FINS2624 - What the fuck (1 Viewer)

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
The major question I have is how do the students who get 90%-100% in this course do it?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
chris_c28 said:
The major question I have is how do the students who get 90%-100% in this course do it?
does the term freak of nature apply in this circumstance :p

hero.

HSC
N/A
Were there any leaked past papers for this course? Like a pdf lying around.

The exams are usually hard but all the tutorial questions are straight forward. Cant seem to be able to do the questions in the mid semesters fast enough.

For those who have done the course, was there excel stuff in the final exam?

schmeichung

HSC
FINS2624 was not hard at all. Do your tutorial exercise, understand the material then you will easily achieve 75 or above. If you do well and understand the stuffs thoroughly, it's very likely that you will score well in FINS3635 too! In my eyes the material of FINS2624 & FINS3635 are so similar. So study hard guys

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
schmeichung said:
FINS2624 was not hard at all. Do your tutorial exercise, understand the material then you will easily achieve 75 or above. If you do well and understand the stuffs thoroughly, it's very likely that you will score well in FINS3635 too! In my eyes the material of FINS2624 & FINS3635 are so similar. So study hard guys
who was ur lecturer?

schmeichung

HSC
It doesn't matter after all. They were half Julia and half Henry. I hardly turned up more than 1/4 of the lectures. (maybe first, last, mid-sem and 1 or 2 lectures)

What more important is you are able to self-study. Lecturers and tutors are just the guides whenever you are stuck during self-study.

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
schmeichung said:
It doesn't matter after all. They were half Julia and half Henry. I hardly turned up more than 1/4 of the lectures. (maybe first, last, mid-sem and 1 or 2 lectures)

What more important is you are able to self-study. Lecturers and tutors are just the guides whenever you are stuck during self-study.
But that's contradictory to what Henry Yip will tell you. He says you must attend all lectures.... :p

HSC
henry was quiet the shocking lecturer; he did a poor job explaining things but one thing i do know is pre-readings did help understand his lectures alot. im not sure if the man didnt have enough time to explain indepth whats going on, or its his style of teaching but i know pre-readings helped alot

he uses the exact same mid semesters/finals, my guess is those people that go really well are really talented or got their hands on a past paper. it wouldnt be hard to swipe one. my friend got 75 in fins2624, he neever went lectures but mind you this man was a freak at maths, he does acturial studies. so for him, those concepts come naturally to him and i know he didnt cheat, but he did go to all tutorials.

i did fins2624 last semester, the roof started falling down on me LOL lets hope that doesnt happen to you :p

Avanti

HSC
I did this last sem. Passed with a 51% in midsession, then got 70% after the final. Seriously I reckon there was scaling. The final was better as in you could actually finish, but it was only slightly easier.

Henry Yip is a total asshole. He chucked a fit last sem saying it was all our fault for doing so poorly and that we were too lazy to do the tutorial work. Give me a break! There are only 6 questions per tutorial, and everyone did them to death before the midsession.

It's his fault for not providing extra practice questions, and past papers (because they need to reuse them. Unlike 1613 and 1612 you won't find any floating around). Plus in the end it all depends on if you can understand his grammatically incorrect wording. Goooooodddluuuck

HSC
definitely failed this course.
left after an hour, lol. got smashed in EMH but raped the butterfly spread question, loved it.

although i can see the point on henry yip, what a cunt. he was so unprepared in te last 2 weeks, just wasting time, taking 10 minutes off the class to call his mum. bloody hell. he probably still lives with his mum. god.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Henry Yip is a dick. I have friends doing it this semester and the averages seem to be just as low as they were when I did it last semester. Obviously the quality of his teaching hasn't improved.

HSC
i remember once in class someone asked him to speak up, and then rather than him turn the volume or speak louder.. he stared at her for about 15 seconds (im not joking, most arkward 15 seconds ever) he had a go at the student accusing her of talking over him saying he heard her talk rarara
sounded like a child, really pisses me off. its not asian lecturers that are shit, cause tho nyugen who did 3630 is a legend, cant understand the bastard but he will try to help you as much as possible.

jhu89

HSC
eh my mistake, posting the same thing twice but this thread seems more popular lol

does any1 know whether the tests (midsession & final) are written by yip or is it just from a test bank, or rather, a non-yip source?

i hope its not from him:bomb:

Efficient5

HSC
Oh great, so 50% of people are gonna pass. I didn't realise how fucked I am then. I regret reading this now lol.
Why does he put so many spreadsheet exercises in? It never was a course about spreadsheets. I think he wants us to use his book - just change the whole course around so we can use his book. god. cant stand him.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
I disagree with the way the course is being taught at the moment, i.e. very late midsem, but otherwise... it's known to be a hard course. Keep that in mind and don't fall behind.

Yeah people do badly in the midsems but every sem theres either easy assignments or tutorial participation to make up for that.

Yip's a very traditional guy. He might be a bit unclear sometimes but if anyone bothered to approach him he'll never turn you back - he values education and will always answer your questions.

People always whinge and whinge about the textbook. The textbook is honestly great. It's TINY and you know you have to know the thing almost head-to-toe... the chapters move a little fast at times but it allows you to just sit down and read it through. That makes life easy because you know its written by the guy thats marking you - it's all relevant. Would you rather have a 1000 page New York finance textbook which you have to comb through carefully to selectively find the information you need?

But really, why are you guys even studying finance in the first place? Do you think that if you're going to work at an investment bank or study a CFA juggled with full-time work your life is going to be any easier than this course?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)