FAQ-King Lear (1 Viewer)

tomcats 72

HSC
King lear isn't an easy text to study. I had trouble with it to, so don't worry your not the only one. just move on and ask your teacher how you could improve and where you went wrong

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
if you have oxford school of shakespeare its much easier!!

i have some of the notes that i wrote, do you want me to lad them up? i've scanned them...

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
wrong_turn said:

i have some of the notes that i wrote, do you want me to lad them up? i've scanned them...
sure wrong_turn
upload them on here :)

richz

wrong_turn said:

that wud be excellent :D

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
let me put it this way...do you still want me to upload them after how many school days = a lot more lear. i've got about 40 pages of lear now :|

but i will upload the assessment task that i still havent got back yet.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
wrong_turn said:
let me put it this way...do you still want me to upload them after how many school days = a lot more lear. i've got about 40 pages of lear now :|

but i will upload the assessment task that i still havent got back yet.
Yes please! Upload them at will wrong_turn!(though perhaps a Zip file would be kindest for those using dial up) Thank you for contributing!:)

And as an update for anyone who was wondering when I would finish the FAQ, I am sorry to say it is temporarily on hold as I have been utterly wiped out(due to ee2 and mx2), and have decided that it would be better to complete it in a large chunk when I have more time rather than bits since few people seem to notice or read the smaller updates. However I will still hang out in this forum and answer questions about this if I am able, and if anyone has anything they want added feel free to pm me.Ciao!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i forgot how to zip files up...

but some good sites are from the main advanced page that i compiled. its all good stuff :)

links to lear productions lear in full detail, with various readings. it also compares the main plot with the sub-plot
from these few i found a lot of info for lear that iw ould recommend to anyone else who is doing lear.

for those who are doing the tragedy reading i'll try to figure how to zip it up, cause i have a full analysis of king lear based on teh whole play as a whole that is made up of quotes.

i also had to analyse the last scene of nahum tate's aristotilean tragedy. so i ahve that as well. but this is also scanned as well.

the tragedy reading and the aristotilean readings are present in my assessment in my last post.

Last edited:

dragon eyes

HSC
:cool: thanks for all the info on King lear. i got my paper 2 trial on tuesday. it is my favourite text (i'm a shakespeare nerd) but the interpretations i saw were really terrible. i saw a feminist version that took out the fool. oh well :chainsaw:

serge

HSC
king_of_boredom said:
quick question:

before kent is put up in the stocks, kent duels oswald. who wins?
no one wins, they are interrupted by Cornwall and Regan

Owyn

HSC
Ive realised that those horribly wrong interpretations are quite useful, because if you think there that bad, you can usual quite very well why there wrong. Then all you have to do is work out what the've used from the text for their point of view, and youve shown 2 different points of view with lots of detail. :)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
rink said:
is there a chance they might ask us to refer to 3 productions?
there is a chance they can ask us to refer to anything
the trial didnt even ask about productions! It asked about characters :mad:

gabba_g

HSC
Possible questions?

ive written out a model response for Lear concerning it's contexts, interpretations and the play itself but im wondering how i should set out my response if the question asks to focus on just one character, or, how i would produce the play... in asking those questions are they still expecting us to talk about context?
A lot of students and teachers have said that they think the question for Lear will be more oriented around your interpretation of the play or a particular character... what do you think?

Last edited:
HSC
I hope that is right (the part about the question being asked about our interpretations)- otherwise, I'm.. well.. I won't do very well. It's unfair for them to ask about specific characters. And, not that I suppose that means they won't, don't the questions have to be the same for all critical texts- like so they can't specifically ask about, say, Regan? I don't know, I could be wrong

And can they actually ask us about readings? One of the practise questions at the beginning is specifically about a feminist reading... can they do that?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
gabba_g said:
ive written out a model response for Lear concerning it's contexts, interpretations and the play itself but im wondering how i should set out my response if the question asks to focus on just one character, or, how i would produce the play... in asking those questions are they still expecting us to talk about context?
A lot of students and teachers have said that they think the question for Lear will be more oriented around your interpretation of the play or a particular character... what do you think?
Personally I believe the question will be oriented towards the readings and interpretations, for example Is King Lear still relevant in a culture with such complex social aspects or whatever.
As far as how you would set out your response, well if you were to focus on just one character I would ensure that all the scenes/readings had something to say about the character either by their presence and what they did, or by their absence and what they were unable to do and why(in the critical sense). Otherwise it would be fairly similar. With your own production, its a more general question so you recieve some latitude and I would discuss readings, scenes and productions and how they affect and influence my interpretation and production of Lear.
I hope that is right (the part about the question being asked about our interpretations)- otherwise, I'm.. well.. I won't do very well. It's unfair for them to ask about specific characters. And, not that I suppose that means they won't, don't the questions have to be the same for all critical texts- like so they can't specifically ask about, say, Regan? I don't know, I could be wrong

And can they actually ask us about readings? One of the practise questions at the beginning is specifically about a feminist reading... can they do that?
Well they can ask specific questions for each elective in the module, so there is no guarantee you will get a generalised one for all the texts. Also, all Lear essays should mention readings but the question will not always ask for them, and may not be directly about them. And regarding the feminist question, they can ask something of that style but you don't have to agree with it - you can work from the side of nihilist and family for instance and argue against the validity of the feminist interpretation as compared to your own etc. I don't think they will ask something like that, *but* it is possible.
Has anyone answered the 2004 question ??
Haha:p Most of the people who did the King Lear question last year answered it - what exactly did you want to find out?

HsC SuKs!

HSC
hey every1 just wondering if any1 had any suggestions for a production that takes a feminist approach and if any1 had any useful links that would b grately appreciated!

im already doing the family psychological interpretation with sir richard eyres production along with sydney theatre company production 2001 just for good measure! :D

thanks and goodluck to all!

p.s. HSC SUKS!!!!!!!! and king lear deserves to die!!! die lear die!!!! * chants while pumping fist into the air *

statsguru

HSC
MAN i gotta hand to yah... u save my module......lol
thanks for the info. although it would be nice if someone answered my post on nahum tate...

once again thankyou very much

hkgirl

HSC
thanks so much for all the informations :)
they are ever so helpful!!

i know i may sound so stupid by asking this question,
but can someone please explain in simple what this whole module's about?
like i know it's critical study, and that you have to analyise your text in depth and detailed, but what kind of questions do they normally ask you?

what's you reading of the play?
do they ask you about techniques used by shakespeare to bring about the reading? or so forth?

please help, it's just so hard to study this module when i don't even understand the fundamental part of it (reading king lear is not a problem, but i just don't know what to do with it that's all)

will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)