FINS2624 Textbook (1 Viewer)

bluexin99

HSC
The UNSW Bookshop textbook list says that the book Investments by Bodie is recommended rather than a prescribed text and that the only prescribed resource required is the spreadsheet applications to securities valuation & investment.

Is the Investment textbook an important resource? To those who have done fins2624, were the lecture slides detailed? How about the textbook?

I did fins1613 last sem. The textbook for that subject was not very detailed and upon hindsight, the only reason that made me purchase it was because it was a prescribed text. I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

akqjt

HSC
The UNSW Bookshop textbook list says that the book Investments by Bodie is recommended rather than a prescribed text and that the only prescribed resource required is the spreadsheet applications to securities valuation & investment.

Is the Investment textbook an important resource? To those who have done fins2624, were the lecture slides detailed? How about the textbook?

I did fins1613 last sem. The textbook for that subject was not very detailed and upon hindsight, the only reason that made me purchase it was because it was a prescribed text. I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
If Henry Yip is teaching the course I'd get it, mainly for the practice questions. Y

ninjapuppet

HSC
N/A
Damn right about 1613!

In all my subjects so far, the prescribed textbook usually covers all of what we need to know, and more than what the course content has. if not, then a few textbooks are prescribed.

1613 decided to throw a whole bunch of more stuff in not covered in the textbook. i'm sure if the lecturer searched far and wide enough, there would be a much more suitable textbook than the prescribed one for 1613.

i'm glad i got that behind me. 1613 was such a pain in the butt.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
If Investments from BKM is recommended, don't buy it. If you really want to buy it, i've got the 7th edition that i can sell to you if you want it. $40 negotiable ;)

FuJu

HSC
I'll be taking this course this semester as well, and I don't think I'll be purchasing Investments if it's not prescribed. Last semester, even the prescribed texts seemed a huge waste of money (FINS1612, 1613, and ECON2101, 2206).

And personally I think it's a load of crap that Yip can prescribe his own textbook.

jeffchong

HSC
I'll be taking this course this semester as well, and I don't think I'll be purchasing Investments if it's not prescribed. Last semester, even the prescribed texts seemed a huge waste of money (FINS1612, 1613, and ECON2101, 2206).

And personally I think it's a load of crap that Yip can prescribe his own textbook.
Hmm.... Should I only go buy his book, or buy the Investments book? While tute questions may come from Yip's book, should I get the Investments to do additional questions? I've seen numerous rants on BoS of Yip scolding students for being lazy ie not doing questions, when in reality questions in his book are limited. Darn the Investment book is quite expensive. I dun mind purchasing Yip's book as it's significantly cheaper :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)