feel cheated and jaded-a warning to all UWS students (1 Viewer)

Gurlpower

HSC
gday

recently i just completed my uws degree at uws parra.

three years of hard work, easy times and all the shebang im sure many of you will know.

anyway, finishing my degree started making me feel an initial sense of delight, as im sure many of you will feel when your finished.

however, i was then confronted with thereality of the situation, WHERE TO FROM HERE?

i realised in my marketing degree they never really explain what sort of jobs exist in the real world. business degrees are just a a series of fragmented information from many different branches of business (accounting, communications etc)

nothing really explains what kind of job exists out there.

next thing i do i go to seek.com, everything requires real world experience (which makes me realise i could have earned a good job just by working my way up from an entry level shit job) or is a commission based crappy sales job, which is the occuptaional equivalent to hell.

what waste of time my degree looks at this point. no jobs and not sure where to start.

i decide that if anyone knows where to go from here, its the course co ordinator. after finally contacting him, i get this response from my seeking advice on what to do and what jobs are out there

course co ordinator "haha im not even going to attempt to go there, dont ask me" and that was that.

its as if they couldnt care less. they took my money, finished the course and then 'fuck off"

so when you think this degree is great, consider what just happened to me. some of you guys will have copnnectioons in the industry, if so, all the luck to you. if not, God help you.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
It's probably your Marketing major thats caused the problem that is universally inherent as opposed to an issue only involving UWS students.

There's number of Marketing graduate jobs out there:

Grad Marketing Analyst
"A Business or Marketing degree with an emphasis on business statistics" as opposed to those without a degree climbing the ranks from an unskilled entry level position.

Marketing Assistant

Again it requires a degree

Jnr Product Manager
"No previous Product Management experience is necessary although a Marketing / Business Degree is"

Grad Sales and Marketing Exec
"The right candidate will have recently completed a university degree,"

Marketing Graduate
"You will be able to apply the knowledge and organisational skills you have gained in your degree and to display your initiative, drive and creative skills."

Marketing Graduate
"Viper Marketing is currently seeking those with a diploma/degree or experience in Marketing and Promotions to join a fun, energetic team!"

I found those in 5 minutes...were you looking at the graduate section or general? Is there a Marketing book in the careers FAQ series with specific recruitment firms that only deal with marketing graduates/positions?

Best of luck

L

LaraB

Did you ever use the careers services at uni? Or go the business careers expo? Because that expo had heaps of info geared towards marketing students.

Because its not up to the people running your degree to deal with these kinds of things - its great when they do but ultimately in a non practical degree (i.e. one not geared towards specific occupations like law or med or policing) their job is purely to teach. That's why the careers and other services exist....

There is plenty of info available if you seek it out so its very misleading to word your post as you have, particularly as this isn't a problem associated with this uni or your degree specifically.

Its a problem generally experienced b y people. Its pretty shit and i sympathise with you but it's up to you during your degree to actively seek out this information. Shit i know, but its the same in many places and in many degrees.

Go speak to the careers people in person and get some advice.

Or if you don't want to do that, go onto websites of copmanies and firms and unis and have a look at the kinds of jobs they say are offered in marketing. Essentially that's all the careers services and stuff do - collect info from all these places and then put it in a succinct package for you.

Also - go and pick up one of the graduate job info books - they're free for graduates. Its basically the working world's equivalent of teh UAC book for school students.

Demandred

HSC
I think everybody should of be thinking about these things during your last years at uni, not after graduation. A lot of the people I know, including some from these forums, has applied and got accepted into cadetships and internships during their final years at uni. For everyone reading this, please don't be complacent and leave everything till your graduation.

Last edited:
L

LaraB

Demandred said:
I think everybody should of be thinking about these things during your last years at uni, not after graduation. A lot of the people I know, including some from these forums, has applied and got accepted into cadetships and internships during their final years at uni. For everyone reading this, please don't be complacent and leave everything till your graduation.
Exactly - there is a reason why employers offer pentultimate year or "pre graduation"
placements

There is no point in starting to look once you're finished because you will have missed a lot of the placements. In addition you will look uninformed and ill-prepared to prospective emploeyrs if you are scrambling around at the last minute trying to take whatever you can get...

Gurlpower

HSC
Demandred said:
ok first of all,
lets be realistic here. if i am at uws 3/4 days a week during the semester how the french is anyone supposed to drop that and take on one of these cadetships? alot of units in the degre require extensive semester long group work, and times cannot be shifted to accommodate you.

secondly, suppose you did make some arrangement, how are people meant to know that these pre graduation cadetships are a good idea? no one sits down and offers pamphlets about this shit. those career days i imagina are useful but i have to work when im not at uni and they arent easy to get too.

i should mention two things that makes my life harder for me personally. i dont have a mathematical brain, i struggled considerably in the stats/accounting part of the course so these analyst jobs are of no use to me (and even if i was mathematical i cant remember the content from 3 years ago)

and i also do not like blind sales commission jobs. ive tried it, its hell, and there is a reason why the only people they can attract to those jobs are clueless badly dressed indian people who are duped into the job not knowing whats in it for them.

4eyesnb

HSC
N/A
I think this is normal for all graduates to feel like that, not just UWS or its Marketing Major. Infact most people doing Economic & Commerce, Arts, Social Science, don't even end up in the job that exactly fit into their major:rofl: .

Demandred

HSC
Gurlpower said:
ok first of all,
lets be realistic here. if i am at uws 3/4 days a week during the semester how the french is anyone supposed to drop that and take on one of these cadetships? alot of units in the degre require extensive semester long group work, and times cannot be shifted to accommodate you.

secondly, suppose you did make some arrangement, how are people meant to know that these pre graduation cadetships are a good idea? no one sits down and offers pamphlets about this shit. those career days i imagina are useful but i have to work when im not at uni and they arent easy to get too.

i should mention two things that makes my life harder for me personally. i dont have a mathematical brain, i struggled considerably in the stats/accounting part of the course so these analyst jobs are of no use to me (and even if i was mathematical i cant remember the content from 3 years ago)

and i also do not like blind sales commission jobs. ive tried it, its hell, and there is a reason why the only people they can attract to those jobs are clueless badly dressed indian people who are duped into the job not knowing whats in it for them.
Cadetships are conducted during the summer break, it goes on about 4-8 weeks. Internships sometimes makes you delay a semester, or perhaps a whole year, I heard the pay is pretty decent as well. I think its worth holding up your degree for a year or a semester to get some hands-on work. From what i read, you don't do undergo these programs at the same time as your actual study, I heard for some you can, i don't know. But then again, there's plenty of people i know who actually juggle uni and law jobs at the same time.

I sympathize with you, I know just how hard trying to get $$, but I guess the extra mile must be taken to secure the future. As for the information, try contacting them by phone, or surf around the internet, there's plenty of information there.

tubtub

HSC
Gurlpower said:
gday

recently i just completed my uws degree at uws parra.

three years of hard work, easy times and all the shebang im sure many of you will know.

anyway, finishing my degree started making me feel an initial sense of delight, as im sure many of you will feel when your finished.

however, i was then confronted with thereality of the situation, WHERE TO FROM HERE?

i realised in my marketing degree they never really explain what sort of jobs exist in the real world. business degrees are just a a series of fragmented information from many different branches of business (accounting, communications etc)

nothing really explains what kind of job exists out there.

next thing i do i go to seek.com, everything requires real world experience (which makes me realise i could have earned a good job just by working my way up from an entry level shit job) or is a commission based crappy sales job, which is the occuptaional equivalent to hell.

what waste of time my degree looks at this point. no jobs and not sure where to start.

i decide that if anyone knows where to go from here, its the course co ordinator. after finally contacting him, i get this response from my seeking advice on what to do and what jobs are out there

course co ordinator "haha im not even going to attempt to go there, dont ask me" and that was that.

its as if they couldnt care less. they took my money, finished the course and then 'fuck off"

so when you think this degree is great, consider what just happened to me. some of you guys will have copnnectioons in the industry, if so, all the luck to you. if not, God help you.

yeah i know how you feel but thats life i guess. working full time just to earn a crust is never going to be a walk in the park. all employers these days want the best-education, experience, looking/smelling nice. but yeah, people i know who did business degrees or something similar all struggled to get a good job after graduating.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Gurl power, ppl like u piss me off? u chose a course that u know shit about. Ur telling me that only after your degree you realised the job prospects. Thats seriously pathetic. When i chose my degree, i did the most extensive research possible to know everything about the degree, job prospects, salaries. etc etc

my own mate pissed me off 2. his doing psychology and in his 3rd year he fianlly realised he has to do an extra 2 years(masters) to become registered psychologist in NSW, so he changed courses.

so you just completed a $30 000 course and u never knew about the job prospects. I aint saying the degree is shit at all. just the fact u did little or abosutley no research.

cya

Gurlpower

HSC
wrxsti said:
Gurl power, ppl like u piss me off? u chose a course that u know shit about. Ur telling me that only after your degree you realised the job prospects. Thats seriously pathetic. When i chose my degree, i did the most extensive research possible to know everything about the degree, job prospects, salaries. etc etc

my own mate pissed me off 2. his doing psychology and in his 3rd year he fianlly realised he has to do an extra 2 years(masters) to become registered psychologist in NSW, so he changed courses.

so you just completed a $30 000 course and u never knew about the job prospects. I aint saying the degree is shit at all. just the fact u did little or abosutley no research.

cya

but if i knew everything there was to know about mrketing i wouldnt have felt the need to study and learn about it would i?

woulda saved me 6 grand, (only spent 6g because i mixed it with tafe).

Gurlpower

HSC
4eyesnb said:
I think this is normal for all graduates to feel like that, not just UWS or its Marketing Major. Infact most people doing Economic & Commerce, Arts, Social Science, don't even end up in the job that exactly fit into their major:rofl: .
]

perhaps its a common university thing, but the reason why i specify and target uws is th absolute brush off i got from the course co ordinator.

there was no 'if you talk to the careers peopke they can help you out" or "rest assured their are jobs out there"

what i got was a literal laugh in the face telling me to leave him alone.

i thought that was very poor form from an otherwise decent guy.

ChiK

HSC
N/A
Gurl Power,

u r not the only one, I am also studying marketing and I too find it difficult to find a marketing related job seeing that most of them require work experience.

however, you shouldn't restrict yourself to marketing type jobs, you could probably use your marketing degree to enter other fields as well.

Or perhaps search for an entry level job to get some work experience and work your way up from there.

by the way, i also agree that some supposedly marketing jobs are in fact sales work. I hate that too! But then again, i guess that must be the reality of the commercial world...

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Why didn't you do work experience throughout your degree? The uni offers programs and insurance for work experience, its all over the careers website :rolleyes: Takes 2 seconds of your time to find.

And before you whinge about not having enough time, I had to do 400 hours of work placement for my degree, and I managed to complete it all during third year, and gained plenty of experience too. More than what a 3 yr degree would give me.

Having just completed my degree, I've had plenty of job offers. And if I remember correctly, Natstar (a former poster here); just completed a marketing degree and she got into a graduate program.

Gurlpower

HSC
Cape said:
Why didn't you do work experience throughout your degree? The uni offers programs and insurance for work experience, its all over the careers website :rolleyes: Takes 2 seconds of your time to find.

And before you whinge about not having enough time, I had to do 400 hours of work placement for my degree, and I managed to complete it all during third year, and gained plenty of experience too. More than what a 3 yr degree would give me.

Having just completed my degree, I've had plenty of job offers. And if I remember correctly, Natstar (a former poster here); just completed a marketing degree and she got into a graduate program.

because its a different kettle of fish.

my degree required me on certaindays of the week which made it impossible to do placement work.

i plan on doing some placement work this next 6 months, being fresh off the uni boat (pending results)

i used to keep one eye on the placements board, there was 1 HR job i really was interested in. but my confidence in my abilities didnt feel developed at the time (alas i still dont) and when you coupl this with the timing issue its near impossible.

even if i vigourously went for these placement stuff theres no guarantee id get the job. numbers show me at a disadvantage. me personally i would get the job because im charismatic and good with interviews, but how does that help poor little shy mai ling who sits next to me in strateguic? it doesnt.

either way NEVER once did they say, let alone emphasise the importance of these job placements. i feel there should have been an element of emphasis on this kind of thing as only now, after the degree will me and my fellow peers start to realise the importance of this initiative in the degree.

this is where UWS failed.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Odd response .. but who knows. It's up to you what to do with your degree .. you did have 3 years to figure it out.

ctkid

HSC
Gurlpower said:
because its a different kettle of fish.

my degree required me on certaindays of the week which made it impossible to do placement work.

i plan on doing some placement work this next 6 months, being fresh off the uni boat (pending results)

i used to keep one eye on the placements board, there was 1 HR job i really was interested in. but my confidence in my abilities didnt feel developed at the time (alas i still dont) and when you coupl this with the timing issue its near impossible.

even if i vigourously went for these placement stuff theres no guarantee id get the job. numbers show me at a disadvantage. me personally i would get the job because im charismatic and good with interviews, but how does that help poor little shy mai ling who sits next to me in strateguic? it doesnt.

either way NEVER once did they say, let alone emphasise the importance of these job placements. i feel there should have been an element of emphasis on this kind of thing as only now, after the degree will me and my fellow peers start to realise the importance of this initiative in the degree.

this is where UWS failed.
blaming the uni for your complacency...thats quite poor...everyone know the more you participate in extra curriculars and relevant work exp the better chance you will have of gettin a job...theres thousands of gradutaes from UWS a year who manage to land jobs doing your degree...mayb you need to take a good look at urself first...
sorry if it hurts but thats just my 2 cents...
dont blame the system

vojnik

HSC
You only get out what you put in.

And no, I dont work for Nutrigrain..I work for the " How life works" company.

Jiga

Yeah ummm also its not UWS's job to research your job prospects from a degree, they offer it, you should do some research before hand. My brother had a similar problem you have (threadstarter) in regards to all jobs wanting experience, he did Human Resource Management at Tafe and all jobs wanted experience. My advice would be to look at say Accounts jobs or something similar which relates in some way to marketing, get your foot into the door and then maybe a job at the company your at will become available or you will find another marketing position and the experience helps you get the job.

And as for any talk that UWS means you will struggle to find a job, I know from the accounting point of view, it doesnt have any effect. Although there are always heaps of accounting poisitions, employers dont place a huge emphasis on your degree, they obviously want reasonable results, but they place a large emphasis on your personality etc in the interview. I know everyone that has been searching for graduate positions BEFORE graduating has got a job already lined up, some people in top accounting firms. I better start looking soon to... but its good times for Accountants! Sweet justice to, people paying more at "better" uni's getting the same jobs that UWS people who pay less get!

7th Sign

HSC
hey I do degree in business marketing at para atm...

I find it pretty weird that you have never done work experience in the field,

you deffiantly need some experience in the field if you want to get a job, or look for a place hiring fresh ppl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)