Factors Affecting High Marks (1 Viewer)

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
The first thing you need to do is assess your capabilities as objectively as possible - are you truly capable of 98.5? You need to understand that you cannot guarantee success - you need to have the natural ability and you also need a bit of luck on your side (i.e. some people get sick in the HSC year, some people get struck by major family tragedies etc). Be warned that you might do everything you can and fall short. Like I said, there are no guarantees.
False. No. Dead wrong.

The HSC doesn't test natural ability nor does it test intelligence. Unlike winning the nobel prize, anyone can get 98.50 given they put in the work, and study properly.

Triage

HSC
N/A
Re: 98.5+ plan

False. No. Dead wrong.

The HSC doesn't test natural ability nor does it test intelligence. Unlike winning the nobel prize, anyone can get 98.50 given they put in the work, and study properly.
This is what I have been told as well.

HSC

False. No. Dead wrong.

well that's debatable. It doesn't work if everyone suddenly does that since an ATAR is a rank after all...

enoilgam

HSC

False. No. Dead wrong.

You have no clue. Try going to a school rank 300, see some kids who struggle their ass off to get 75. Remember, even if everyone tries their utmost, the ATAR is a RANKING. Same amount of people will get 90+, 95+ etc. You got 99.95, so in your mind its easy - that doesnt make it easy for others.

I put in my absolute 100% best - and the best I could do was mid 90's. And I know I did my absolute best.

Siddy123

HSC

well that's debatable. It doesn't work if everyone suddenly does that since an ATAR is a rank after all...
yeah but the truth is not all students will study hard, those that do, even though may lack natural ability, will inevitably get great results.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Whoever told you that is spot on. And no, it's not debatable, it's a fact.
I'm going to have to disagree here.

Having taught many students (daresay much more than you), I see otherwise.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

I'm going to have to disagree here.

Having taught many students (daresay much more than you), I see otherwise.
Fair call. I guess we all have our own interpretations and views. My take on the HSC worked for me, my peers and when applied to my teaching methods, is working great for my students as well.

Peace!

barbernator

HSC

Fair call. I guess we all have our own interpretations and views. My take on the HSC worked for me, my peers and when applied to my teaching methods, is working great for my students as well.

Peace!
Sorry for off-topic messaging, but i have an idea for the first iSplicer meme.

Says "Peace!" and "I guess we all have our own interpretations and views"

Trolls for another 30+ posts on why his opinion is more valid :p

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

Sorry for off-topic messaging, but i have an idea for the first iSplicer meme.

Says "Peace!" and "I guess we all have our own interpretations and views"

Trolls for another 30+ posts on why his opinion is more valid :p
Haha scumbag isplicer:
ADMITS OTHERS' VIEWS ARE VALID
DISCUSSES LIKE HELL ANYWAY

Nah but seriously, isn't that the point of a forum? =P

Siddy123

HSC

i guess there's gotta be natural intelligence/ability involved, for eg. in 4u maths, in the last questions, that requires manipulation/exposure 2 questions and all the rest of it.4u english- must be creative and what not.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

Isplicer defied even Lesser odds.
My SC results were laughable, and I was always ranked average in my school up until Year 11. Don't listen to those who tell you there are no guarantees - if you put in the work and do it efficiently, you can get any ATAR you want.

Good luck dude/dudette!

jet

Banned
HSC

My SC results were laughable, and I was always ranked average in my school up until Year 11. Don't listen to those who tell you there are no guarantees - if you put in the work and do it efficiently, you can get any ATAR you want.

Good luck dude/dudette!
You were lucky enough to go to a school filled with capable students. There are many other cases on these forums where the overall quality of the cohort means that you just can't do that well.

@ the OP: Getting into a regular study plan is good. In terms of doing the HSC exams, there are some strategies when can make it easier for you. E.g. looking for patterns in exams to predict what you might get asked and hone in on what to study.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

You were lucky enough to go to a school filled with capable students. There are many other cases on these forums where the overall quality of the cohort means that you just can't do that well.

@ the OP: Getting into a regular study plan is good. In terms of doing the HSC exams, there are some strategies when can make it easier for you.
Unfortunately that's true - being in a quality cohort helps in that you're competing with motivated, efficiently studying peers. It's still possible to get 99.95 theoretically in any school though (just be ranked first in everything), but it's that much harder because you're under the influence of those whose priorities may not align with the concept of getting high ATARs (not that there's anything wrong with that).

qwerty44

HSC

Unfortunately that's true - being in a quality cohort helps in that you're competing with motivated, efficiently studying peers. It's still possible to get 99.95 theoretically in any school though (just be ranked first in everything), but it's that much harder because you're under the influence of those whose priorities may not align with the concept of getting high ATARs (not that there's anything wrong with that).
I saw you said somewhere else that people in your cohort hated 4U Maths yet still did well. And now you are saying that this "work hard and get whatever ATAR you want" strategy has worked for everyone in your cohort and students.

All these people it has worked for have been naturally intelligent people. By the sounds of it you believe anyone can get any ATAR because you don't seem to have been exposed to students less capable (less capable doesn't mean low-to-average at Balko).

Don't worry about a 300+ school, come to mine which isn't even ranked and you will meet less capable students who just don't understand concepts no matter how many time you tell them and how many different ways you tell them. It just doesn't click for them.

But I will agree on the fact that the HSC doesn't test intelligence as much as it should.

mike12345678

HSC
personally (despite not finishing my HSC) i think that receiving an ATAR of up to 95 is achievable with hard work and dedication. BUT a persons exam strategy and technique will impact how high an ATAR one receives.

e.g in a business studies exam even if you know all the content off by heart you may not be able to receive a mark of 95 raw if you cannot answer the questions correctly or be able to write a business report.

thats my personal view :)

such_such

HSC
I think I know what OP is getting at. Even though sometimes things son't 'click' for certain people, it shouldn't stop them from trying. Most people would give up and use the excuse of, "I don't need this for my future job..." But if you put enough effort in and keep doing the same/similar questions over and over again, you're bound to improve!

Generally.

4U maths could be one of those exceptions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)