first aid course (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Look in the training section of your newspaper.

Alternatively, call St Johns.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Is it worth doin?

Does an employer take that as a large factor?

HSC
mr_brightside said:
Is it worth doin?

Does an employer take that as a large factor?
Its more the fact that u may be able to use it to save someones life, right?

well thats why I did it anyways

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
sikeveo said:
anyone know where i can do one on the weekend?
Go to the St johns website http://www.stjohnnsw.com.au/
then go to training and courses,then first aid training timetables.

mr_brightside said:
Is it worth doin?
Yes its worth doing it.
You never know when you might need to save someone's life.
I did my senior first aid certificate almost 3 years ago at school.St johns people came in.
Its valid for 3 years.
I need to renew mine soon.

Last edited:

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Very useful skill to have, but it only seems to be useful in the eyes of an employer in some circumstances. I've had one for years, but they don't need one at my workplace because we're not large enough to need one. So they don't care. I've recently applied to be a volunteer team leader (but I refuse to pay $400 to join their association even before they consider the application), and they looked highly upon the first aid course, apparently....

Is nice to have the reassurance that you've got it, if you need it ever. I'm a Scout leader and so I get mine paid for by the group, but I'd be willing to pay it myself if need be. You need them renewed (St John's, anyway) every three years or so, but it's a nice little thing to add to your resume.

In reality it's probably not too necessary: half of it is just how to stabalise the patient and then call 000, becuase they'd prefer not to tell you too much for legal reasons (protection of both themselves and you, but you're generally pretty safe if you administer first aid as a volunteer), but as said: is good to have for the 'just in case' factor.

Gosh that's a long post.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Yeah... ^_^ good Usefull skill- and if you join the Volunteer part of St Johns it can be even better- (eg you don't pay for your course if you become part of a division- and you do heaps of trainning- doing duties and so on)
10 Hunt St Surry Hills- St John Ambulance Headquarters- Thats where you can go to order kits, do your courses and find out more info... alternitavley you can call up headquarters (doesn't know telephone number)

bubble

Moo
HSC
I'm doing one on the weekend, and it was only $60 because im a "high school student" SCORE!!!

bubble

Moo
HSC
took me a while to reply - yeah I rang up and asked if they had any special deals for high school students, I got a discount because I did it for Duke of Ed award theres a special lady that deals with Duke of Ed applications - but they aren't going to know if you are doing Duke of Ed or not..So as long as you provide proof that your a high school student

santaslayer

HSC
i did mine at UNSW with 2 friends. did the intermediate course for about $130 (student price)...the cert lasts 3 years. :)

ur uni usually has courses like this...if u go to uni..

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
bubble said:
took me a while to reply - yeah I rang up and asked if they had any special deals for high school students, I got a discount because I did it for Duke of Ed award theres a special lady that deals with Duke of Ed applications - but they aren't going to know if you are doing Duke of Ed or not..So as long as you provide proof that your a high school student
yeh i do duke of ed anyway, so its all good.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
olchik said:
Why do you need to do that?
Some people just find it may be helpful down the road.

Pharmacy/med students have to do it too.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Good to put on resume and in some jobs it can be an advantage not too mention that knowing your arsehole from your earhole when you get bitten by a snake can be handy....

Skeeta

HSC
Lots of professions require a first aid course. Especially if you're workiing with children. I think all teachers have to have it. I'm at uni to be a speech pathologist and we all have to have it as part of one of our courses

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Its always good to have a first aid qualification, you could end up saving someones life one day!!! In some jobs you can be paid more just because your first aid qualified and it looks really good in your resume.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)