Failing 3 subjects! Any hope?! :( (1 Viewer)

auota

HSC
Ok! I know it's shocking, but I actually had some MAJOR family problems since I started uni this year ( am a first year student )
I will DEFINITLEY fail 3 subjects this semester, I am so sure coz I haven't turned up to most of my pracs, tuts and lectures!
I will probably get an absence fail, so am failing even if i pass my finals.

I have always been an overachiever at school, so I know I will do well next semester, but am scared that failing 3 subjects will screw me up for the rest of my degree...any thoughts?
do you recon i have any hope in getting a decent WAM if I did well in the following semesters?

Thanks.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Try your best to dig your way out. And if you fail that, well just retake it next year and spend the time in between developing the maturity and strength to learn properly. Im really sorry, but I guess the best thing to do is take this as a learning experience, hopefully the panic you feel will shock you into improving yourself. Anyway, its just one year out of, what, 80 or something?

glache

HSC
N/A
Email the course coordinators ASAP. In the meantime, book yourself into the counselling service ASAP so you can get any certification that's required--there's probably other people who can certify you've had family issues but I know the counselling service can definitely do it.

sinophile2

HSC
N/A
Email the course coordinators ASAP. In the meantime, book yourself into the counselling service ASAP so you can get any certification that's required--there's probably other people who can certify you've had family issues but I know the counselling service can definitely do it.
Whats that going to do? Will it give the person special consideration or something?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
If you don't have a good reason (which you don't) take the fails drop out for a year get a FULL TIME job so you actually get into a cycle of doing shit

auota

HSC
the subjects are
CHEM
BABS
FRENCH

and I did apply for a special consideration and spoke to my course coordinator, they said they will TRY to help out! I dunno....

I figured failing the CHEM and BABS will make me end up one year late for my graduation if they are pre requisite for my major right?? because they only offered in Sem-1...am I correct??

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Since you said you haven't attended classes then I fear even if you were granted a resit it wouldn't help you much.

The pre-req issue is a non-issue because even if they weren't you will have to repeat those units and be one year late anyway (unless you overload or do summer). Depending on what degree you're doing you can choose no pre-req electives to fill up your units next sem.

Regarding WAM issue, it really just all depends on you. You can do the maths yourself to see what marks you need to revert your overall WAM, it is easier since you're only first year and you still have a long way to make up your marks. If you're certain that what pulled you down is because of your family problems, then I think it is very likely that you can pull things back up assuming those problems are resolved.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Get onto your course co-ordinators ASAP, In my first year I had a lecturer guarantee me a passing grade if I showed up to the final exam.

If you can't find a way out of your situation WITHDRAW, withdraw from the courses so that you don't have a fail counting against your transcript.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Well yeh, you are kind of screwed. The fails will appear on your transcript and if you did realise that family problems would cause such catastrophic problems, you should have withdrawn from your courses at the start of the semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)