female engineers (1 Viewer)

shell.q

HSC
Any girls studying engineering as prelim just about to go into hsc course plz tell me =] i would love to chat to you guys
Im over a boys class lol...only girl so sad....girls need more encouraging to do this subject =]

cheers all

Boxes

Banned
HSC
never thought i'd see those two words in the same sentence. weird.

miche11e

HSC
i wish they had this subject at my school cos ive known for ages that i wanted to do engineering...

only problem is, i dont think anyone else woulda done it with me...

we had someone come to our school for a careers thing, and when they asked who wants to do engineering, i was the only one who put up their hand, but straight afterwards, when we could go up and ask them questions, about 20 girls went up to ask her questions cos most of them wanted to do engineering, but they wernt sure lol.

im definatley going to end up in engineering so, good luck to you and if you need any moral support - lol just kidding :D

have a good un

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
Musk said:
not everyone goes to uts, boy. you had to do the 'fail mod' bit, didn't you?

most girls, while trying not to generalise, find harder maths too challenging. there is this general impression in the society that engineering are more suited to males, just like teaching and nursing are for females. but some of our lecturers are female and they are no worse than their male colleagues. so there.

mcs-one

Grease Bucket
HSC
lol shud continue doing it. just think about the male:female ratio. almost 5:1

!!C0opskies!!

Gangsta
HSC
Rofl in my class there are 5 guys, thats it. in a way its ok coz even the teacher joins in when we talk bout girls but yes, its definately lacking women in the field.
HSC in 2 weeks :( not looking forward to it

Karina92

HSC
Any girls studying engineering as prelim just about to go into hsc course plz tell me =] i would love to chat to you guys
Im over a boys class lol...only girl so sad....girls need more encouraging to do this subject =]

cheers all

heya,
i was thinking of creating my own thread on this but then i found urs :)
yeah, i'm the only girl in my engineering class...there's about 15 guys. n at the start of the year my teacher used to bag me out so much but it was funny. the guys can be a lot of fun but sometimes i just want to tune out or wish they'd mature or actually notice there is a girl in the room. neway, r u doing HSC 09?

n omg, isn't this ment to be a thread for girls...
lol at some of the guys comments

wow!

HSC
N/A
When I was in my engineering phase a coupla yrs ago, my rents were quick to put me off it.
I suppose the reasons would be:
- boys are physically stronger therefore will be able to lift and build things better I suppose.
- boys, generally speaking, aren't afraid of getting dirty and all, so, say, going down into a mine. Girls, generally speaking, tend to be more "ew, spider!"

wow!

HSC
N/A
You would also need to be outstanding in your eng studies as employers would tend to pick teh males, as it is male dominated and sexism might be an issue.

Karina92

HSC
you shouldn't be put off because boys are stronger...we're engineering things not being labourers.
and getting dirty n all doesnt matter to all girls (my bro is so scared of spiders, lol), but also, not all engineering is on site, there's alot of office work as well.

and there's actually more oppportunity for females in the engineering field because we're smater :) mostly, and are underrepresented. emplyees are actively looking for female engineers and the whole equal opportunity actually gives us more. if an employer has to choose between a male or female, they choose a female because other wise they are being sexist to males, ironic isn't it.

shell.q

HSC
bluescope take on idk something like 20 cadet ships a year, this year tht want the majoirty to be girls as the is a lack of girls in the area, the selector is specifically been told to look for girls out of everyone.
i would say yes it is a male dominant feild but the doors of opportunities are so much more for females then malles

charlen

HSC
bluescope take on idk something like 20 cadet ships a year, this year tht want the majoirty to be girls as the is a lack of girls in the area, the selector is specifically been told to look for girls out of everyone.
i would say yes it is a male dominant feild but the doors of opportunities are so much more for females then malles
I went to the interview yesterday and there was still a 3:1 of boys to girls

BTW they are offering 30 placements

theundefined

HSC
lol i go to a boy school ahah so my engineering class is no gurls LOL. Although i do encourage more girls to do it, cus its preety much the best subject and job in the world, like compared to any other job, the world will always need engineers. like okay theres doctors, lawyers etc. BUT who makes those buildings for them to work in HUH! Almost every innovation and stucture comes from engineers, and its the ultimate job, and it shouldn't be restricted to boys in the perspective. More girls should do it, yeh the maths is kinda hard and sometimes you're required to put some effort in, but theres a huge range of engineering and its not always grease and mechanical stuff, theres stuff like telecommunications, electronics, mechatronics (robots), bio-engineering (for ppl who are interested in medical stuff). What i dislike, is those kinds of girls who do harder maths and the only typical thing they aim for is be a doctor or an accountant and imo. thers too many of them, like seriously lol. I'm asian rofl, and the girls i know that do 4unit maths and all sciences, stuff like that, either don't know what to do in uni ( or claim to do something with economics), or want to be doctors and lawyers. and personally i hate those kinds of girls cus they are the epitome of typical asians and if you live in sydney, they all end up working in cabramatta ( a place were the majority of asians live LOL). Engineering should be promoted more, its still relatively new in terms of popularity and interests, but since society is going to keep growing we will always need engineers. And the more ppl the better! especially girls, we need a better variety. Not long ago, the same conversation was to do with doctors and now there are plenty of female doctors ;). and plus im sure it gets a little boring talking to other male engineers all the time if you end up in the field. oh btw. im doing my hsc 2009 if anyone is interested. hah lol im going against the grain as well, because im currently applying to do engineering at the australian defence force academy ;) and i hope more girls get interested in going there cus thers a need for that aswel.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
you really need to use some paragraphs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)