminary students, as they would have to do a lot of adjusting to the new topics that a preliminary student would have to face in year 11. You would generally get better results in year 12 as you become used to what is expected and do more practice and so forth.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
'Tuna' is right,

At my school in our 1st maths ext assesment the average was 53% but the average for the half yearlys was 78% heaps of people started to study after they did so badly in their 1st assesment.

Maths is something that you can't cram for you need to study!!! The chick who is topping maths ext and 2u at my selective school does 1 hour of maths study from cambridge every night she got 99% in the last maths test, only loosing 1 mark for a calculation error.

SoulSearcher

HSC
Wooz said:
Maths is something that you can't cram for you need to study!!! The chick who is topping maths ext and 2u at my selective school does 1 hour of maths study from cambridge every night she got 99% in the last maths test, only loosing 1 mark for a calculation error.
Although I generally agree with that statement, I know of a couple of instances where a kid at my school totally destroyed his maths exams without much study. But I really do recommend just doing an hour of solid maths revision each night, that should do wonders for your marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)