F.e.a.r (1 Viewer)

Collin

HSC
N/A
F. E. A. R

I know I've been talking about this game alot, well that's because I've been waiting for it for over a year. Possibly gonna be the best shooter released this year, it's certainly stirring up great reviews and if you've watched the 320MB gameplay movie off Gamespot and read the PC Gamer and Gamespot reviews (92% & 91% respectively), you'd no doubt agree.

In a nutshell, it's basically a very nicely done horror first-person shooter experience.

Here are some highlights of the GS review:

"When you get down to it, the gun is the heart and soul of a first-person shooter. Even the genre's name alludes to this fact. Yet while shooters have been around for more than a decade, very few of them have actually captured the visceral experience of firing a gun. It's an intense and violent act, not to mention loud. Enter F.E.A.R., the highly anticipated action game from Vivendi Universal Games and developer Monolith. F.E.A.R. is a shooter that captures the sensation of being in wild and desperate firefights like no other game before it, and it's an incredible, kinetic, almost exhausting experience from start to finish. More than that, though, is the fact that it's also one of the most atmospheric and creepy games ever made, as well as one of the most intense shooters that you'll play this year."

"F.E.A.R. works because it elevates first-person shooter combat to cinematic levels. And while we've certainly seen games with movie-quality combat before, you've never seen anything quite like this."

"Playing F.E.A.R. is like battling through a John Woo movie like Face/Off, because when firefights happen in this game, they're downright glorious to behold. Bullets tear chunks out of concrete and wood; blinding clouds of dust and debris fill the air; bodies are torn apart or slump on the ground; and the deathly silence of the aftermath contrasts so sharply with the sheer chaos that erupted only moments before. Gunfights in F.E.A.R. just feel right."

"Part of the reason why it feels so right is because the weapons that you have in the game feel powerful, like weapons should."

"Put simply, these [the enemies] are the smartest, most aggressive, most tactically oriented AI opponents that we've ever encountered in a shooter, and they're downright impressive. The AI is incredibly sharp, and they'll do things that you don't expect, like pin you down while one of them flanks you. Or they'll pin you down and plop a grenade down next to you. These guys move around from cover to cover; they communicate with one another; they'll react to any sound or sight of you; and they'll also react if they see the beam of your flashlight approaching. They've got the same weapons that you do, and their guns do the same amount of damage to you as it does to them. So you've got to use cover and lean around corners as much as possible, because it doesn't take much to shred your armor and health to zero. This can create situations in which you're pinned down, firing desperately to keep their heads down while trying to figure a way out of your current situation. The AI can also take advantage of the game's physics system, and they can knock over objects to create cover."

"There are stretches in F.E.A.R. when you don't battle anything, and it's unsettling to search abandoned office buildings, finding nothing more than pools of blood or the voicemails left by family members trying to contact their loved ones. Then there are areas where you expect some kind of gargantuan throw-down and you brace yourself for battle, but nothing happens. You certainly feel like you're being watched the whole time, though, as there's always some kind of noise or rattling of objects to greet you, or the fleeting image of someone in the corner of your eye."

"This omnipresent tension combined with the outstanding combat make F.E.A.R. a superb game"

"Meanwhile, the audio in F.E.A.R. is outstanding, and the sounds go a long way to establishing the mood. In a game that's all about making you afraid of the dark, it's often the little noises that can send you spinning around, ready to blast whatever it is that created the sound. F.E.A.R. will mess with your sense of hearing a lot this way, particularly if you have any kind of surround sound system. Combat also sounds glorious, and you can hear almost every single noise in a firefight, from glass shattering apart, spent brass cartridges hitting the floor, and the thud of explosions. The voice acting is generally good, and you'll have plenty of opportunities to overhear the cloned soldiers discussing the latest happenings, or listening to a news report over the radio describing the escalating situation in the city. That's one of the cooler aspects of the game, in fact, because there's a palpable sense that events are spiraling out of control."

"F.E.A.R. is quite easily one of the most intense and atmospheric games that you'll play, and it's a spectacular blend of horror and action. You can't help but get the feeling that this is a game that's the spiritual successor to the original Half-Life, because it's so obviously inspired by that classic game. Indeed, some of the locations and enemies are highly reminiscent of those in Half-Life. This is a game that will thrill you one moment and scare you the next. F.E.A.R. features some of the greatest gunplay available in a first-person shooter, and it elevates the art of firing a gun to whole new levels. This alone makes it an incredibly intense game that must be experienced. The fact that it's also one of the creepiest games ever made is just icing on the cake."

Last edited:

ReaveR

HSC
I wet my pants today :(

Nah, F.E.A.R is an awesome game, though I kinda feel like the slow-mo makes it a bit too easy..

Collin

HSC
N/A
SashatheMan said:
if only i had a state of the art PC
Apparently Monolith claims that this game runs similar to HL2.. well, I would assume so since they said 'if you can run HL2 fine, you'll have no problems with this'. But even on my X800XT, this seems more of a Doom 3 than a HL2 :cool: .. well I'm running it on 10*7 (for some reason my monitor always falls back down to 75Hz when I run it on 12*10.. yes, my eyes are that picky that a difference from 85Hz to 75Hz annoys me) with 2xTSAA/4xAF and all the hardware enhancements on. The game looks utterly amazing and the firefights are just awesome. And of course this game scares the crap outta me compared to Doom 3.. but again the highlights are the firefights and in that respect I'm sure you can still enjoy it with some eyecandy shut down. I dunno how well HL2 ran on your card, but if you can narrow it down to 800x600, no TSAA/AF, texture levels down but all particle effects and some shadow effects on, this game will still be highly enjoyable.

*gets back to the game*

Collin

HSC
N/A
Komaticom said:
Without Reflex you'll get your ass served on a platter on more occasion than one.
Slo-mo is so cool. In a way it does make it easy but I certainly agree that if you didn't have it at certain parts of the game, you'd be screwed up the anal canal more than once. God overall can't stop emphasising how the firefights are so immersive and really has that gun-shooting destructive feeling. Wish I had a 7800GTX right about now :cool:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
JKDDragon said:
Apparently Monolith claims that this game runs similar to HL2.. well, I would assume so since they said 'if you can run HL2 fine, you'll have no problems with this'. But even on my X800XT, this seems more of a Doom 3 than a HL2 :cool: .. well I'm running it on 10*7 (for some reason my monitor always falls back down to 75Hz when I run it on 12*10.. yes, my eyes are that picky that a difference from 85Hz to 75Hz annoys me) with 2xTSAA/4xAF and all the hardware enhancements on. The game looks utterly amazing and the firefights are just awesome. And of course this game scares the crap outta me compared to Doom 3.. but again the highlights are the firefights and in that respect I'm sure you can still enjoy it with some eyecandy shut down. I dunno how well HL2 ran on your card, but if you can narrow it down to 800x600, no TSAA/AF, texture levels down but all particle effects and some shadow effects on, this game will still be highly enjoyable.

*gets back to the game*

nah turnign off all the visual sucks. i am trying to upgrade my comp.

how many gigs of ram u got? 1 or 2?

Collin

HSC
N/A
SashatheMan said:
nah turnign off all the visual sucks. i am trying to upgrade my comp.

how many gigs of ram u got? 1 or 2?
1, for this game I wish I had 2 though. If you're upgrading and don't intend to upgrade again for ages, I strongly suggest 2.

ReaveR

HSC
Komaticom said:
Without Reflex you'll get your ass served on a platter on more occasion than one.
Yes, about ten times so far lol!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Yeah, my friend got it yesterday and he says it's great, it's very realistic as in the way they die and stuff.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok want this game now...will it break my addiction to Battlefield 2..
I hated Doom 3 but really liked Half life 2...which game is F.E.A.R more like?

JKD: What are your system specs? I have an Athlon64 3500+, 1GB ram, 6600GT...reckon I can run 1024*768 with at least 2xAA/4xAF?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Minai that should run it fine.

Damn im still waiting for my 9800se to be rmaed :(

ReaveR

HSC
I'm running on 1024x768 medium (shadows off though, evil card killers they are) with a s754 64 3200+, gig of ram and a 128mb 9600xt, so Minai you could be able to bump up AA even, and Komaticom you'll be fine :)

Edit: Btw Gameplay more like HL2 but I don't appreciate the attempts to scare me with random images and whatnot :(

It's not in the dark like Doom lol

Last edited:

ReaveR

HSC
Komaticom said:
*Bounces with joy*

I read in the IGN review that when you load a save game, corpses in the area would spasm due to a glitch. I thought it might have been intentional, it's so fitting for a game like this.
What chip do you have, if I may ask?

I haven't noticed this spasm when loading save games, probably cos I don't hang around corpses in fear that they might well, spasm lol

I went in and changed some settings to low, runs bit smoother now, but still looks alright to me - got some screenies.

MrLiamSir

HSC
The AI's great, the way they jump through windows (no the OS, foolio) and hide behind tables. My favourite thing is that you can actually SEE YOUR OWN FEET! It's about time, too. I'm sick of floating a few feet above the ground...

Collin

HSC
N/A
Minai said:
Ok want this game now...will it break my addiction to Battlefield 2..
I hated Doom 3 but really liked Half life 2...which game is F.E.A.R more like?

JKD: What are your system specs? I have an Athlon64 3500+, 1GB ram, 6600GT...reckon I can run 1024*768 with at least 2xAA/4xAF?
I haven't gotten the full version yet, not enough money so basically I've still been bumming the demo everyday and atleast in the demo they don't offer (unless I'm blind) normal AA.. only TSAA which is more graphically intensive. Maybe you meant TSAA and just decided to call it AA for brevity.. in that case I apologise. Anyhow then, I'm running the demo at 2xTSAA/4xAF at 10*7 with all hardware/graphical settings at max.. and I estimate around 25-60fps average with an X800XT, 1GB RAM, Athlon64 3200+.. so assuming you run it at 2xTSAA/4xAF, 10*7, all hardware settings maxed (which sounds like what you wrote and of course is also what I'm running on).. then chances are you'll average around 15fps-60fps.. but again that's my estimation. nVidia cards do slightly worse than ATi for F.E.A.R and plus since your card wields slightly lower performance than mine I guess that's how my estimation came to be. But anyhow a 6600GT should be able to handle the game quite superbly in my opinion. However on my system atleast the game stutters sometimes for about half a second, say when entering a room or something. This happens occasionally and I'm betting that it's the high system mem requirements people have been talking about causing it. So yes, if you can grab 2GB of RAM.. then that might help.

Anyway, you can even try playing with no AF. Since AF primarily increases texture quality at long range.. and F.E.A.R doesn't really have large scope field of view maps plus the fact that it's a bit dark overall.. I would say AF isn't really that relevant. TSAA is pretty important though.. running on 2xTSAA some of the railings and stuff still has noticable aliasing visible.. if TSAA ends up killing off performance too much, you can try doing what alot of people did for Doom 3.. and that is try to increase res as much as possible to kill off aliasing instead of using AA. This worked quite well for Doom 3 and HL2 for some.. and resulted in less performance issues compared to using AA to try and resolve it instead.. so you can try that too.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Alright cool thanks, I'll take your advice about the AF too.
Might play around with the TSAA to see if I mind the jaggedness too much or not

*goes off to download demo*

ReaveR

HSC
JKDDragon said:
However on my system atleast the game stutters sometimes for about half a second, say when entering a room or something. This happens occasionally and I'm betting that it's the high system mem requirements people have been talking about causing it. So yes, if you can grab 2GB of RAM.. then that might help.
I lowered the performance settings and it stopped doing this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)