• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

failed my yr 11 half yearly exam (1 Viewer)

shayla

HSC
Hi pplz
Just floating around checking the different forums out, then i saw here. I failed my MH exam badly 6.5/40! As embarrassing as that is for me to say, i want to do better and i love MH, so i was wondering, is there any specific way to study or try and understand Modern History better, or is it only through studying that i can improve? Cause most people in my class, are good at the course, understanding it and they are good at exams and public speaking, however, i am not. The last thing that i want for my yearly is to come last in my class, like i am now, for my yearly exam and HSC.

Hannah

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Read as much books as you can. They provide so much information on your case studies, core study and historical investigations. Know your facts, dates, events and characters. The Internet and encyclopaedias have so many resources as well.

Make your notes. Its your choice. If it makes it easier for you to remember things, then do it. Practise essays and past papers.

Know how to analyse a source correctly. Know the difference between usefulness and reliability, and all the factors that come along with analysing sources. Practice!

Yeah, if you want to know your content very well, READ!

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
shayla said:
Hi pplz
Just floating around checking the different forums out, then i saw here. I failed my MH exam badly 6.5/40! As embarrassing as that is for me to say, i want to do better and i love MH, so i was wondering, is there any specific way to study or try and understand Modern History better, or is it only through studying that i can improve? Cause most people in my class, are good at the course, understanding it and they are good at exams and public speaking, however, i am not. The last thing that i want for my yearly is to come last in my class, like i am now, for my yearly exam and HSC.

Hannah
If you were to love MH so badly, then how could you get 6.5/40? Because even a recount of events, would get you decent mark, as you are at least demonstrating knowledge of whatever you are studying. There is no logic in your statement.

Hell, all you need to do is MH is know your history, whilst being able to link it to the question given to you - Just like any other essay writing subject.

Guevara

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
Hell, all you need to do is MH is know your history, whilst being able to link it to the question given to you - Just like any other essay writing subject.
Not all of us find it that easy.

Hannah, studying for exams is a very personal thing. What I mean by this is you need to try and find your 'space'. That doesn't mean not taking advice from the people around you who want to help! I'm saying figure out which way you study best: whether it is by reading, writing and/or listening and find a place you feel comfortable in with minimal distractions. Sounds like a bit of a task... but here is my trick: I just either turn of my damn computer or leave my room. Those two things take up more time then anything else so if I don't need the computer I try to at least only be listening to music rather then MSN/Myspace/Forums/whatever!
Goodluck Hannah and PS... I'm also coming last in my Mod-History class... I know how you feel.

ALLLICE

HSC
shayla said:
Hi pplz

Hannah
Are you having trouble with essay structure? That's often the case with low grades like that. Even if you have some of the facts right it's important that you form a coherent argument, otherwise it gets to the point where a teacher can't give you any more marks. Remember: introduction with key points to be discussed, paragraphs with topic sentences and further explanation of the key points, and finally sum up your info in a conclusion.

Btw- I wan't so great in yr 11 MH (marks were 60-70%- if that) but I found I improved a lot in yr 12 and got grades in the 80s and 90s... and now I'm doing a history unit this semester at uni and I'm getting easy distinctions. Just remember there is hope :). So long as you're keen, work hard and have a passion for history you can make an improvement for sure.

Last edited:

bango skank

HSC
Guevara said:
Not all of us find it that easy.

Hannah, studying for exams is a very personal thing. What I mean by this is you need to try and find your 'space'. That doesn't mean not taking advice from the people around you who want to help! I'm saying figure out which way you study best: whether it is by reading, writing and/or listening and find a place you feel comfortable in with minimal distractions. Sounds like a bit of a task... but here is my trick: I just either turn of my damn computer or leave my room. Those two things take up more time then anything else so if I don't need the computer I try to at least only be listening to music rather then MSN/Myspace/Forums/whatever!
Goodluck Hannah and PS... I'm also coming last in my Mod-History class... I know how you feel.

compleatly right

for me its heavy metal up load and reading i also love MH

make sure you answer the question!!

some teachers no matter how well you know your stuff if you dont answer the question you will get shit all!

Purple 2

HSC
the questions teachers can ask can only be based on the syllabus so when u r summarisin or making ur study notes summarise using the syllabus headings. teh syllabus can be found on the boardofstudies site. hope it helps

el gwapo

HSC
for a score that low, you must forget a lot of things, or simply you didn't learn it. you must have written close to nothing..which may suggest the question caught you out

i would say practice essays, but unless you don't know your content it'll be fairly useless.

yosemite sam

HSC
make sure you actually understand what it is youre meant to be writing about...if you dont get what the teacher is talking about - ask! it doesnt matter that youre coming last and if other people say its stupid or annoying or whatever when you ask questions, you have a right to learn so ask as many questions as you need to.

Zephyrio

HSC
Study, make notes on important dates and stuff. Look at your essays and write one weekly even, and hand that into your teacher for a look-over. Participate in class more - that will surely help you. Revise constantly.

Hannah, if you scored 6.5/40, the only direction you can go, is up now. Don't despair because there is hope for you to succeed. It seems to me that there could be two possible problems:

a) You don't know the material that your module demands of you or
b) you have questions but you write a lot of irrelevant information.

I do well in modern, so if you need help, feel free to PM me. :)

- L.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)