Favourite Harry Potter Book (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
moll. said:
Half-Blood Prince by a long shot.
yeah i'm starting to think that as well. fantastically crafted book. my favourite used to be GoF but those triwizard tournament bits really are a drag. Shame because the beggining and end are top notch.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
yeah i'm starting to think that as well. fantastically crafted book. my favourite used to be GoF but those triwizard tournament bits really are a drag. Shame because the beggining and end are top notch.
My main reasoning behind Half-Blood Prince is the story behind the potions book and the tension created in trying to find out who it was. Also, the changing relationships and the explanation of the horcruxes was good too.
But i found Deathly Hallows far too ridiculous and bizarre for my liking. It was almost like J.K had rushed through creating it, just so she could score a few more bucks and so they could make it into a movie.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
i find i never like to pass judgement on the deathly hallows until directly after reading it, since there's so much to actually get through in that book. i do tend to think she packed a little too much into that last one that could perhaps have been done a little earlier. I mean, most of the horcruxes were found within the last half of the last book, which is just lousy plotting imo. other than that though, the last book was pretty stellar. pretty nervous read which can never be a bad thing, and other than the horcrux issue i thought it was paced fairly well. i, unlike most others, didn't have much of a problem with the big gap of nothing in the middle. unlike OotP where the big gap served no purpose other than to have more harry potter goodness, the gap in DH served a purpose and it served it quite well. didn't drag either.

one last gripe, not related specifically to DH but rather the whole series, is how heavily skewed towards one end the series is. i would have preferred to see a longer reign on the part of voldemort, because as it is there's six books of relative peace and one book of nazi-esque death eater domination. if she really wanted to convey a sense of uselessness and destruction in total opposition to the first three books she should have made DH into two books to spread that out more. that way the mood of the series would have had a nice bell curve instead of the exponential curve it looks like now.

in other words, i see the series split. 3 books of peace. 3 books of middling. 1 book of terror. it really doesn't work well that way. should have been more like 3:2:3 or something.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
that way the mood of the series would have had a nice bell curve instead of the exponential curve it looks like now.
Lol.
In nine days time, i never want to hear you say such a thing again!

But yeah, i agree with you on most things. Deathly Hallows should have been two books, and spaced out heaps more. But you seem to think that the boring middle bit for Deathly Hallows was good. Beg to differ there.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
i'd do the devil if the devil were harry potter books. the pages of my collection are rather congealed.

HSC
Hmmm...favourite is probably OoTP. I know everybody else doesn't like it, but it has Umbridge, and Luna, and the cool fight at the Department of Mysteries, and Dementors come and attack Harry as Privett Drive, and Kreacher. PoA is next favourite

Least favourite book is probably HBP. Ending of that was amazing :( But it seemed strangely disjointed - a Frankenstein's monster of a book.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
my favourite would definitely have to be the half blood prince, it was the most intriguing out of all of them, cant wait for the movie :)

jeremychung

HSC
N/A
electrolysis said:
my favourite would definitely have to be the half blood prince, it was the most intriguing out of all of them, cant wait for the movie :)
What was so good about the half blood prince?

Almost didn't want to read deathly hallows because of it.

Anyway i liked all of them equally (except prince) :D

Hysterik

HSC
1. Goblet of Fire
2. Chamber of Secrets
3. Prisoner of Azkaban
4. Philosopher's Stone
5. Half Blood Prince
6. Deathly Hallows
7. Order of the Phoenix

Man, I love them all though. I hate putting anything at the bottom. :uhoh:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
jeremychung said:
What was so good about the half blood prince?

Almost didn't want to read deathly hallows because of it.

Anyway i liked all of them equally (except prince) :D
what wasn't good about the HBP exactly?

BamBam90

HSC
1.) Prisoner of Azkaban (3rd)
2.) Half-Blood Prince (6th)
3.) Philosopher's Stone (1st)
4.) Order of the Pheonix (5th)
5.) Deathly Hallows (7th)
6.) Goblet of Fire (4th)
7.) Chamber of Secrets (2nd)

HSC
1) Goblet of Fire
2) Deathly Hallows
3) Prisoner of Azkaban
4) Half-Blood Prince
5) Order of the Pheonix
6) Philosopher's Stone
7) Chamber of Secrets

Am I the only one who thought that J.K. Rowling progressed a LOT as a writer throughout the books?

A.Chair

HSC
genericusername said:
1) Goblet of Fire
2) Deathly Hallows
3) Prisoner of Azkaban
4) Half-Blood Prince
5) Order of the Pheonix
6) Philosopher's Stone
7) Chamber of Secrets

Am I the only one who thought that J.K. Rowling progressed a LOT as a writer throughout the books?
i agree, the first two were alright, but Prisoner of Azkaban was a level above them and it continued to all the other books...

1) Prisoner of Azkaban
2) Goblet of Fire
3) Deathly Hallows
4) Order of the Pheonix
5) Half Blood Prince
6) Philosopher's Stone
7) Chamber of Secrets

emmalinarina

yeh that's right. It's me
HSC
1. Goblet of Fire
2. Order of the Phoenix
3. Deathly Hallows
4. Philosopher's Stone
5. Half-Blood Prince
6. Prisoner of Azkaban
7. Chamber of Secrets

I love having grown up with Harry! He is awesome. But I have to say I love the new characters in Goblet of Fire - Cedric Diggory, Victor Krum, Fleur. And I love Luna and Ginny and Neville in Order of the Phoenix. Chamber of Secrets was boring. Full Stop.

HSC
1. Order of the Phoenix
- I found this the best because it was just so interesting. The DA, Umbridge, the rebellion, all of it. This book for me, showed an immense growth and maturity for Harry. A turning point.
2. Prisoner of Azkaban
- My favourite from the 'earlier' part of the series. So intriguing and tightly written.
3. Deathly Hallows
- Got a bit of time to get used to, but I marvell in its ability to seriously challenge the characters, isolating them from the ones that they loved best. However, as most people will agree, the epilogue was too cheesy.
4. Philosopher's Stone
- Was a great introduction to the story and I loved it. However, when compared to the extreme complexity of the series later down the track, it is only natural the first book would come off as kind of childish.
5. Goblet of Fire
- Good book, it gave me the shits when Voldy cam back. But felt bloated and word-filling, especially given its comparison with the first three.
6. Half Blood Prince
- While the plot seriously thickened in this book, I found the whole getting to know backstory thing too long and a bore. While obviously this is all explanation of crucial plot lines, it was boring boring boring. I only got to feed off the fluffy bits with Ginny which made me happy.
7. Chamber of Secrets
- I didn't hate it, but I sure as hell didn't like it either. I personally found the second book as the weakest and least appealing to read.

That being said, as a whole series I love it to bits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)