First Aid Volunteer work? (1 Viewer)

Delta32

usyd junkie
HSC
It depends on what you want to do -

if you're under 18 and join cadets its can be similar to most other youth organisations (badges, courses etc).

Otherwise as an adult you can do

First Aid (obviously)
Administrative Management Training / roles
Communications Training / roles
Operations Management
Youth Development / Training
more advanced clinical work (Analgesic Gases, Automatic External Defibrillation, Oxygen Admin).. and more..

amongst other things.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Delta32 said:
Smallest Division? no way.
LOL. it is..... have you ever seen our division, we have One Cadet Leader, One OIC , who is on leave at the moment, coming back next year, and a tiny bunch of Juniors and all the Senior cadets are leaving, cause they either dont like it anymore, or transfering to Adult Divisions

Jase

HSC
hmm, so i have to go to the hornsby/kuringai centre just to apply for st.johns.

...and go to a Red Cross Orientation Brainwash Hour sometime next week.

So with the st. johns thing.. a 6 month probation period.. does that mean you get barred for 6 months until they say.. 'hey.. let's give this kid a go'?

sunny

meh.
HSC
No you still go on duties etc, but it usually means you're always put with a more experienced member when on duties. Sometimes you may not get your uniform and kit until the end of your probation.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I am doing the senior first aid course next week, what is it invovle? i understand that it is 18 hours in 2 days, which is like very hectic. Is the exam at the end of the second day difficult? what does it involve? is it a theory or practical exam?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Its got bits of theory and bits of practical. Bandaging, managing a casualty, etc etc etc.

The exam is theory and practical too. Its a multiple choice test in the "what do you do" kind of questions. The practical is scenario based and would test the skills you learnt - CPR, bandaging, "managing a caualty"....lots of other things.

Try to have fun :)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
wow getting a CPR needs doolahs, what are some advantages of getting a cert. for first aid?

sunny

meh.
HSC
For starters you can't join the ops branch of St John without a current first aid cert....sometimes OH&S laws require trained first aiders in the workplace.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
sunny said:
Its got bits of theory and bits of practical. Bandaging, managing a casualty, etc etc etc.

The exam is theory and practical too. Its a multiple choice test in the "what do you do" kind of questions. The practical is scenario based and would test the skills you learnt - CPR, bandaging, "managing a caualty"....lots of other things.

Try to have fun :)
OMG...i hope I won't fail... :(

sunny

meh.
HSC
Survivor39 said:
OMG...i hope I won't fail... :(
The majority of the test should become common sense to you after the course.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
do you get to find out your results? As in %?
And when do you receive the certificate?

sunny

meh.
HSC
From what I remember you can get 5 wrong in the 20 multiple choice questions. I don't think you get to know your mark (I didn't anyway). They post you your certificate in the mail.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Strange....maybe the rules have changed. I did my ALS recert last week, and we do a SFA recert at the same time, and my division superintendent said 5.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Oh crap! I sent in my money order last thursday and I still haven't got a confirmation letter from St John, while my friend sent it in he same say as me and got a letter today. What do I do??? The day I want to do my first aid is on Wednesday?? ARGH! What happens if I don't receive my letter tomorrow?? Do I call them first thing in the morning tomorrow??

Jase

HSC
don't worry, the course is really really easy. anyone can pass. they basically walk around and whisper to you the answers for the theory.. and don't really check too carefully how well you've done your practical. so as long as you have all the basic outlines, you'll pass.

Delta32

usyd junkie
HSC
For Senior First Aid:

Participant Assessment

Informal progressive assessment is conducted throughout the course ensuring stated competencies are achieved. The terminal assessment on completion of the course consists of theory and practical components. Participants are required to pass both theory and practical, including CPR.

• Theory - 20 multiple choice questions - 75% pass mark required.
• Practical - Resuscitation, bleeding control, fracture management using critical skills assessment sheets.

sunny

meh.
HSC
ahh it is 5 possible out of 20 then.

I can't say that its always easy like you describe Jase...it does always vary depending on the assessor. :)

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
if you get a guy named 'Eddie' for The SFA course, ( Surry Hills Branch - St Johns Headquarters ) You will need to really pay attention to your Practical exam, he lets the test go easily... tee hee trust me on that one... and Mr Crawley..... you have to do well for :p Cadet IOC's are always hard markers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)