First Aid Volunteer work? (1 Viewer)

Jase

HSC
Does anyone here do any, or know anyone who does first aid volunteer work for Red Cross ( VASC) or St. John's or whatever such organisation?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I live in a small town. How do I find volunteer work there?

sunny

meh.
HSC
miss conduct said:
what do I have to do if I want to volunteer?
You need to do the Senior First Aid course which are run by the various St John divisions. After you've got a Senior First Aid certificate all you need to do is express interest in joining the division you approach. Different divisions have different rules about how kits/uniforms are distributed.

Slide Rule said:
Look for the nearest St John division.

Jase

HSC
Everyone seems to be with St. John.

But yeah, I did my cert with them too. do I need to redo it because it was a while ago?.. even although it expires october '06.

Anyone volunteer for world vision or redcross or savethechildren as well?

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
miss conduct said:
what do I have to do if I want to volunteer?
go to the ST Johns website, and see if there are any divisions localy, you dont have to do the first aid course first though... (well i didnt ) and then join up.... If you're under 18 you can join a cadet division, - and if you're over 18 adult division. go check out the website at www.one.stjohnnsw.com.au

Delta32

usyd junkie
HSC
Slide Rule said:

Which town? Also, UNSW has their own Division if you decide on going there.

Jase said:
Everyone seems to be with St. John.

But yeah, I did my cert with them too. do I need to redo it because it was a while ago?.. even although it expires october '06.
You don't have to redo it till within 3 months of October '06. (depends on what you're using it for). recertificaiton courses are cheaper and shorted and are available 6 months (I think) either way of the expiry date of your initial statement of attainment.

Delta32

usyd junkie
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Bathurst. But I'm only 16 and I'll need to get a first-aid certificate. How do I get one?

@UNSW: That's good. What does volunteering generally involve? My mother's a nurse and she reckons you just help out at big carnivals or events and such, but she admitted she wasn't entirely sure.
You can do a senior first aid course at Bathurst, they are run everyweek, see http://www.stjohnnsw.com.au for details. Or ring the Bathurst office direct: 02 6331 9691 they are at 4/213-217 Howick Street, Bathurst.

Alternatively if you're serious about volunteering there is a Bathurst Cadet Division and Adult Division (depending on whether you are 18 or not), both are quiet good, your first aid certificates are then free. (and you can do more than just Senior First Aid)

St John Operations Branch (uniformed volunteers) provide first aid, Advanced Life Support or Medical Services depending on the event and our resources, anything from a local fete to NYE, Big Day Out, Easter Show etc.

For more info about the volunteer branches, ring 02 9212 5503.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Going to training once in a while, and doing duties when you have spare time.

Alot of the time nothing major happens on duties.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)