Fear Of Study...? (1 Viewer)

Nerd Bird

HSC
I am going to sound incredibly stupid and cowardly to the majority of you, but I *think* I have a fear of study.

Whenever I try to begin studying or homework (mostly English or Maths), I start hyperventilating, my heart rate rises, my head starts to ache, and I start to cry.

Is a "fear of study" real? If it is, how can I prevent it from affecting my study habits? And if not, is ANYONE else experiencing this?

It would comfort me a little knowing someone else is going through the same thing.

Emily Howard

HSC
go see a psychologist u mite even get special consideration n EAS or EDS fo uni entry

Nerd Bird

HSC
I already see one, and they don't really help much. I need a quick fix, i.e. a home remedy.

I'm already receiving SP for anxiety issues.

Thanks anyway. :)

Nerd Bird

HSC
I've kinda lost hope at this point, to be honest. :(

I've tracked the anxiety down to a fear of failing and disappointing everyone around me. You see, I've been labelled as "gifted" my entire life. When I get straight As, it's expected and everyone is indifferent, but, say, if another kid receives ONE A, they receive praise and rewards. If I drop below A, all I receive is disappointment.

Most kids sitting the HSC receive praise and encouragement. All I receive is indifference and disappointment.

(Sorry for rant. :) )

enoilgam

HSC
I am going to sound incredibly stupid and cowardly to the majority of you, but I *think* I have a fear of study.

Whenever I try to begin studying or homework (mostly English or Maths), I start hyperventilating, my heart rate rises, my head starts to ache, and I start to cry.

Is a "fear of study" real? If it is, how can I prevent it from affecting my study habits? And if not, is ANYONE else experiencing this?

It would comfort me a little knowing someone else is going through the same thing.
It is a more common phenomenon than you think. As you have said, it comes mostly from a fear of losing more than anything. Success can sometimes be like a drug addiction - when an addict first takes a drug, the high is amazing. However, as they continue on the high isnt as good and they need more to chase the same effect (addicts are always chasing the first high). Eventually, it gets to the point where the addict doesnt take the drug to get high, but to feel normal.

I'd imagine that with you, academic success no longer brings you happiness, but you need it because it is a part of who you are in a normal state. So really, you're at the point where academics can either make you feel normal or unhappy, which is why you it is making you feel this way.

This all sounds wishy washy but it effects a variety of high performance people (whether they be sportspeople, those in business or in your case academics). Maybe you should consider re-evaluating your priorities or working on your self-image (easier said than done, but a good therepist can help).

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
I think I was similar - I definitely had a fear of failing and disappointing everyone. But you have to take a step a back and remember that you have to be doing the HSC for yourself. In the end, it's your work you're putting in, your marks, your ATAR. No one else's. I know the pressure can get a bit overwhelming, but you have to remember that if you disappoint anyone, it will be short term. If you get to the end of the HSC and know that you've done your best, then that's all anybody can ask of you. If they're disappointed, then they need to get their priorities straight. I've learnt that by the time you get to the HSC, you're old enough to take responsibility for yourself, you are no longer a kid that has to please your parents or anything. The HSC is about independence.

Also, do you have an ATAR goal/degree you want to get into? If so, stick it on your wall or something, to help you remind yourself that you're striving for something you want. When I was going through, my parents didn't pressure me exactly, but getting good marks was just expected. About halfway through the HSC, I'd really had enough of it, so I stuck my goal ATAR and course on my wall and told myself that I was now working for myself and no one else. If I got a 'bad' mark (according to my parents), then it would still get to me, but not as much as before. Also I think it's a good idea to talk to your parents - tell them everything you've said about your anxiety - let them know you're working for yourself and no one else.

I think it's also a good idea to not tell your parents your marks when you first get them. I know that sounds weird but I told my parents I would do that because I wanted to teach them that my ATAR didn't define me and it was mine. I told them eventually, but it did teach them.

I hope this helped - if you have any other worries then don't hesitate to vent! Remember that everyone gets anxious. But I think once you start having a positive attitude and a mindset that you're working for yourself and you alone, then I think you'll have a different motivation - not an anxious one, but a drive to achieve what you want.

Shazza116

HSC
just relax, breathe and take your time, pace yourself..

a little study is better than no study at all,

and show your parents that rant that you wrote before

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I know someone who used to throw up before studying sometimes so your not alone in your fear of study

Nerd Bird

HSC
The most I can do is about fifteen minutes before getting nervous.

Thanks enoilgam, timeslowsdown and Shazza116. I've explained these concerns to my parents before, and they sort of understand. Sort of.

Success was a massive high for both my parents and I. I don't really receive that high any more.

Any strategies on how to make study a little more interesting, perhaps?

But really, thanks everyone. *hug* :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
More common than you think with naturally intelligent people who have had lots of academic success. Expectations are high so you are either content or unhappy opposed to any high or rush with any results.

I think sometimes it stems more from the fear of if you put lots on study and then fail, there's no fall back/no safety net that you could have tried harder. I think sometimes the hardest thing in life is putting your best effort in and falling short, so sometimes we balk at the thought of doing that.

Try strategies like making your study more fun and less intimidating. Like have incentive to tick things of a to do list with a reward, start of with a small achievable task to get the ball rolling, make posters/flashcards etc. Have mechanisms to power through stress/anxiety. If anxiety is overwhelming, you should seek help on it if it's not self-manageable. And for most anxiety is something that is a natural response to get adrenaline going and can be channeled in a productive way.

Oh anxiety is also lessened with good diet and exercise-one of my friend's is an anxiety sufferer and her doctor always recommended morning exercise to get endorphins for the day ahead along with other coping mechanisms/medications. If you look after yourself, it reduces stress in any instance.

macrazy

HSC
Would you be able to handle a number of 15 minute blocks a day? This time could realy add up eventually :) Also, try to convince yourself that you are studying for enjoyment and personal growth - just try to forget about school, exams and expectations (I know this is probably really hard for you to do). Just remember that you dont have to please everyone, you dont have to meet everyone's expectations to be successful. Try to use the pressure to get good results: instead of thinking you HAVE to get straight A's because thats expected, try to think that this expectation came from somewhere - the fact that you are more than capable of achieving it. Remember that a bad grade on a test isnt the end of the world, its an opportunity to learn from your mistakes and improve :) Maybe try talking to your teachers about it too, especially if you trust them, as a lot of pressure can come from them when they try to push you to your best, bust they have probably seen situations like this before and know how to help. Good luck :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you don't mind studying with others maybe make a board game with question cards based on the syllabus. And if you get one right you can move forwards?

Nerd Bird

HSC
Wow, I'm surprised that a. I'm not alone and b. people care. Thanks LoveHateSchool, BLIT2014 and macrazy! :)

I'm using short bursts of study, incentives (i.e. warm rooms, being away from distractions, hot chocolate) and I find that making the area pleasurable makes it a slightly less anxious environment.

Good luck to you guys too! :)

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Also you could try changing where you study - maybe try going to a library, or studying with friends? Sometimes the latter can be counter-productive for stress if the person will distract you. But, for example, my last exam was chemistry and I had a week to study for it. I was really unmotivated so studied with a friend I knew wouldn't make me more stressed (i.e highlight the areas I hadn't studied) and wouldn't get too distracted. It ended up being really productive - we would basically study the whole day; having breaks together was heaps fun. We also quizzed each other. So I know it's hard to, but if you can try to meet up with a friend to study, or ask a friend to go with a walk with you.

HSC
same happens to me, except to a lesser extent. In year 10, i would specifically skip hard questions so i wouldn't feel terrible that i couldn't solve them. If you are having trouble understanding something, it always helps to do your homework/study with someone who is experienced or can help you solve a problem if you don't know the answer. Get a private tutor?? maybe.

Lina3

HSC
I am going through the same thing, but with only one subject. Enoligam, I believe is most accurate in describing what this is. In my case, I have topped Music every year since year 7, and not by a little, most of the time it was quite a considerable amount of marks. At first it felt great but by year 10-11 it was less "yayy I am so proud of myself" and more "Phew, thank god. How embarrassing would it be if I didn't come first?"
For you it must be somewhat more intense as it happens with a number of subjects. But try herbal tea and breathing exercises. Remember that the anxiety you have, while you may have identified a reason, its not a NECESSARY feeling. You have done well before and there is no reason you cannot do so again.

Currybear

HSC
Out of curiosity, did you have some sort of childhood trauma

I ask this because i used to have similar problems which were caused by something in, which i cant remember happening in primary school

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)