Feature article on crime fiction (1 Viewer)

Scorch

HSC
I have to write a feature article on crime fiction, I've got pretty much all my content sorted, I'm just wondering. Can someone tell me some specific things common to feature articles, language styles, etc? (Personal language? Formal?) It would be a great help.

Thanks.

blind_cat

HSC
i had to do the same: exploring the populairty of HB in relation to The Big Sleep and a suppl. in feature article form.
Initially i had the problem of writing my article too much like an essay. Starting off with a quote from the novel/film esp film or making it appear as a form of narrative if good. You got the audiences attention. FA (feature article) form involve almost a dicussion type form of writing, you want to evoke a sense of interest but not sound too informal but also convey the message with a certain level of sophistication. say for e.g. i was writing about TBS

....the perfect combination of drugs, women and guns have audiences excited. And why shouldn't they be? Iconic of the HB genre, we have the almost escapist world where the sleuth is the lone hero against the corruption that permeates the world. But is hard boiled CF necessarily escapist? Many would not think so, as the hard boiled genre exposes the realities of life, something that many know is a very ugly thing. The use of the film noir genre with the iconic symbolism of scenes swalloed in shadow suggest a world where evil reigns. You got Geiger's charming little bookshop, a facade for black market dealings, Sternwood's ostentascious mansion shrouding the corruption of the rich. It is safe to say, the world is always ugly.

But one thing not ugly is the seductive appearance of the femme fatale, Vivien Rutlegde played by the rising star Laura Bacall. Her sleek slender body is a hot item and she's got a sharp wit to match. etc etc.

If you're still not sure, add a by-line. Make sure your opinion is expresses through rhetorical questions, slight use of comedy and even stereotyping. With titles avoid: Why is CF so popular? or Why is CF so adaptable to audiences. Instead, answer the question with a title like, guns and women- the perfect combination or what lies beneath...something like that. That way you avoid it being an essay and intsigate the interest of the responder.
Good Luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)