Feedback Mechanism Question (1 Viewer)

lolrofllol

HSC
I wrote all of them. Nervous system, hypothalamus, thermoreceptors, etc. I wasn't sure whether they're meant to read them all and mark the correct ones or only read the first two...

It was 1 mark anyway right?

greatgreeks2

HSC
for the feedback diagram i only put the heating and not the cooling because it asked for the mechanism in the information and it didnt state in the iinformation that the people cool down it just said heat up.

Am i right?

annikab

HSC
for the feedback diagram i only put the heating and not the cooling because it asked for the mechanism in the information and it didnt state in the iinformation that the people cool down it just said heat up.

Am i right?
But the stimulus text specifically said as temperature returned back to 20C or whatever it was, i.e. cools, heart rate decreased and sweating stopped. I assumed that the question begged both parts of the negative feedback mechanism.

greatgreeks2

HSC
oh dam

band 5 for me

also for the 8 mark question i didnt acualy finish it as i left it till last of the exam and didnt have time.

what do u think i can get /8

i gave examples of hydranger flower colour being affeted by soil ph
pea plant growth being affected by soil nutriends
and radiation changing geneexpression with the example of beadle and tatum</SPAN>

Triquetral

HSC
Yeah hate to burst your bubbles but it asked for a Bodily System not Structures or Body Parts

I simply wrote Nervous System. 1 mark. All that's needed. But don't worry I contemplated for a while if to write Homeostatis or Hypothalamus but then thought nah that's a process and that's a structure...neither of two being 'systems'.

annikab

HSC

Am i right?
oh dam

band 5 for me

also for the 8 mark question i didnt acualy finish it as i left it till last of the exam and didnt have time.

what do u think i can get /8

i gave examples of hydranger flower colour being affeted by soil ph
pea plant growth being affected by soil nutriends
and radiation changing geneexpression with the example of beadle and tatum</SPAN>
Um, not sure. Depends how in depth you went in to them all. I only did three as well (tyranase in siamese cats, BB/Bb/bb brown/blue eyes and roan cattle), but i wrote a whole page in midget writing.

greatgreeks2

HSC
se i only gave one line identifying the change e.g hydrangers colour of their flowers depends on soil ph and height of pea plants depends on soil nutrition.

then i just went on saying that factors affect gene expression by turning on and off genes which is also seen in beadle and tatum experiment with bread mould.

i would say thats probably 4 marks.
2= for identifying examples

1= saying how change in expression occurs
1 =what changes expression e.g radiation

Last edited:

HSC
THE ANSWER IS:

THE THERMOREGULATORY SYSTEM.

I asked my teacher. That's what I put.

HSC
Homeostasis is wrong. Hypothalamus is wrong. According to my bio teacher who is a marker....The nerve system is wrong.

Thermoregulatory aka Thermo-regulatory system is the correct answer.

greatgreeks2

HSC
my bio teacher is a marker also and she said that it was nervouse system.

she also said that for the mc about CO2 and O2 that the ans was b

HSC
Um, not sure. Depends how in depth you went in to them all. I only did three as well (tyranase in siamese cats, BB/Bb/bb brown/blue eyes and roan cattle), but i wrote a whole page in midget writing.
You basically also had to talk about how variation can lead to a recombination of genes aka a different combination of alleles = different genotype = different phenotype, thus "unexpected results".

I spoke about: Mutations, Sexual reproduction - basically the genetic info from two different organisms is combined, the variation which arises from crossing over, the random segregation of chromosomes and the random assortment of chromosomes. All these process resulted in the increased chance that a child would have a different phenotype to its parents.

I then spoke about, dominant and recessive alleles and how both parents could be heterozygous and thus the child could be homozygous recessive (Mendel's 3 : 1 ratio). And of course you could go into other things like Co-Dominance etc.

The environment, I simply brought up the example of the Mung bean experiement we did in class where the mung beans not exposed to sunlight where unable to produce enough sugars through photosynthesis and thus could not grow to potential. Thus, their phenotype was different due to environmental factors. I then spoke about under nourishment and how a child for example might not be able to grow to his full potential if undernourished e.g underfed.

HSC
my bio teacher is a marker also and she said that it was nervouse system.

she also said that for the mc about CO2 and O2 that the ans was b
Yer she is a complete retard. It was A. Oxygen does not bind "strongly" to haemoglobin. She is wrong. She should not be a science teacher.

greatgreeks2

HSC
You basically also had to talk about how variation can lead to a recombination of genes aka a different combination of alleles = different genotype = different phenotype, thus "unexpected results".

I spoke about: Mutations, Sexual reproduction - basically the genetic info from two different organisms is combined, the variation which arises from crossing over, the random segregation of chromosomes and the random assortment of chromosomes. All these process resulted in the increased chance that a child would have a different phenotype to its parents.

I then spoke about, dominant and recessive alleles and how both parents could be heterozygous and thus the child could be homozygous recessive (Mendel's 3 : 1 ratio). And of course you could go into other things like Co-Dominance etc.

The environment, I simply brought up the example of the Mung bean experiement we did in class where the mung beans not exposed to sunlight where unable to produce enough sugars through photosynthesis and thus could not grow to potential. Thus, their phenotype was different due to environmental factors. I then spoke about under nourishment and how a child for example might not be able to grow to his full potential if undernourished e.g underfed.

i think when the question says "how does genetics and the environment"
you have to write environment changes genes that changes phenotype. nothing to do with crossing over.

HSC
hahah you have to write about both...genetics and environment. Both play key factors. Crossing over results in a different combination of alleles to parents thus "unexpected" phenotypes to parents...

It def isnt wrong, but yer I get your point, you can write other stuff an still easily get the 8 marks

greatgreeks2

HSC
yeah. the question can be interepreted in defferent ways.

also u know the negative feedback mechanism how many marks was it wirth

greatgreeks2

HSC
oh ok could i get the 3 marks by just showing the mechanism for incresing temp or did i also HAVE to do decrease in temp

Triquetral

HSC
THE ANSWER IS:

THE THERMOREGULATORY SYSTEM.

I asked my teacher. That's what I put.
Specifically. You are correct. But by what we actually learn't in the syllabus? Thermoregulatory System isn't really something EVERYONE learns if you catch my drift, it isn't directly apart of the syllabus to learn. However I reckon u'd obviously get the mark for it still...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)