Finding friends at uni (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
05er said:
Coming from an area outside Sydney, and with no one I know going to USyd, how hard is it to make friends in your first year of uni? If I had no one to talk to and bitch about and laugh to and dance about I'd likely die.

Is it easier staying at a College?
Do you have better relationships with people at Socs, the Manning, Lecs or tutes?
list of ideas:-

- join clubs/societies;
- go to the relevant camp;
- sit next to randoms in your tutes/lects/labs and chat them up;
- stay on BoS. :D

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
How can reading what people say on the internet tell you what kind of person someone is? Seriously, if you start categorising people by their words alone then you are seeing only the very simplest aspect of their mind. Quite sad.

HSC
05er said:
Coming from an area outside Sydney, and with no one I know going to USyd, how hard is it to make friends in your first year of uni? If I had no one to talk to and bitch about and laugh to and dance about I'd likely die.

Is it easier staying at a College?
Do you have better relationships with people at Socs, the Manning, Lecs or tutes?
Socs I made some ok friends through, but met most of my current friends (and partner) through somone I did group work with.

jellybeenz

HSC
I don't really have many Uni friends... sure I have people I can talk to on occasion but all my friends are still from school... I think its easier to make friends if you come from out of sydney because then you are kind of forced to, you don't have school friends to fall back on... thats probably my biggest problem (or blessing I dunno)-- my two closest friends who live like 2 mins away both go to usyd with me and I hang with them mostly coz we catch the bus/train to and from uni together. I also see people from school on the train and I always call them to meet up with.

I think its easy if you make the effort and coz you have to make the effort then you will, so don't worry about it :)

Gummy_bear

HSC
Why dont you put up a notice asking for fellow Bored of studyers to come and have a meet and greet. lol, we are all nice people *nods*

05er

HSC
Lexicographer said:
How can reading what people say on the internet tell you what kind of person someone is? Seriously, if you start categorising people by their words alone then you are seeing only the very simplest aspect of their mind. Quite sad.
Hahaha, amusing.

Have you been to NS recently?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
You just need to approach it with a positive attitude. For me it was pretty intimidating, I was from the country as well, knew not a single person in Sydney, and nobody in my family had ever lived anywhere but Albury.

But just be friendly, chat with people at uni etc. It took a bit of time for me before people moved from being acquaintences to friends but it was fine. If someone says "why don't we go grab a coffee" say yes. If someone says "lets go to the unibar after class" say yes. Just take every opportunity you get to know people better etc. I'm pretty lucky cos my faculty is not that big and is all in one building so people get to know each other. Plus I got to know people from student housing and also from my jobs. I'm leaving Sydney on Tuesday and not coming back until August next year and I am really quite sad that I won't be seeing my Sydney friends for such a long time!

p.r.i.n.c.e.s.s

mademoiselleN
HSC
:)

-You'd be fine. :) Make sure you attend Orientation Week, there'll be a lot of students like you! and everybody is so cool when tipsy.

It's a great time, plus, you can still use the girl-in-distress weapon when everything else fails :p

jellybeenz

HSC
miss_gtr said:
Umm no i have to live in sans souci for a month or so until i adjust to city life (ima bumpkin) because my mother thinks i wont lock the doors and i'll get raped and i'll starve to death cuz i cant cook/clean and i'll get lost everywhere. Then after ive adjusted my parents are taking their 2 level apartment back from renting to other ppl and i get to live with my sister..whose already in uni down there.
Sounds horrible.. i dont wanna go.
Sans Souci is nice... its where I live :)

Sounds horrible? City life is awesome, don't be scared. There really isn't that much to adjust to because the suburbs feel very much like any country town. The city is a bit more to get used to... but really the biggest problem you'll have is navigating public transport (and dealing with having more people around)... Plus the friend thing and if your sister is already here in Sydney then you have a guarunteed support system! It'll take you two months tops to figure out a routine, once you are okay with that then your halfway there.... I'm sure you can find someone in a tute to bitch about the course work with :) and there you go, perfect conversation starter... use it with everyone...

(says the girl who can count her uni friends with two fingers)

Last edited:
HSC
Henry_Kissinger said:
come to the fascist collective stall

i'll give you a free sticker.
Jordan stop being a bitch and join the liberal club, or at least support my run for union/

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i made friends by getting slightly lost and the n coming to one of my first lectures late and sitting next to some random people who are pretty much now my closest uni friends

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)