(Finalised) Official BOS Mathematics Trial Examinations. (1 Viewer)

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A
Carrot, just letting you know that I changed my mind and I am only doing the 3u paper. I don't wish to do the 4u paper since I think I will struggle A LOT.

deswa1

HSC
Fuark Carrot, I think I finally got that complex question... I'm going to get owned b ythis test (though the mechanics one I thought was way easier even though it was more marks). I would have missed something that made the complex easy I think- could you outline the method you used for this (can you PM me though so you don't spoli it for others). Thanks :)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Too straightforward, and didn't have enough space for it.

Warning: Possible solution to the complex numbers question, read at your own discretion.

Graph

Construct a triangle with vertices

Let the inclined angle be

Now:

Hence:

But since , the argument of makes a smaller angle, which can be seen as the triangle has the same "run" but a smaller "rise".

Hence:

Now substituting in what was equal to:

And since it is trivial that

Therefore:

As required.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

HSC
Another way would be to use the fact that:

(for x>0).

And since the argument really comes from:

You can go on to prove the given inequality.

deswa1

HSC
Warning: Possible solution to the complex numbers question, read at your own discretion.

Graph

Construct a triangle with vertices

Let the inclined angle be

Now:

Hence:

But since , the argument of makes a smaller angle, which can be seen as the triangle has the same "run" but a smaller "rise".

Hence:

Now substituting in what was equal to:

And since it is trivial that

Therefore:

As required.
If the inclined angle is theta, how does sin(theta)=1/k? Isn't tan(theta) equal to 1/k because k is the length of the adjacent side not the hypotenuse?

RealiseNothing

HSC
If the inclined angle is theta, how does sin(theta)=1/k? Isn't tan(theta) equal to 1/k because k is the length of the adjacent side not the hypotenuse?
Shit yer I kinda of skipped a step in my working, but:

For all

So:

So it still works :)

(I'm hoping I'm not derping and this is right).

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Is this question right? I ended up with unless i messed up somewhere..

Also with the complex number question, what if |z| > k? Wouldn't this mean the max arg would be pi? Not too sure about this one

Edit: Nvm inequality doesn't necessarily correspond to max, but just less than lol
You must have made a silly error somewhere.

Carrot, just letting you know that I changed my mind and I am only doing the 3u paper. I don't wish to do the 4u paper since I think I will struggle A LOT.
Sure thing, no worries.

Fuark Carrot, I think I finally got that complex question... I'm going to get owned b ythis test (though the mechanics one I thought was way easier even though it was more marks). I would have missed something that made the complex easy I think- could you outline the method you used for this (can you PM me though so you don't spoli it for others). Thanks :)
I'm not going to give you the complete answer, but here's a starting point that should help you finish the question in about 2 lines.

deswa1

HSC
I'm not going to give you the complete answer, but here's a starting point that should help you finish the question in about 2 lines.

Crap. Yes. Very nice. I didn't think of that- that's heaps neat (and WAY easier than what I did).

Lol I was trying to get that thing with the k as the hypotenuse but the only way I could think of was creating a circle with radius k (which is bigger than the unit circle) but that got messy too quickly so I stuffed that and just did ordinary inequalities stuff :( I guess I need to go over complex geometry again haha

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Any other scrapped 3U questions?

seanieg89

HSC
@Carrot.

Didn't end up doing all of the exam on the bus, took a nap about 30 mins in and slept until sydney lol. But I think I found one or two issues. Will PM when I have looked more thoroughly.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Cheers =)

I think I know what you are talking about. I found some things earlier today.

seanieg89

HSC
From what I can remember, an early MC question was wrong, and the last MC question didn't have any choices written yet lol. I think some subtleties regarding whether inequalities were strict or not were missed in the last question but that was from a cursory glance, I will give you something more thorough in my PM. Might have time to do it tonight.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sure thing. The ones you mentioned were fixed earlier today already, so should be all good. Let me know more later =)

deswa1

HSC
Just did that circle/simple harmonic one :) How many scrap questions do you have BTW lol? (not that I'm complaining- I love these questions)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just did that circle/simple harmonic one :) How many scrap questions do you have BTW lol? (not that I'm complaining- I love these questions)
Care to show us your answer?

I have a whole bunch of scrapped questions.

seanieg89

HSC
Check 5 if you haven't already, in particular the meaning of the word "complex"...

edit. and after that I'm pretty happy with the mc.

deswa1

HSC
Care to show us your answer?

I have a whole bunch of scrapped questions.
Umm it takes me ages to latex so I'll just run through my working.

1) is fairly straightforward- just use Pythag and trig in the triangle and its done.

2) First I differentiated the result in 1) to find d(theta)/dx. Now we have to find dx/dt (which is the velocity). But dx/dt=dx/d(theta) times d(theta)/dt. And it is given that d(theta)/dt=1 so that term pretty much cancels itself out so if we flip the derivative, we get dx/dt which is v. Then I squared both sides, halved them and differentiated with respect to x because a (acceleration)=d/dx (1/2v^2). And then this produced a result in the form of -n^2x which is simple harmonic. Hope you can follow this lol and I didn't make a mistake somewhere...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)