• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Fastest Production Car 1/4 mile Viper is not king anymore (1 Viewer)

Bone577

HSC
N/A
aim54x said:
sub 10 is very rare for a production vehicle. n its true, a lot of non US cars miss out on mentions in the mags

It isn't a normal car though. It is more akin to Caterhams than normal cars. Weighs 500kg and has from memory 250 or so hp. The acceleration isn't as fast as say, a 962 but at 500kg I assume it stops very fast indeed. Just for interest they are making the new SR-8, which at 600kg and 360hp (so far) is going to be an absolute weapon.
http://www.radicalextremesportscars.com/news_folder/v8/rpa_v8/index.php

I would not be surprised if the 962 beats 10 seconds either.

Nguyen

The Porsche Carrera GT doesn't get a mention? Awwww Fast, Corners, and stops. Couldn't ask for anymore than that.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Well that article stressed the importance of acceleration over top speed - this has considerable merit. However handling is the real key.

If you have two cars going at the same corner at say 100 and one has to wipe off 20 to make it round then the one that didn't is clearly superior.

That said the US builds very few cars with any degree of cornering ability the Viper and GT's cornering styles are both dominated by rubber, or rather the style of corning is dictated by the large ammounts of rubber on the ground.

An exmaple is the corvette they actually design it to do good burn-outs and test this thoroughly yet over look corners its like burnouts>1/4>corners.

Its unfortunate that the CCR has such a horrendous rear end.

Awesome cars are:
Ferrari Enzo
Maseratie M12 (or whatvere their enzo derivative is)
Ford GT (40)
Porsche GT3 and 911 turbo
Lambo Gallardo
Nissan Skyline GTR v-spec ii
BMW M3 CSL

Bone577

HSC
N/A
addymac said:
Awesome cars are:
Ferrari Enzo
Maseratie M12 (or whatvere their enzo derivative is)
Ford GT (40)
Porsche GT3 and 911 turbo
Lambo Gallardo
Nissan Skyline GTR v-spec ii
BMW M3 CSL
I think the CSL should get special mention though. The car is utterly clever (carbon fibre roof is pure genius, lower weight and centre of G substantialy) and quick, especially for the price. The engines on all BMW's seem to have a distinct metallic sound aswell, in the CSL's case, when at full ball, it sounds like a bloody jet plane taking off. It's speed around a track is commendable too, out of all the cars Motor magazine has tested around Winton racetrack, the CSL was secong only to the Porsche GT2 which is far more expensive.

It hurts me a bit to say (being a Porsche fanatic) that the CSL outclasses everything near its price range bar track day racers (Caterhams, Radicals etc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)