Feminism and Political Correctness (1 Viewer)

Tiffanys

Executed member
HSC
It's a FREEDOM THING. If a female felt like not having to shave their armpits they do so at the risk of not being esteemed in the eyes of people who have a certain taste for a certain kind of beauty. They are still able to do so with minimal risk of being chastised for it but it is their choice which affects their physical appeal to the majority of the population (albeit one swayed largely by the media)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
The core question, then, is this: Why not promote an attitude which is accepting of deviations from the norm? (i.e. such as would permit women to be hairy and men to wear dresses)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
bassistx said:
And to the men, there's something I'd like you to answer:
Do you respect women who are "men" (description above) more than those who accept nature and live comfortably
I don't respect women who are pushovers with no goals or self-determination. That is: I have more respect for a girl who goes and gets her own job or even goes to uni than for somebody who actively plans to be a stay-at-home mum. Now I know motherhood is a full-time job (and I think it's sad if a girl doesn't want to be a mum), but actively planning that to be your entire life from the start? Meh.

Yeah I guess I like tomboys (girls who aren't prissy and are willing to drink beer with you and climb that tree because it looks fun).

Tomboys does not mean girls who try to dress and look like men (jeans are perfectly acceptable, really short or spiked hair isn't). That's just weird.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
bassistx said:
Those freaks think that for men and women to be equal they should do the opposite of what the majority of women do.

This is my rant - I'm talking about women who explicity say it, yes, I am, Sarah. But you wouldn't come across such people because... I don't want to get political, but they're in certain places where you wouldn't hang around. Not to say that I hang out with them lol...
Wow, you like know so much about me. Two of my uni friends do the whole no shaving thing. One because she can't be bothered and I think the other one doesn't do it because of her whole 'I'm a womyn and I believe I shouldn't have to conform to men's ideals philosophy'. Which I guess pertains more to this.

KFunk said:
The core question, then, is this: Why not promote an attitude which is accepting of deviations from the norm? (i.e. such as would permit women to be hairy and men to wear dresses)
I like this. What's wrong with supporting that attitude.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
A lot of women feel the need to reject society's standards because they perceive them as being put in place and enforced by men.

Hence no shaving, no dresses etc.

They actively go against the grain because that's feminism to them.

Society labels you as a man or a woman, and you're expected to do and be certain things because of it. But your gender is ultimately up to you, to take or leave what society thinks. Openmindedness, yo.

xdemi101

HSC
scarybunny said:
Women will always be their own harshest critics.

So true,
and in relation to the whole no shaving thing,
i didn't shave my legs for a few weeks in my heaps-femenist stage, and it was acctually the girls in my group who were saying "eww, shave!!!" while a few of my guy friends were acctually quite supportive of it...

anyway now im back to shaving so no more "ew shave" from my girl friends.

i think there are a few types of femenists
those who feel to go ahead in life they need to adopt more "masculine" traits (only as society has put these in place)
and those who become altra-feminine and use their femininity to their advantage (in the workforce or other) to succeed in life.

im still not sure which one i am :(

atreus

HSC
there are different kinds of feminists. some support 'equal rights' for instance, but then other feminists come along and say that they dont want help- that giving them help is reinforicng the idea that it is within males' power to give them this help. the problem is feminists dont know what they want.

also, your comments about the 'average man' and 'average woman' and all that stuff. its just statstical evidence. on average women think more on the creative side. on average men are more spatial thinkers. its also just natural that on average, men are physically stronger than women. that is why they can't compete against eachother in the olympics. it would be unfair- in all sports where there are separate divisions for men and women, look at the records, esp in swimming/athletics. there is nothing anyone can do to change this, other than start injecting their daughters with growth hormones- which is cheating. if there is something u should be angry about witht he olympics its that they only have some sports for men, eg baseball. the women play softball instead.

i think some people need to get over the things they cannot change and focus on what they can change.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
atreus said:
there are different kinds of feminists. some support 'equal rights' for instance, but then other feminists come along and say that they dont want help- that giving them help is reinforicng the idea that it is within males' power to give them this help. the problem is feminists dont know what they want.
Though note that there is a difference between a situation in which various people labelled 'feminists' hold different ideals, and one in which individuals are unsure about which ideals they hold. E.g. I think it would be a mistake to take a class like political thinkers or philosophers and say 'they don't know what they want' - rather, partitions exist within these respective groupings. Common labels which don't specify a group with homogenous views include 'liberal' and 'theist'.

atreus said:
I think some people need to get over the things they cannot change and focus on what they can change.
Alcoholics anonymous (minus the god part).

yunsss

HSC
bassistx said:
I don't understand the need to "have what he has".
Are we aiming for equality or identicalness? Because the two are certainly not the same. Sigh.
I don't understand what is so wrong with saying "actress" instead of "actor" and "editrix" instead of "editor" - is it really that degrading, ladies? Does it somehow undermine your efforts?
I don't understand why the feminist movement is working against itself - instead of embracing feminism in its whole, changing the English language under the guise of rights, equality, and sexism.
I don't understand why women refuse to remove body hair and refuse to wear bras because "men don't have to". Why are you turning yourself into a man? Isn't that surrendering to the alleged "superior sex"? What makes you different from a man? Why, instead of embracing and accepting these differences, are you highlighting them by ignoring them? Ignoring your feminine figure and everything that goes with being a woman just makes it so blatantly "clear that men are superior". Why can't you be smart and pretty? Why do you dress in trousers instead of skirts? Why do you become agressive in the workplace, acting like a man, in the hopes that that glass-ceiling will open up for you? Just because you're acting like a man? I don't think so. What you look and behave like does not change the fact that you are a woman and instead of being proud of it, you're a walking billboard for the male sex, "acknowledging that being a man is the only way you're possibly going to get anything - it's a man's world".
I don't understand why we make fun of transvestites when heterosexual women dress in "uniforms of the opposite sex" everyday. Why do they not look as "ridiculous"?
I don't understand why the English language, or any language for that matter, has to change the feminine suffix to musculine - you are just giving them more power. You are surrendering, you're giving in, you're being submissive. You prance around in your suit without a scrap of make-up, eyebrows never been waxed and shake people's hands - because kisses are for women and if I'm anything of a woman, I won't get a promotion.
I find this so unbelievably pathetic. What were women fighting for? What are they still fighting for? The right to walk around like a hairy beast? EMBRACE BEING A WOMAN AND EVERYTHING THAT COMES WITH IT. We have such an advantage over men when it comes to the art of seducation but you've given that up and everything else, why? What for? We have our strengths and our weaknesses so that we compliment each other. If we were identical we wouldn't be in need of the other.
"Mankind" is the entire human race - male and female, black, white, and all shades of grey. "Mankind" is shortened to "man". This does not mean that man is superior to woman. This does not mean that because someone doesn't put "s/he" they are being sexist or chauvinist or feminist or whatever else.
I'm not saying to embrace those negative connotations of being a woman - dumb, stupid driver, never picked up a book, doesn't know anything about cars, etc. But I'd like to see some changes. I'd like to see you prove men wrong instead of supporting them.

I don't understand.
I just don't know why we can't be different but equal. Must we be identical? When will the battle of the sexes end? Will it end with a pair of heels on my feet or flat business shoes?

And to the men, there's something I'd like you to answer:
Do you respect women who are "men" (description above) more than those who accept nature and live comfortably?

I want equality. Nothing more, nothing less.
A kilo of apples and a kilo of oranges are equal. But are they the same? Must they be the same fruit to weigh the same amount? No.

Through identicalness, you lose your identity - which includes your gender because that, scientifically speaking, determines your actions, etc.

If any kids who study language/etymology/feminism/politics/etc. can share what they've been taught, that'd be great.
So you're saying women don't have a right to act like that?

Everyone has a right to live how they like (e.g. what they choose to appear like, what they want to behave like). Just because you don't understand it doesn't necessarily mean it's incorrect.

Is it such a terrible thing that such people exist for you?

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Girls dont like boys
Girls like cars and Money !!!!!!!!
Boys will laugh at girls
When they're not Funnay!!!!!!

(I dont know rest of the words :( )

fantabulous

HSC
All the work of feminists for equality is been reversed now though by slutty pop stars whi want to be treated with little dignity.

ccc123

HSC
fantabulous said:
All the work of feminists for equality is been reversed now though by slutty pop stars whi want to be treated with little dignity.
No but, I don't know if other people interpret it this way, but the promiscuity promoted in music video clips and TV series (e.g Sex and the City) is very much a new form of feminism. It's like another way of assuming a role (i.e, a role of gratuitous sexual expression) that males traditionally fulfilled, and thus promoting feminist ideals, if that makes sense.

ccc123

HSC
Schroedinger said:
No it doesn't and no it isn't.
Don't you think it could be sort of interpreted as a form of 'female empowerment'? It is like a woman is indicating that she is in control of her sexuality and will do what she likes.

Zephyrio

HSC
ccc123 said:
Don't you think it could be sort of interpreted as a form of 'female empowerment'? It is like a woman is indicating that she is in control of her sexuality and will do what she likes.
I can understand your viewpoint, but to me, acting lasciviously in music clips etc only reinforces the idea that women are meek and are only tools for sexual exploitation.

ccc123

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Exactly. Women acting in 'control' of their sexuality, are acting submissively towards the male concept of sexuality (i.e appropriate dress, discourse, actions, etc).

It's a massive misunderstanding of the concept of empowerment.
And yours.

ccc123

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Taking control of your sexuality in terms of enjoying sex and not bowing into pressure to experience sex in a conceptual framework, would be more feminist. For example, enjoying no-strings attached sex where you were fully engaged and a fully equal or controlling partner of the sexual engagement, and then continuing this with multiple partners could be considered slutty, but I'd see it more as a shattering of the current sexual paradigm. However, if you're sucking ten dicks in a row whilst wearing a french maid uniform under the auspices of modern feminism, you're not a feminist you're a moron with a dick in your mouth.
Yep, agreed. This is more the thing I meant, but mentioning video clips was probably misleading.

Zephyrio

HSC
Lol @ feminists who cite the word "history" as a gross chauvinist construct aimed to demean women. This is really random, but it's so lulworthy.

ccc123

HSC
Zephyrio said:
Lol @ feminists who cite the word "history" as a gross chauvinist construct aimed to demean women. This is really random, but it's so lulworthy.
haha. The thing is though, pretty much every word in the English language could be said to be chauvinist constructs, because the English language is largely a product of men.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)