Few Questions, Year 11 Subjects (1 Viewer)

Varin9

HSC
Hi,
I am currently in year 10 and am going to be soon deciding on yr 11 subjects,
I currently planning to do:

Maths Ext 1. (3 units)
Adv. English (2 units)
Chemistry (2 units)
Physics (2 units)
Total so far (9 units)
For my final units i have a few questions and want your opinion:

1. If i do 3u maths. do i have 2 seperate classes as in i do i still do 2u. ( same for adv. Englis do i still do sta. english)
2. How hard would you say chemistry and physics is
3. I want to do either, Information Processes technology or Software Design and Development, give your pros and cons to each ( as for me i like to do practical IT work such dseign websites and such). takes me to 11 units.
4. I wan to do either, Business studies or Economics, give your pros and cons to each, (I am really good at business studies and have good experiance, but the teacher is really bad, i have her for yr. 10 commerce, and she hates me, and i hate her, her lessons are borring and alwats textbook).
5.Please share any opinions

kcqn93

HSC
Hi,

Maths Ext 1. (3 units)
Adv. English (2 units)
Chemistry (2 units)
Physics (2 units)
Total so far (9 units)

1. If i do 3u maths. do i have 2 seperate classes as in i do i still do 2u. ( same for adv. Englis do i still do sta. english)

3. I want to do either, Information Processes technology or Software Design and Development, give your pros and cons to each ( as for me i like to do practical IT work such dseign websites and such). takes me to 11 units.
4. I wan to do either, Business studies or Economics, give your pros and cons to each, (I am really good at business studies and have good experiance, but the teacher is really bad, i have her for yr. 10 commerce, and she hates me, and i hate her, her lessons are boring and always textbook).
For maths, it really depends on your school. At my school the 3unit people are in the same class with the same teacher for 2unit aswell.

For Adv. English, you don't do stnd.... just the Adv stuff

IPT is dead fuck boring with a lot of theory... but I believe there's web design in the multimedia part... but still alot of theory. SDD is fun if you like scenarios and have logic, not much web-based designs, but you get to code stuff in python or c++(depending on your school, if you're stuck with VB, tough luck lol)

why don't you consider IT, the vet course?

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
For question 2, how hard would I say chemistry and physics are? I'd say about ten hards plus... I got a band 6 in maths and science in the sc, and i found chem a bit hard and I ended up swapping physics with biology

dragondilesh

HSC
Hi,

Maths Ext 1. (3 units)
Adv. English (2 units)
Chemistry (2 units)
Physics (2 units)
Total so far (9 units)

4. I wan to do either, Business studies or Economics, give your pros and cons to each, (I am really good at business studies and have good experiance, but the teacher is really bad, i have her for yr. 10 commerce, and she hates me, and i hate her, her lessons are borring and alwats textbook).
-physics isnt THAT hard, its a just a lot of memorising and applying, however it does require a good period of study time to be highly successful.
-ipt is 100% theory; practicals are minimal and generally pointless, however SSD is more pracs and just as much theory ( i think). However essentially IPT>leading toward a IT/ compsci degree with understanding of a bit of both and SSD>highly geared for a compsci degree.
-as my bias option econ is better.

however Please read the respective subjects sybalus. THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE YOU CAN GET. You will notice areas that u like or hate. and pick from there.

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

Maths Ext 1. (3 units)
Adv. English (2 units)
Chemistry (2 units)
Physics (2 units)
Total so far (9 units)

1. For every school, this varies but in most cases, your 2U and 3U teacher should be the same...
Check this with your teacher..

Btw standard and advanced do a common topic called the area of study; which for the 2009-2012 HSC is belonging.

2. Chemistry and Physics aren't that hard, but maybe if you try to understand some unfamiliar concepts, you might have a bit of difficulty...

3. SDD > IPT (imo; in IPT the course isn't very interesting compared with SDD; in SDD it's much more enjoyable from what people told me)

4. Year 10 Commerce is much different to what you learn in year 11 and 12 for legal, business and economics...
There is a new legal syllabus and it has been altered to favor people.. and hence a lot of people are liking the new syllabus atm :p
As for business studies idk but ask your teacher or someone else..

5. what other subjects do you have in mind?
btw try to ask about other subjects because that will open yourself to more options

And don't choose a subject only by its scaling, do it because you can =D

muzeikchun852

HSC
1. depend on school like most of the ppl said.

2. prelim chemistry and physics is extremely easy. its similar with year 10 science plus a few new concept. but i heard hsc would be a different case.

3. i hate either of the course, because i did IST in year 10. i would too bias for any opinion.

business:
pros - easy, great chance of getting in the 90s even if u are super dumb, quite general knowledge.
cons - very low scaling subject

economics:
pros - looking things in the whole of economy, instad of looking at just business. high scaling subject.
cons - the concept is not as easy as business or year 10 commerce. require a little bit of maths and skill for looking into graph.

5. u seems to be a maths/science person and i think u wont enjoy economics at all (which is wat im feeling right now). if ur school offers enginnering studies, do it. loads of my maths/science friends do it.hey said is a combination of maths physics and most of them enjoy the course very much.

hope my opinion will help. year 11 would be the most enjoyable year, since students can do the subject u like (except english).

with-chu

HSC
Regarding how hard chem & phys are... as long as you do your homework and keep up to date with everything, you should be fine. But HSC physics gets very conceptual and if your teacher isn't very good, it will be hard... it's important to stay on top of things.

kyokaku92

HSC
1) When I did 3U maths in yr 11, I was in one 3U class and we learnt the 2U and 3U concurrently. I would say it would be the same for every other school. Depending on your school you may have before and after school classes and possible double periods during the day.

You will only do the Adv English course, Standard is different (Standard do not study Shakespeare)

2) Trust me Chem is not easy at all and I kinda regret picking it. If you can apply your knowledge to questions they throw at you and are good at molar eqns and writing chemical eqns, then why not have a go. I cannot comment on physics as I don't do it, apart from my friends telling me it requires some maths.

3) IPT = very theory based course, assessments can be quite demanding depending on your school (I wrote a 48 page report on online systems for my last assessment and got 97%) and tbh it is a little dull but have a look at the syllabus to see if it interest you or not. I don't do SDD, so cannot comment.

4) Can't comment but consider both as they are useful if you are considering going into business/commerce at uni, read the syllabi for both

5) I like how you are considering choosing a mixed variety of subjects for HSC. This can work to you advantage if you take it as it opens a lot of doors at uni. I believe anyone can get a great ATAR if they put in the work to all their subjects. Do not pick subjects based on scaling factor, consider strengths and weaknesses. Might I suggest considering any of the histories, languages or arts... Good luck

Rezen

HSC
1. Depends on the school.

2. Depends on the person. Personally i find hsc physics easy, it requires basic maths and some memorisation of names, experiments and effects on society, etc... But as long as you can understand the basic idea you should be fine.
For chemistry i noticed some people 'get it' and others dont, as such more then half the people that started chemistry in my year ended up dropping it. Preliminary chemistry is mostly about ideas and learning to do basic calculations, but as soon as you hit hsc chem it basically becomes fact memorising.

3. I didn't do either of these.

4. I did economics and i enjoyed myself, even though i ended up dropping it. If you do this, be prepared to do alot of essays and be prepared to keep up to date with government statistics and the news etc...

Holly M

HSC
This might be a bit late but... In response to your questions:
Yes. You will have an Advanced class, and an Extension class. You will have 4 Adv and 2 Ext classes per week. Be prepared some schools put their Extension classes before or after school, but many also put them in school hours (like mine)... so be prepared for a bit more time. The students in your Extension class may or may not be in a separate class for Advanced... they are in my school.
Did that answer the question?
I do both. I find both fairly easy, not a complete breeze but not super hard. Physics has a lot of maths to it, equations, graphs etc but also has other fun stuff like cool concepts and practical experiments. Chemistry is a little harder for me, it does require sold maths skills (chemical equations etc) but also I think it requires more English skills (my problem) and there is more Earth science type stuff... less theory/practical and more 'how does this effect the earth' etc.
I'm sorry I can't say one is empirically easier or harder. But I would say... Physics is more mathsy. If you have trouble with maths (which I doubt you do since you're doing extension) then you will have trouble with both... but more so for Physics. I think most people would say physics is harder... maybe. Oh... The Chemistry syllabus has A LOT in it, the Physics not so much. I personally find Physics easier... but both are pretty simple at the moment (half way through Prelim). Sorry i can't be more helpful.

I don't do either, sadly. I wanted to so SDD because I thought it would be more practical and software designy (like you said you liked), however this was just my impression, i have not taken the course. Unfortunately Chemistry clashed with it on my schedule :(. Apparently in my school both are pretty easy. But I'm not sure if that will continue into year 12 or with external exams.

I don't take either, once again. How do you know you are good at business studies? I think Business studies would be mor einteresting. But teahcres are important... if people tell you not to pick based on teachers, they are lying... while it might not be a good reason to choose a class, it may be a good reason NOT to choose one. To me the question is, do you think you will learn from her? Wish I could help more.

Good luck with your selections and studies! I hope my little insights helped.

HSC
as far as either business studies and economics goes, i would definitely choose economics! it is a bit harder but it is much much better than business studies and scales really well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)