FINS3XXX (1 Viewer)

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Which ones are recommended, which should I avoid? I've seen some reviews on student2trader but they seem years old so I'm not sure if the courses have been updated or revamped or anything.

Zozo6969

HSC
^^^ Seconded.

Also 3641, 3625 and 3623 are quite useful.

3655 is also good, gives a different perspective of finance, should be done at the end of your degree though.

3637 is needed if you want RG146 qualifications.

garrry

HSC
^^^ Seconded.

Also 3641, 3625 and 3623 are quite useful.

3655 is also good, gives a different perspective of finance, should be done at the end of your degree though.

3637 is needed if you want RG146 qualifications.
@Zozo6969, your thoughts on Risk and Insurance - 3631 I think and Interest Rate Risk - 3636 ?

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
It only says FINS2624 is a prereq for 3635 (options,futures+risk mgmt) and 3641 (security analysis + valuation), will that be enough assumed knowledge for me to do well (i.e. DN or HD) in those? or should I take 3616 (intl business finance) before I do those?

miaowsha

HSC
Which ones are recommended, which should I avoid? I've seen some reviews on student2trader but they seem years old so I'm not sure if the courses have been updated or revamped or anything.
Trust student2trader. They haven't let us down yet. Also, I'd go with anything that can lead you to your qualification or tickles your fancy. What's easy for others might not be for you and vice versa.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends if the OP is a qualitative or quantitative kind of person. I wanted something easy and enjoyable, and got that with international corporate governance. I also found bank financial management pretty good as it was relevant to my work and I found it pretty easy- but the lecturer wasn't that great.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I felt like giving this thread a bump. So I've heard of a lecturer/tutor called Henry Yip and apparently he sets hard exams (from the number of people that fail). I'm planning to major in Finance, anyway that I can avoid this?

HSC
I felt like giving this thread a bump. So I've heard of a lecturer/tutor called Henry Yip and apparently he sets hard exams (from the number of people that fail). I'm planning to major in Finance, anyway that I can avoid this?
Henry isn't taking FINS2624 for S1/2012. In fact, the prescribed textbook has even changed. I just had him for summer and both the mid-sesmester and final exams were pretty easy. Definitely not hyped up to what people say it is. But, I think the reason why the finals was so easy was because 60% of people failed the mid-semester and 89% got a FL,PS or CR.

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
Henry isn't taking FINS2624 for S1/2012. In fact, the prescribed textbook has even changed. I just had him for summer and both the mid-sesmester and final exams were pretty easy. Definitely not hyped up to what people say it is. But, I think the reason why the finals was so easy was because 60% of people failed the mid-semester and 89% got a FL,PS or CR.
do you know if the new guy is good? I noticed the change as well so I was going to take 2624 this year but after reading your comment, I'm having second thoughts now hah

bored of ur mum

HSC
Henry Yip does not set overly hard tests. His tests simply separate the good/excellent students form the average students. The material in 2624 itself is simple conceptually and a very short course. So the good students will still get their HD's, while the average one's may get C's, P's, whereas in normal fins courses they'll get D's. The bads will fail regardless lol.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Henry Yip does not set overly hard tests. His tests simply separate the good/excellent students form the average students. The material in 2624 itself is simple conceptually and a very short course. So the good students will still get their HD's, while the average one's may get C's, P's, whereas in normal fins courses they'll get D's. The bads will fail regardless lol.
I don't disagree but I think at least when I did FINS2624, the tests involved more luck than actual knowledge of the content- e.g. asking a question on a random article/reading out of 20, and asking about a footnote web link in his own textbook.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)