Fantasy? (1 Viewer)

tempco

HSC
I've seen a lot of people reading classic books, but not many have posted about fantasy books... I'm an avid reader or this genre, and here are some recommendations:

- Sabriel trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen) by Garth Nix
- Rhapsody trilogy (Rhapsody, Prophecy, Destiny) by Elizabeth Haydon
- Death Gate Cycle (7 books) by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
- Halfblood Chronicles trilogy (Elvenbane, Elvenblood, Elvenborn *another book coming out soon) by Mercedes Lackey

Enjoy!

arls

Northern lights was pretty good.. forgotten the author.. as usual!

tempco

HSC
Originally posted by natstar
would LOTR's count
Yep... never got into reading them though... I heard that it went overboard with description of places/people... stretched out or something. Might pick it up some time soon.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I'm getting the LoTR set for Christmas, I love the movies and I can't wait to read the books.

Alethia

hitting dead ends
HSC
I read two trilogies by Sara Douglas... The Axis Trilogy and The Wayfarer Redeption. They were excellent, in fact the word excellent is an understatement! Read Axis first because Wayfarer is set 40 years after.

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Originally posted by arls
Northern lights was pretty good.. forgotten the author.. as usual!
Philip Pullman. He wrote a trilogy, it's called His Dark Materials.
Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, and the Amber Spyglass.

I really enjoyed them, and although they're under the children's section in bookshops, they're still suitable for older readers I think.

Generator

HSC
N/A
For a series that goes nowhere try 'The Wheel of Time' by Robert Jordan. Most people enjoyed the first five books, but I didn't mind the next five, too (although that isn't to say that the series has stopped at ten books).

Another ongoing story is the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series by George R R Martin.

Everyone knows about Pratchett.

Macross

I liked the Isobelle Carmody books and Raymond E. Fiest when i was younger~!

Isobelle Carmody's Darksong - Darkfall trilogy is interesting :) lots of character depth but if you're into plot it is a bit slow :)

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Oh, Isobelle Carmody is my all-time favourite author!
Her books rock my world! (Yes, I'm a nerd!)
The Obernewtyn Chronicles are the best, although the Darkfall series is also good!

I also agree with Garth Nix being good.
Also: The Bone Doll's twin (can't wait to read the rest of the Tamir Trilogy) by Lynn Flewelling
Oh, oh, and the Sevenwater's trilogy by Juliet Marillier!

Haha, I'm a massive fantasy reader.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Ahh, I forgot to mention several things:
1. Philip Pullman = awesome! I went through an obsession with the Dark Materials trilogy when I was in yr 10 I think it was!
2. Trudi Canavan's books are also reaally good! I still haven't read the final book in her trilogy, because I'm too poor to buy it and the library doesn't have it. Eh.

Ok, this time I'm really done.

Katgurl

The only problem with Isobelle Carmody is that she never bloody finishes her books!
I really like Raymond E. Feist, the "Daughter of the Empire" series that he did with Janny Wurts is really good, i am re-reading it at the moment.
Another series that is quite good is by Tracy Harding, she wrote a series about some chick who gets transported back in time to medieval england, the language is a little strange at first but you get used to it and it is a really good series, i think it is called Ancient Future or something
I agree the Dark Materials trilogy was great, and it is suitable for older readers, i know quite a few adults who love that series

Macross

Originally posted by glitter burns
The Obernewtyn Chronicles are the best, although the Darkfall series is also good!
hehe Obernewtyn was really good !! i liked the concept and all~ btw is the series finished yet? because the last time i read it wasnt :(

Originally posted by glitter burns
Raymond E. Feist, the "Daughter of the Empire"
Haha yeah~ Its really different from all the other fantasy books~! i like the political/powerplay aspect of the novel!! The Magician is good too :) A nice intro into Feist's world.

On a side note Kate Forsyth - Witches of Eileanan is also a good read~ its a really interesting book on witches which are quite rare~

Robin Hobb's Assassin Trilogy is also really good~ lots of depth to it~ and unlike movies or some other books the protagonist is actually "human" - i.e. a credible character which you can empathise with.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Originally posted by Macross
hehe Obernewtyn was really good !! i liked the concept and all~ btw is the series finished yet? because the last time i read it wasnt :(
no, there's still one more book to be released! i've been waiting anxiously for it for years... i've heard rumours it's due out in either 2004 or 2006.... here's hoping it's 2004!!

mckezz

Yeah I've read Robin Hobb's Assassin Trilogy. I thought it was great, lots of believable characters. Her Liveship Trilogy is pretty awsome aswell although the last book is a bit tedious.
I recommend them to anyone!!!!!!! :D

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
The Sword of Truth Series (Terry Goodkind)
Pretty much anything by David and Leigh Eddings (including "Regina's Song" (which isn't fantasy :))

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Originally posted by Alethia
I read two trilogies by Sara Douglas... The Axis Trilogy and The Wayfarer Redeption. They were excellent, in fact the word excellent is an understatement! Read Axis first because Wayfarer is set 40 years after.
i thought axis trilogy was reali reali damn good, but wayfarer became way too fantasy and sorta unbelievable...axis trilogy at least seemed feasible

Inhuman

HSC
wow... you guys are my kinda people *hugs everyone*

most of my favourites have already been mentioned but there's always more good stuff out there

Holly Lisle's Secret Texts trilogy and the prequel Vincalis the Agitator (but stay away from her other series)

Thraxas books are good but i can't remember who wrote those

Benno

HSC
Good to see David eddings named all his books are top shit

does anyone know any other good fantasys like them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)