• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Favourite and Least Favourite Prelim Subjects (2 Viewers)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
It's a matter of opinion which one is the hardest topic lol. I honestly loved the topic because it didn't involve much memorisation at all. Electricity looks a lot different. It's gonna be a tonne more theory.
Electricity is pretty fun imo, doesn't require that much memorisation either. Most of the stuff is very logical, so it's easy to remember.

bleakarcher

HSC
^ oh is it lol, that's cool then. That's why I love physics right now. No memorisation involved yet.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
^ oh is it lol, that's cool then. That's why I love physics right now. No memorisation involved yet.
It's good to memorise the formulae.

But, in the end, you do get the formulas on an extra sheet of paper in the test.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL, when in doubt, derive the formulae.
This. Especially comes in handy for the space HSC topic - half the formulas don't get given to you on the formula sheet. You have to memorise them or derive them.

bleakarcher

HSC
^ I was kidding, I mean no one is expected to be able to derive the formula for centripetal acceleration in uniform circular motion let alone do it in an exam lol. But yeh, in year 12, there are people who simply memorise formulas for say maximum height reached by a projectile when they can do it quite quickly simply using the basic kinematics formula i.e. v=u+at, S=ut+0.5at^2. Doing this you are at much less of a risk in losing marks.

Last edited:

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
^ I was kidding, I mean no one is expected to be able to derive the formula for centripetal acceleration in uniform circular motion let alone do it in an exam lol. But yeh, in year 12, there are people who simply memorise formulas for say maximum height reached by a projectile when they can do it quite quickly simply using the basic kinematics formula i.e. v=u+at, S=ut+0.5at^2. Doing this you are at much less of a risk in losing marks.
E.g. in one of the outcomes for space, you need to be able to derive Kepler's law of periods by equating centripetal force and gravitational attraction force to get the formula for orbital velocity then making v = circumference/period and solving it through. Not difficult but still need to know how to derive it.

Eg155

HSC
E.g. in one of the outcomes for space, you need to be able to derive Kepler's law of periods by equating centripetal force and gravitational attraction force to get the formula for orbital velocity then making v = circumference/period and solving it through. Not difficult but still need to know how to derive it.
you see, just seeing this 'thing' on physics drives my head in... you all do ext. maths, yes?

Last edited:

Aidejay

HSC
Favourite: Chem and Eco

Least: Adv Eng all the way and Physics.

And yes teachers do play part to it.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
you see, just seeing this 'thing' on physics drives my head in... you all do ext. maths, yes?
yes, but the maths in physics is a lot easier. as long as you can get your head around the concepts in physics, you should be fine. and if you get stuck, BOS is here to help :)

Deliriously

HSC
Maths = Physics = Engineering = Chemistry (to the lesser extent) > SOR1> ENG-ADV :mad:

Eg155

HSC
yes, but the maths in physics is a lot easier. as long as you can get your head around the concepts in physics, you should be fine. and if you get stuck, BOS is here to help :)
hahaha I dropped it lovely :p ... maths ext and physics are on the same sorta 'wavelength', excuse the pun :)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
hahaha I dropped it lovely :p ... maths ext and physics are on the same sorta 'wavelength', excuse the pun :)
its alright. just do the subjects you enjoy :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
+1

The actual mathematical skills required is at maximum, 2U level.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
+1

The actual mathematical skills required is at maximum, 2U level.
True. Doing 2U helps - like after doing exponentials and logs in 2U, it makes calculating pH in chem seem super easy.

Autonomatic

HSC
N/A
Favourite : Biology, Physics and Maths - great teachers and love the content!!!!
Don't Like : English (cause of content and teacher), Chemistry (like the content, but the teacher has "unique" teaching styles)
lol ... Like having him making ______ admit that he is inferior intellectually to you :sun:

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Math Ext 1 is so bad now have my original teacher back, chucks textbook at the wall 1st lesson cause I student called maths in focus easy =/

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Math Ext 1 is so bad now have my original teacher back, chucks textbook at the wall 1st lesson cause I student called maths in focus easy =/
Hahaha classic :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)