Failing Final = Failing Course? (1 Viewer)

Acid

HSC
Quick question - In 1st year Commerce... if you fail a final exam but when you factor in your other assessments, your final mark is still a pass, do you fail the course anyway?

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
i think you still pass. I know someone who failed their final qma exam last year but got a pass overall.

tempco

HSC
not 100% sure, but heard it off-hand that it's a yes.

i mean if it was a no, what mark would you need to pass micro?

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
lol, so in theory, you're saying almost all people who pass the finals will have credit or higher.

launcher169

Lord of Chaos
HSC
for most classes it is pass the finals and achieve a mark about 50 overall....you pass the class....but like for accounting it is more consideration...you need to get about 50 or really close, and you need to make a satisfactory attempt at all assessments

other subjects have their own rules but generically it is to pass get about 50 overall and pass the most of the assessments especially the final...that is a must!

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
The rule is this (i think):
If you fail the final exam but still acheive a composite mark >50, then you will pass the course, unless it is in your course outline that you need to pass your final.

For Accounting 1A, when I did it last year, you could fail the final, but still pass the course overall. However, in our first lecture of 1B, the Lect in Charge told us that for 1B you MUST pass the final, and that lots of 1A students that failed the final were still passed.

So, safest thing to do is to check the course outline. Either that, or don't fail your final. Good Luck everyone.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
mm yes - as what mr shittles said - some courses require you to pass the final to pass the course

However, most courses have introduced the "satisfactorily complete all assessments" to pass the course (I think in acct 2B last year, you could get over50 but still get unsatisfactory fail)

also, getting a mark of 50 does not always mean adding up your raw assessment marks, "bell-curving" could be used by your lecturer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)