Financial ratios in business exam (1 Viewer)

123Username321

HSC
Hello.

I heard that the financial ratios are going to be provided in the HSC business studies exam this year and I was wondering if it will be the same for the business trial? Our school is doing the CSSA trial papers.

Thank you.

uniquee

reps2g is a stalker
HSC
Really? they're going to be included?

Examine

same
HSC
Dunno, though I would memorise them just in case. (It's not that hard to anyway, 10 minutes max)

iamorbid

HSC
yer I'd memorise them just to be safe but where'd you get the info of them being in the hsc exams?

loapowm

Banned
HSC
In the specium package they include the ratio

123Username321

HSC
My school went to a HSC business studies revision lecture in Sydney and the man that was running it said that they're rumoured to be included in the HSC exams from this year and onwards.
Also, they are in the specimum exam for business studies.

Examine

same
HSC
Tbh I don't see why they provide it, it defeats the purpose of actually going out of your way to understand how the ratios work, etc. Hopefully they compensate with better questions!

iamorbid

HSC
Tbh I don't see why they provide it, it defeats the purpose of actually going out of your way to understand how the ratios work, etc. Hopefully they compensate with better questions!
tbh we don't need people like you trying to make the exam harder, we got other subjects to study for too..

har

HSC
why are you people so shocked its on the syllbus..

loapowm

Banned
HSC
tbh we don't need people like you trying to make the exam harder, we got other subjects to study for too..
Examine is pretty boss at business. Remembering the ratios is like remembering definitinons

Last edited by a moderator:

iamorbid

HSC
Examine is pretty boss at business. Remembering the ratios is like remembering definitinons
depends really on what you look like, and I'm free to say I don't need harder tests.

Last edited by a moderator:

Examine

same
HSC
Lol. It's on the syllabus, it'd be like a question saying what are the product strategies, with the question giving that there is branding and packaging.

Plus as powlmao said, they aren't particularly hard to remember, it's not a stretch to say that everybody could remember them, know which category they go into, reflect what the ratio means, how the business can improve of them if you spend a solid 30 minutes on them.

For the sake of the topic in the CSSA Trial exams they did not provide any ratios in the exam.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed with where you are coming from but typically you don't get many marks from calculating the ratio but rather the bigger marks are in understanding and applying said ratios.

iamorbid

HSC
Agreed with where you are coming from but typically you don't get many marks from calculating the ratio but rather the bigger marks are in understanding and applying said ratios.
haha sermify now I dont make any sense, anyways knowing the idea and purpose of the ratios is what is important such as a high gross profit ratio and a low net profit ratio meaning that expense are way too much. Not necessarily what to divide, only interested in concepts.

Examine
If you feel like going out of your way to memorise more stuff, please do but don't demand to make it a formal part of the syllabus.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
haha sermify now I dont make any sense, anyways knowing the idea and purpose of the ratios is what is important such as a high gross profit ratio and a low net profit ratio meaning that expense are way too much. Not necessarily what to divide, only interested in concepts.
That being said, if you can't prove that you know how to calculate something, how can you truly understand the idea/purpose/application of a ratio?

Besides, it's not hard to memorise the ratios and realistically their names are quite self explanatory and knowing it prepares you for the real world where you don't have a list of ratios with you on hand when someone tells you that a company's gearing is too high for example. And a lot of the terminology e.g. gross, net, margins, etc... are used a lot and really should be thoroughly understood as opposed to just rote learned for the sake of regurgitating a definition.

Examine

same
HSC

Examine
If you feel like going out of your way to memorise more stuff, please do but don't demand to make it a formal part of the syllabus.
Have I actually made any demands in my statement?

iamorbid

HSC
This optimism and nerd-like tone -.-
No specific statements but gives a sense of it...

iamorbid

HSC
That being said, if you can't prove that you know how to calculate something, how can you truly understand the idea/purpose/application of a ratio?

Besides, it's not hard to memorise the ratios and realistically their names are quite self explanatory and knowing it prepares you for the real world where you don't have a list of ratios with you on hand when someone tells you that a company's gearing is too high for example. And a lot of the terminology e.g. gross, net, margins, etc... are used a lot and really should be thoroughly understood as opposed to just rote learned for the sake of regurgitating a definition.
Yer I agree, you need to learn lots of stuff actually if you're going to continue in that field...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)