Failing Ext 2 Maths = No atar? (1 Viewer)

yumin32

HSC
N/A
I am really scared but i have failed my extension 2 maths half yearlies and it's worth 40% of my school assessment. Do I have any hopes of getting an ATAR of 90? My parents are expecting an ATAR of atleast 90 for me so I am really scared. I am doing well in my other subjects but I only have 10 units. Can someone please give me some advise and help me out? I think My parents will literally kick me out of the house if i get an ATAR of 70-80 . Thank you.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Even if you fail all your subjects ypu will still get an atar.

tattoo2200

HSC
N/A
being top20-25% in 4 unit is like being top 1% in english, physics of chem. If you do average its ok no worries just worry about the other 8 units of your hsc. People always concentrate on their maths and forget about their other equally important subjects. So dont worry. Just think that you also have other subjects

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You can't really 'fail' a HSC subject, it will still always go towards your ATAR (as long as you turn in some kind of assessments, and do the exam or misadventure at the end of they year).

MX2 does scale really well, in previous years, a slight fail raw, has been aligned up to an E3. Also there's still some of your school assessment left, and the final exam.

Also a 90 ATAR is definitely not written off, people can pull that score out with not the best internals if they do well in the externals. I quickly used the Talent100 calc to pull off the MX2 score that roughly equates to a 90 ATAR(scaled mark 36.9), and that was a 58. Which considering MX2's aligning before that is pretty good.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
i got 71 in mx2 with cramming the night or two before and managed to get 94.1 as an atar. mx2 scales highly, therefore you should study more for those that dont scale as well

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
wow :s, u sure 40% for half yearlies? their normally only 10-20.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Do what I did. Get a 96% and 97% in MX2 in your next two exams. You will most likely be ranked first in your class if you do that, especially in the yearly.
Then just make sure you do good on the day of the external.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
By the way, you do 4-unit, English, Physics and Chemistry but you want to do Combined Law lol?

Aliceey

HSC
What's wrong with that..?

I chose subjects that would help maximise my ATAR and those that I am interested in. Lack of humanities in my subject combo doesn't have any bearing on my decision of what I want to pursue in the future ie. Law and I'll have you know, many, many people with this combo are also gunning for the same course.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
No there is nothing wrong. I didn't mean to offend. I know a person who was a mad IT expert but ended up doing accounting in uni, which is something completely different.

You can also get a very high ATAR with the humanities, especially in Economics, but I guess you are right about maximising the ATAR with that combo.
I guess this is the biggest problem with the HSC. It tends to prevent people from doing the subjects in year 12 necessary to their degree.

Nevertheless, good luck with your studies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)