Failed... what next? (1 Viewer)

lil tiger

Say you fail in getting the UAI you want ( i want law at USyd) what is the next best option?I've heard repeating at TAFE. How does that work?

How about getting into law through high achievements in another course?

What is the best option. Pls i want to know

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Honestly, if you're the sort that's going to repeat at TAFE, you have NO CHANCE to do law...
If you miss by a tiny bit, do it at UNSW, or transfer. I believe lazarus did that.
There is always Graduate Law, which will take an extra year. Don't give up. :)

Note to teh winnar: when you're a little more judicious with your caps, do you notice it has a bit more impact? :p

Wohzazz

HSC
How do transfers work and graduate law? I want to know too

Originally posted by Someguy123
or going to a uni that has a lower cut off or picking a different course
Some people want to do it at the best or at least one of the best.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If you get into uni, shouldn't that be enough. What about all these people who only get a uai of like 50. And its not cause they are lazy, but because according to the board of studies, its not a "hard" subject. You should be greatful if u get into anything in uni.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by Estel
There is always Graduate Law, which will take an extra year. Don't give up. :)
are you sure that Graduate Law is only one year? i heard that it is 3 years at Usyd :confused:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yeah but combined Law is 5, normal degree is 3 so it takes the 3yrs for the first degree, then anothe 3 for Law.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
When I said it will take an extra year, I meant it will take an extra year in comparison with doing the combined degree. (which is basically what Xayma explained- I think).

Transfers: I don't think I know enough about them to say much (I'd like to think I won't need them but ah well)
Graduate Law: After you've done a bachelor degree you can apply to do graduate law, a three year program at Sydney University. You need a distinction av. I believe to be considered, and the intake is about 80. Apparently competition is high, but what can you do?

CAPE: why try in life? why aren't people happy with their sad wretched existences?...don't dabble in the gratitude argument :p

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Go to UoW that has about 90 as the cut off

Estel

Tutor
HSC
But the thing is, if you're not going to be the best or near the best in a given field, is there any point in doing it?

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
But the thing is, if you're not going to be the best or near the best in a given field, is there any point in doing it?
it depends on why you're entering given field. if it is because you think you would enjoy the work, and help people, you are going to do both those things regardless of the cutoff mark required for entry at the 'best or near best' university. if you're doing it because you want to make alot of money, then Giant Lobster is right:

Originally posted by Giant Lobster
nah
but i still think thats a bad attitude :p

Giant Lobster

HSC
Well doing a course because you like it and not doing it for the money is noble indeed. You all hear those rumours of people getting 100s and settling for mid 80s courses because they actually want to do whatever it is... and I'll bet they are mostly true too.

But the thing is... the vast, vast majority of people are driven by gain. Well I've lost my argument but the point is, for most purposes, there is not much point doing something if you're not in the best.

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by virgin^sexy
it depends on why you're entering given field. if it is because you think you would enjoy the work, and help people, you are going to do both those things regardless of the cutoff mark required for entry at the 'best or near best' university.
that is for the few passionate people in our world who really really want to get into a course to pursue their passion. but if they are THAT passionate about their work, shouldnt they get the required UAI for entry at any of the top unis??
Bottomline, i believe everyone want to stand out and be the best in what they work at, so i think it is only natural for people to pursue the best uni for their chosen field. It is not just one bad attitude. It is reality.

Wohzazz

HSC

Transfers: I don't think I know enough about them to say much (I'd like to think I won't need them but ah well)
Graduate Law: After you've done a bachelor degree you can apply to do graduate law, a three year program at Sydney University. You need a distinction av. I believe to be considered, and the intake is about 80. Apparently competition is high, but what can you do?
80 people? Is distinction like a grade in high school or is it a percentile, like top 10%?

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Well doing a course because you like it and not doing it for the money is noble indeed. You all hear those rumours of people getting 100s and settling for mid 80s courses because they actually want to do whatever it is... and I'll bet they are mostly true too.

But the thing is... the vast, vast majority of people are driven by gain. Well I've lost my argument but the point is, for most purposes, there is not much point doing something if you're not in the best.
Well we know your motivation
*gestures to the thread christened "I want moneys"

Giant Lobster

HSC
hey! shhhhh.. :p
Nah I wasnt serious
If i fail aerospace (which is likely) THEN ill sell my soul and pursue something rich like actuarial.. and become *shudder* part of the mediocre...

Calculon

HSC
N/A
hey! shhhhh.. :p
Nah I wasnt serious
If i fail aerospace (which is likely) THEN ill sell my soul and pursue something rich like actuarial.. and become *shudder* part of the mediocre...
If you fail to get aerospace you can go flexi or aeronautical and get a distinction average, which I'm sure wouldn't be difficult for you since English doesn't form part of the assessment criterea, unlike the HSC.

Giant Lobster

HSC
nah backup plan is to go mecha(space) and transfer... its the space component which is 'special' right? well anywho...

-or- if im money hungry, and i have the uai, ill go opto. NOT cos i want to help ppl... fuck em, i want to sell glasses at a 12000% profit :p

Calculon

HSC
N/A
nah backup plan is to go mecha(space) and transfer... its the space component which is 'special' right? well anywho...

-or- if im money hungry, and i have the uai, ill go opto. NOT cos i want to help ppl... fuck em, i want to sell glasses at a 12000% profit :p
The first year of aeronautics is exactly the same as aerospace (90% sure). I get the feeling that with a sufficiently good UAI you will become the next keypad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)