Finding friends at uni (1 Viewer)

05er

HSC
Coming from an area outside Sydney, and with no one I know going to USyd, how hard is it to make friends in your first year of uni? If I had no one to talk to and bitch about and laugh to and dance about I'd likely die.

Is it easier staying at a College?
Do you have better relationships with people at Socs, the Manning, Lecs or tutes?

Lainee

HSC
05er said:
Coming from an area outside Sydney, and with no one I know going to USyd, how hard is it to make friends in your first year of uni? If I had no one to talk to and bitch about and laugh to and dance about I'd likely die.

Do you have better relationships with people at Socs, the Manning, Lecs or tutes?
Just be open and friendly and look approachable. :) It's easy to make friends anywhere, regardless of how many people you know. Just don't sit in one corner - start talking to people! The people who say it's hard to make friends in uni probably wait for people to come rather than be friendly and nice and attract people to them!

Last edited:

Lainee

HSC
Heheheh I'd be your friend if you get in. (extra incentive... kinda lol!)

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
people in socs and clubs usually don't get the opportunity to become close friends mainly because everyone is doing a different degree in different areas

you basically will find your friends in tutorials andmore often than not, through friends of friends. When you get to uni, somehow, the world seems smaller. everyone starts know everyone through 6 degrees of separation LOL

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
people in socs and clubs usually don't get the opportunity to become close friends mainly because everyone is doing a different degree in different areas

you basically will find your friends in tutorials andmore often than not, through friends of friends. When you get to uni, somehow, the world seems smaller. everyone starts know everyone through 6 degrees of separation LOL
Well said.

05er

HSC
Eagles said:
or come to unsw :p
Sorry. I like olde worlde USyd faaaaaarrrrr too much.

Sarah168 said:
Fo shizzle? Why bother joining on then?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
haha it's all in the initial excitement amongst squealings of "I'm totally gonna join 50 clubs!!! it's o week! let's go crazy!" :rolleyes:

but really, you join for interests sake and if you're selective enough then you'll have time to go to the movie nights, screenings, pub crawls and balls or whatever it organises. Join the ones you like but don't go too crazy.

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
My Names Densuki
ill b going to usyd/unsw with with...with e shirt going ' IM FROM BOREDOFSTUDIES.ORG'
eehhe make fwends with me!

kate9032

Luke-warm Member
HSC
That whole 6 degrees thing is very true. Although i knew a lot of people from high school would be going to my uni that didnt offer me much consolation on the first day. However..you just start talking to another lost person who then talks to another etc etc and within a month you have a whole group thing going on in lectures and tutes. All of a sudden you arnt clinging to distant school mates in different courses and have found friends with the same interests as you. From there you just continue to meet people through friends.

fantasia

HSC
its not that hard.. i mean on the first few days/weeks of uni everyones adjusting to uni and most of them would be quite open to friendships and whatever. Because even though they might have friends that go to the same uni, they might not particularly have friends that do the same course. that's where you could come in and meet people in tutes/lectures and stuff. heck i met some people on the bus on the first day of uni and got to know them because we all got lost... and we're still friends now. I mean then you start meeting friends of friends and all of a sudden it kinda feels like everyone knows each other.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
05er said:

You'll find friends, somehow :)

If all else fails, I'll be your friend - even though I was a little harsh on another thread earlier ... :) Come to Manly for a swim.

Also - I have found that by getting jobs in places where there are heaps of uni students has been a great way of finding friends at uni ... infact, all of my closest friends at uni i have met at or through my job at uni. Try and get a job at uni - it's way fun. :)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
my sem 1 was quite miserable with only random acquaintences but sem 2 improves as you really start to settle in. might take awhile.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah it can take a while to make friends. I ended up meeting my 'group' of uni friends through group work.

I find education students make friends straight away cos its like high school for them....they do all their classes together...

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I made a lot of my friends through 'friends of friends' and that six degrees of seperation, which is intensified somewhat in the unibar. The best place to start making friends is in your tutorials because you see them every week, you'll probably share a common interest and they'll usually have friends that you'll be introduced to.

MandiMoo

HSC
Has any one made like a heaps close friend like one in particular from uni or is it just acquaintences and ppl u hang with or r us talking real friendships?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
There are some subjects/majors that you can make a lot of friends in. Language is one of them. If you choose a language major/minor. You're in the same class as at first a large group of people, then a smaller group for a long time. There might be people who you don't really get along with, but in the end, you're all mates and can joke about each other, with each other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)