wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
lol why are you so eager to know how to do it

I get the feeling you haven't done the quiz yet =d

Last edited:

tambam

HSC
I'm pretty sure kyung made the quiz ridiculous just to pay us back for being crap in his lecture.
If anyone gets 10 in this they are actually god.

halapenyo

HSC
I'm pretty sure kyung made the quiz ridiculous just to pay us back for being crap in his lecture.
If anyone gets 10 in this they are actually god.
if anyone gets 10 in this they should be allowed to skip the next two years of uni and just graduate now.

Villa94

HSC
u had to select the right statements
So it wasnt really working stuff out but just more understanding the theory/applications?

...well, fudge. Looks like I'll either be failing or passing this course, depending on how I do in the quiz.

But you know what, I can't be bothered to care anymore. If I pass, life's great. If I fail, life will move on and I'll move on. It's a flexible core course, so it's not the end of the world if I fail this course and never take it again. >__>; (Wish I dropped out a lot earlier though. Too late for regrets now, I guess.)

But seriously. How can a university quiz only have three multiple choice questions? I don't get the logic behind that.

*still studying like heck though*

Really? Im in the exact same boat, but I didnt know we didnt have to do it again. I thought id have to do it again next semester and pass. Please tell me what youre saying is correct! :)))))

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
depends if you want to major in finance or not.
if you are, then you're going to need to do it again =P

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
So it wasnt really working stuff out but just more understanding the theory/applications?

Really? Im in the exact same boat, but I didnt know we didnt have to do it again. I thought id have to do it again next semester and pass. Please tell me what youre saying is correct! :)))))
First off, I just took the quiz, so what I can tell you is that you WILL need to work stuff out, so know how to use those formulas well.

Secondly, if you're planning on going for a Finance major, you'll need to take this course again. Otherwise, don't worry, you'll never need to take it again. Heck, even though it's a CA/CPA-accredited course and I might be going for an Accounting major, I'm still not going to retake this course, because I don't even know if I want to work in Accounting after I graduate. And if I do choose to work in Accounting and I want to get my CA/CPA qualification, I can do a Finance bridging course then, and I have a feeling that studying it in my own time will do me more good than taking it again in university.

Third, let me hug you. Finally, I've met someone that's in the exact same situation as me. (4025808, you don't count, you're most likely going to pass this course with a 50 to 60-something. I, on the other hand, will dramatically fail. Hopefully I can get a pass conceded. 8'D)

HSC
Uni Grad
First off, I just took the quiz, so what I can tell you is that you WILL need to work stuff out, so know how to use those formulas well.

Secondly, if you're planning on going for a Finance major, you'll need to take this course again. Otherwise, don't worry, you'll never need to take it again. Heck, even though it's a CA/CPA-accredited course and I might be going for an Accounting major, I'm still not going to retake this course, because I don't even know if I want to work in Accounting after I graduate. And if I do choose to work in Accounting and I want to get my CA/CPA qualification, I can do a Finance bridging course then, and I have a feeling that studying it in my own time will do me more good than taking it again in university.

Third, let me hug you. Finally, I've met someone that's in the exact same situation as me. (4025808, you don't count, you're most likely going to pass this course with a 50 to 60-something. I, on the other hand, will dramatically fail. Hopefully I can get a pass conceded. 8'D)
but getting 60 something is extremely horrible for an actuarial student, *sigh* fml

Hate this subject to death; it's even worse than accounting :/

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
but getting 60 something is extremely horrible for an actuarial student, *sigh* fml

Hate this subject to death; it's even worse than accounting :/
Hush. If you're getting good grades in Actuarial and you find it interesting, that's what counts. Ignore the "Finance should be easy peasy for Actuarial students" crap. This course just sucks, period. It's not your fault. Not entirely anyway. =/

Definitely worse than Accounting. I'm sticking to my beautiful Accounting, thank you. And if even that sucks for me, I'll go into Education and cry me a river. (But that chance is highly unlikely.)

Villa94

HSC

THANKYOU you and wantingtoknow are my heroes.

Ive regretted choosing Finance for ages! Good to know i wont have to do it again if i fail because im definitely not a finance major!

Just wondering though, depending on how I go tomorrow I will either pass/fail this part of the course because im pretty sure that I read that you need to get over 50% in the quizzes and attendance/pariticipation to pass the course just like you need to get over 50% in the exam. So basically, if i fail tomorrow does that mean I dont have to do the FINS exam next week because I cant pass FINS anyway? Or do I still have to do it?

Hope yyou can understand that and thanks!

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
noo, go do it anyway. you have no idea how they calculate the marks and stuff so there might still be a chance you can pass the course =)

and also, you wouldn't want a fail on your transcript so try as hard as you can to pass the course. I thought fins1613 was pretty hard too but I ended up doing fairly well in the course.

halapenyo

HSC
hey wantingtoknow do they release the participation/attendance marks onto blackboard for fins1613?

also if i missed 1 tutorial out of the 11 would that mean no chance of a 5/5 for attendance?

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
they didn't do it when I did the course

and idk, it depends how anal your tutor is lol

Last edited:

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
THANKYOU you and wantingtoknow are my heroes.

Ive regretted choosing Finance for ages! Good to know i wont have to do it again if i fail because im definitely not a finance major!

Just wondering though, depending on how I go tomorrow I will either pass/fail this part of the course because im pretty sure that I read that you need to get over 50% in the quizzes and attendance/pariticipation to pass the course just like you need to get over 50% in the exam. So basically, if i fail tomorrow does that mean I dont have to do the FINS exam next week because I cant pass FINS anyway? Or do I still have to do it?

Hope yyou can understand that and thanks!
I'm regretting choosing Finance (or more specifically, FINS1613) as well. I wish that I had dropped it when I had the chance, but my stubborn pride got in the way. I'm never letting it get in the way again. I'm clearly not a Finance major - Maths is my weak point and I hate formulas. It takes me ages to convert formulas to figure out their variables because I'm just plain stupid and slow when it comes to Maths. ;(

I enjoy the Maths in Accounting though. I don't know what's wrong with my head, rofl.

Now, to answer your question - like what wantingtoknow said, I'd encourage you to do the best that you can in your exams, because the marking criteria in the course outline is a little vague. Some of my friends have said that they failed all their quizzes, but they passed the course because they got pretty decent marks on their exam. I'm not sure if that's because of tutorial attendance and participation marks, but if those do play a factor in our tutorial component, then as long as you pass the exam, you might still have a chance at passing the course.

...of course, we probably would only get 1/5 for tutorial participation or more if our tutors are awesome and count asking them for help after the tutorial as participation marks. But as long as you've been attending all the tutorials, well, you'll instantly get 5 marks, so... *shrugs*

hey wantingtoknow do they release the participation/attendance marks onto blackboard for fins1613?

also if i missed 1 tutorial out of the 11 would that mean no chance of a 5/5 for attendance?
If they haven't even bothered to give us our quizzes back, I doubt that they'd bother to release the participation and attendance marks onto Blackboard for FINS1613. (Their student support system is honestly crappy. No PASS classes, no discussion boards, nothing. They don't even give you back your quizzes so that you can reflect over what content you need to look over again... *mutters*)

I also missed only one tutorial, but it was due to an alarm clock problem and I emailed them asking to make up the tutorial in another class, which they let me do, so I don't know if it's still on my record. I guess, like what wantingtoknow said, it depends on how anal your tutor is. My tutor seems pretty nice, but who knows...

Longer explanation of what happened: I have low iron levels in my blood, so it's harder for me to wake up without an alarm clock. (I have papers that prove this.) My tutorial is from 9-10am. Even though I set my alarm clock in time for the tutorial (and I showed my tutor this), it didn't ring. I'll wake up immediately if it rings, because it keeps ringing until I stop it, but it didn't ring at all - even when it wasn't muted, wasn't on vibrate, etc. So as soon as I woke up (at 10am), I emailed my tutor, who told me to email the lecturer. I emailed the lecturer, and he agreed to let me make up the tutorial on another day. Thank goodness for that, because I had a quiz in that class that I had to take!

^ Shows that there's always a way out of a bad situation. ;)

Jashua_Long

Banned
HSC
N/A

They do put up the participation marks, but very late.

When I did the subject, they put up the participation mark on the night before the final exam (literally). However, FINS1613 was on the first Friday of exams (1st day of exams).

It's disappointing to see so much hatred directed at what is a fairly basic first year subject. When I did the subject, they still had consultations. However, hardly anyone showed up to them, so in the following semester they thought it was better to just stop them. What they really should be doing is a few PASS classes. Students don't show up to consults very often, but they will show up to PASS classes if you run them. A PASS class costs the same as having a consultation. I don't know why they don't do it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)