• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

failing a prelim exam (1 Viewer)

afourgridbook

HSC
im planning to go into my modern prelim exam without studying and just winging everything because im dropping the subject next year. is this a bad idea? and will it badly affect my early entry offers. for context ive gotten an A and B on the other modern assessments from this year and i don't think i can pass the prelim exam.

nicoleliloveshisoka

HSC
i would try my best, just review as much as you can and see how far that gets you. Giving up on an exam doesn't feel good trust me, at least try. Especially if you're trying to do early entry.

Test-king12

Banned
HSC
im planning to go into my modern prelim exam without studying and just winging everything because im dropping the subject next year. is this a bad idea? and will it badly affect my early entry offers. for context ive gotten an A and B on the other modern assessments from this year and i don't think i can pass the prelim exam.
better off illness missadventuring it and getting the q's from your friends or a mark estimation.

iloveeggs

HSC
i hope you dont do that. im planning to drop modern too and i didnt feel like studying for it at all, but i watched some videos and read over some notes the night before for maybe an hour or 2. just do bare minimum studying and go over the general idea of each concept bc its very hard to yap about something you dont really know about and it could drop you pretty badly if you genuinely get a failing score.

while i dont think failing the y11 course will set you back that badly in terms of y12 or in terms of early entry but is it really worth doing no study at all?

iloveeggs

HSC
Wait so then how does that work with other schools where their internals are much harder? Like if some schools have easier internals, how do they like balance it out with other schools
thats the whole point of moderation for hsc marks. they use your internal rank to describe your performance within the cohort instead of using your actual internal mark, bc all internals are made the same. so having easier internal tasks is not beneficial for your hsc marks or your atar necessarily, its actually more harmful bc you will get a serious overestimate of your performance in the hsc. i highly suggest watching this video bc it helps you understand how you end up with whatever hsc mark you get:

it can be beneficial to have early entry to have easier assessment tasks in y11 but you have to think about it this way: if unis cared about their future students having outstanding academic performance they would not offer early entry in the first place, take medicine for example that doesnt and probably never will offer early entry. some courses just dont require high academic performance and thats okay. let people that get early entry live a little, if they were really that dumb they will drop out of uni on their own

it is very hard to even get 90%+ in anything unless ur literally an actual genius in subjects like english and even modern to an extent in my school, let alone without sweating ur balls off.
maybe your school is bad at english or modern or some shit? sure i get it some subjects are hard to band 6 but they are not impossible, if your cohort is struggling that hard to make a 90 in english, especially eng adv id suggest tutoring.

ppl in baulko, nsg, nsb, ruse can do it, and they dont bitch about kids from lower ranking schools having inflated grades bc they are too busy acing the hsc. you don't put people down unless you want to pull yourself up

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Let me make one thing very clear.

If you engage in derailing a thread or making insults to another user, you will be infracted. I do not care which side of the argument you are on, that type of behaviour is unacceptable on this forum.

Anyone who continues to derail the thread or make personal attacks towards another user will be infracted accordingly.

Protip: If you want to debate a point of disagreement, do it in a relevant thread in a mature manner and debate the content not the person. If someone is making a personal attack against you, then just report the post and move on. Do NOT engage or resort to making personal attacks back or else you may both get infracted.

afourgridbook

HSC
i read through some notes for about an hour before the exam and memorised an rough essay bc the question was very easy to predict. i think i'll do quite well considering my lack of studying yay!

Solarised

HSC
i read through some notes for about an hour before the exam and memorised an rough essay bc the question was very easy to predict. i think i'll do quite well considering my lack of studying yay!
I do modern history, and I find it a rather easy subject, that requires minimal study imo. I was able to do very well in my trials basically getting a low b6 for it. I think you have the capabilities of doing well and I think failing is not in our favour lol, you should fly through the test easily. Try to aim for at least a C or B as it can aid you in your application for universities through their early entry schemes. Wish you the best of luck 👍

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)