Failing a Unit (1 Viewer)

Scorch

HSC
Well, just a question, because I'm ever so slightly curious.

I'm a second year doing a BArts, I'm majoring in Ancient History. I've been doing well, with a distinction and 3 credits 1st semester, but second semester was a genuinely shit semester for a variety of reasons and I got 2 credits, a pass but then one fail in Introductory Latin 2. That's enough of a pain in the ass as it is (even though I still have a credit average) as I have to redo that somehow (summer school I guess) but I was wondering whether there's a huge stigma attached to failing a unit of study? Like ... even if I redo the unit I assume it will still show up, but will it appear as a terrible blotch on my student record or is it really not that bad?

KarmaKitten

HSC
Depends what kind of positions you are going for. Graduate positions I've heard can be incredibly competitive and they may look down on your fail.
While other employers might not be too concerned about it. Its hard to say

As for redoing a subject. You can apply to overload next semester or next year. Saves summer school money!

u-borat

Banned
HSC
hey guys
not to be mean (i do arts)

but like

what employment are you looking at in the future
where you will need latin?

keke

u-borat

Banned
HSC
i was replying to your answer yo

ur the one that brought up employment and shizz :wave:

KarmaKitten

HSC
I was merely discussing failing a subject in general regardless of whether its Latin or something else.

From what I've gathered from friends who've gone through the graduate recruitment program, employers were more concerned as to why you failed rather than what you failed.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Well, just a question, because I'm ever so slightly curious.

I'm a second year doing a BArts, I'm majoring in Ancient History. I've been doing well, with a distinction and 3 credits 1st semester, but second semester was a genuinely shit semester for a variety of reasons and I got 2 credits, a pass but then one fail in Introductory Latin 2. That's enough of a pain in the ass as it is (even though I still have a credit average) as I have to redo that somehow (summer school I guess) but I was wondering whether there's a huge stigma attached to failing a unit of study? Like ... even if I redo the unit I assume it will still show up, but will it appear as a terrible blotch on my student record or is it really not that bad?
Um, in terms of what?

You want to do a PhD after you graduate?

Scorch

HSC
I was merely discussing failing a subject in general regardless of whether its Latin or something else.

From what I've gathered from friends who've gone through the graduate recruitment program, employers were more concerned as to why you failed rather than what you failed.
Well that's not too bad. I'm not too concerned by it, because it was a one off thing, but given I'm looking into going into Honours (for which I have the required credit average even with the fail, but still need a year of Latin or Ancient Greek afaik) and then post-grad study, I guess I shouldn't be all that concerned?

And overloading next semester could get ugly with timetable clashes but I might try it if they don't offer it in summer school.

Um, in terms of what?

You want to do a PhD after you graduate?
Yah possibly.

Last edited:
HSC
As I understand it, entry into an Arts PhD program primarily depends upon how well you do in your honours year or masters degree. Failing an undergraduate unit shouldn't be too much of a problem, assuming you're able to get the required marks in honours/masters.

izzy88

HSC
based on past years they don't offer latin as a summer school subject- actually the only subject ancient generally offers is the summer school in Rome- which whilst a lovely thing to do, is s a bit too expensive for me! (i'm trying to find somewhere i can learn greek in summer school or something but not having any luck!)

but it shouldn't matter as long as you catch up the latin in second semester.

You don't necessarily have to overload (overloading with latin would probably be rather difficult and your other units might suffer). Maybe look at just doing a history or some other arts unit in summer school? (just to keep up the required number of units you need for arts degree), it doesn't have to contribute to your ancient major (if you can afford it- summer school aren't hecs supported unfortunately)

Scorch

HSC
The problem is that in order to get into Honours in Ancient History you have to do two semesters of an ancient language, so I have to redo that semester of latin. Overloading with latin would make things difficult, and an extra semester at uni is not appealing. When do they announce what subjects are offered for summer school?

As I understand it, entry into an Arts PhD program primarily depends upon how well you do in your honours year or masters degree. Failing an undergraduate unit shouldn't be too much of a problem, assuming you're able to get the required marks in honours/masters.
And in turn, failing an undergrad unit shouldn't be a problem as far as getting into honours goes as long as I have the required credit average and such?

HSC
As far as I am aware, as long as you have the credit average you should be fine. My experience with the sociology department suggests that the arts faculty is quite flexible - so if you have had extenuatng circumstances that have resulted in lower than usual marks, they may take that into account.

Have you considered doing one of the ancient history units at summer school, and then doing latin during second semester next year?

Scorch

HSC
As far as I am aware, as long as you have the credit average you should be fine. My experience with the sociology department suggests that the arts faculty is quite flexible - so if you have had extenuatng circumstances that have resulted in lower than usual marks, they may take that into account.

Have you considered doing one of the ancient history units at summer school, and then doing latin during second semester next year?
Well failing Latin being offered over summer school, that actually seems to be the best option (and one that hadn't entered my mind actually). If I do a senior ancient history unit over summer school and then Latin during second semester in my 3rd year, everything should work out rather neatly without the need for overloading, which gets ugly.

Are senior ancient history units usually offered over summer school?

Thanks very much for the advice as well Silver Persian.

spence

HSC
According to this
there was only one offered this year, which is the one in Rome
ps. are you Travis?

izzy88

HSC
fairly sure the only summer school unit for ancient being offered is the course actually in Rome (though it is a senior unit). That's all they've done for quite a few years now, although you could always ask them to put on another unit- see how many people would go for it!

I don't see an issue in completing a unit for your other major (guessing you've got two majors) at summer school and then doing latin and two ancients or whatever next semester.

On another note- you could catch up on the latin next semester couldn't you rather than second semester next year? just on a practical basis of remembering latin from semester one last year and then having such a long gap until second semester next year...could be difficult! although on the other hand you might actually remember some latin for your honours- i did latin in first year and now first semester third year and i'm not sure i remember a thing!!

Scorch

HSC
According to this
there was only one offered this year, which is the one in Rome
ps. are you Travis?
Totally dude, who're you?

I don't see an issue in completing a unit for your other major (guessing you've got two majors) at summer school and then doing latin and two ancients or whatever next semester.
Well I don't have another major per se, but I'm doing Archaeology as well, so yes I could do that and still be able to major in ancient ya, but then again they don't seem to offer any archaeology ones either. The only other senior subjects I could conceivably do, it seems, are those in Italian. I guess I just need to hope they offer some this year.

On another note- you could catch up on the latin next semester couldn't you rather than second semester next year? just on a practical basis of remembering latin from semester one last year and then having such a long gap until second semester next year...could be difficult! although on the other hand you might actually remember some latin for your honours- i did latin in first year and now first semester third year and i'm not sure i remember a thing!!
Well given the class I failed was Introductory 2, which is run in second semester, not really. :p

Scorch

HSC
Chris. Was in your ancient tute last semester
Ah yes, I remember. I have you on facebook and everything. xD You were doing polisci or economics or something weren't you? Are you doing any Ancient this sem?

spence

HSC
Ah yes, I remember. I have you on facebook and everything. xD You were doing polisci or economics or something weren't you? Are you doing any Ancient this sem?
Yeah I was doing economic and social sciences but I changed to arts. Yeah I'm doing ancient, still first year though, Foundations for Greece. And next sem I'll either be doing Greek religion or Greek and Roman Epic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)