First in course/ Top achievers in course (1 Viewer)

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A
The Top Achievers in Course List shows the students in the top places in each course, provided they have also achieved Band 6 or Band E4, as appropriate. The number of students reported depends on the course candidature (see table below). Students are ranked by their HSC mark. Where students have equal HSC marks, they are then ranked by the average of their examination marks and their assessment marks, each taken to one decimal place. In the case of extension courses, marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration when students are tied. The list shows the student's name and teaching school, and their place in the course.

Looking through the BOS website I found this, does this mean, that you could not be coming first in school for your assessments, but get the top mark in the HSC and receive a state rank.

I always thought, it was based on the final mark (exam + assessment) and not the examination mark alone, but I guess not. Could someone confirm this for me? I hope I'm interpreting it correctly?!

fiesycal

HSC
Looking through the BOS website I found this, does this mean, that you could not be coming first in school for your assessments, but get the top mark in the HSC and receive a state rank.
Yes. The person who came first in Adv Eng last year came from my school and I heard she wasn't even top 10 internally.

khfreakau

HSC
Yes. The person who came first in Adv Eng last year came from my school and I heard she wasn't even top 10 internally.
lol she was 8th hahaha, i dunno where this outside of top 10 rumour stemmed from.

@OP: just because you are coming first does not mean you cannot come first in the state. last year this girl scored a 99 in her external, and because she was ranked so well, she got an internal of 97 or 98. What you don't know is that the hsc mark they tell you isn't your actual hsc mark - there is a decimal point they don't tell you about. So if you got an internal mark of 97.4 or 96.6, you'd get 97 either way and there's no way to tell. When they calculate state ranks, they average the two marks to ONE DECIMAL POINT and then they determine the rankings. This is how people with the same hsc mark have different state rankings.

Last edited:

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A
haha.. must be a pretty good school with relatively SMALL gaps between ranks! wow

just saw ur school - so yes, obviously!

thoth1

Banned
HSC
woah. how did she manage that? she must hav aced external

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A
lol she was 8th hahaha, i dunno where this outside of top 10 rumour stemmed from.

@OP: just because you are coming first does not mean you cannot come first in the state. last year this girl scored a 99 in her external, and because she was ranked so well, she got an internal of 97 or 98. What you don't know is that the hsc mark they tell you isn't your actual hsc mark - there is a decimal point they don't tell you about. So if you got an internal mark of 97.4 or 96.6, you'd get 97 either way and there's no way to tell. When they calculate state ranks, they average the two marks to ONE DECIMAL POINT and then they determine the rankings. This is how people with the same hsc mark have different state rankings.
but looks like the internal mark doesn't matter, if you score the highest exam mark in the state. so technically u could be coming last in ur school and at the HSC exam score the highest mark and get ranked first in the state. (however, the possibility of this scenario is quite remote). The internal mark comes into play only, if two people score the exact same HSC examination mark. (that's what I gathered)

khfreakau

HSC
but looks like the internal mark doesn't matter, if you score the highest exam mark in the state. so technically u could be coming last in ur school and at the HSC exam score the highest mark and get ranked first in the state. (however, the possibility of this scenario is quite remote). The internal mark comes into play only, if two people score the exact same HSC examination mark. (that's what I gathered)
point in question: destinyliang was ranked 2nd in eco last year, and jonochan was ranked 4th. in the externals, jonochan scored a 97, and destinyliang scored a 96. However, destinyliang's internal mark was 98, and jonochan's was 97. In the end, destinyliang got a state ranking of 5th, and jonochan got a state ranking of 8th. rest assured, the internal mark DOES count towards getting a state ranking. it ALWAYS counts. a lot of people have been saying this, and i also don't know where this rumour came about. They simply rank HSC marks from highest to lowest to one decimal point (ie ALREADY having averaged internal and external marks)

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A
point in question: destinyliang was ranked 2nd in eco last year, and jonochan was ranked 4th. in the externals, jonochan scored a 97, and destinyliang scored a 96. However, destinyliang's internal mark was 98, and jonochan's was 97. In the end, destinyliang got a state ranking of 5th, and jonochan got a state ranking of 8th. rest assured, the internal mark DOES count towards getting a state ranking. it ALWAYS counts. a lot of people have been saying this, and i also don't know where this rumour came about. They simply rank HSC marks from highest to lowest to one decimal point (ie ALREADY having averaged internal and external marks)
Where students have equal HSC marks, they are then ranked by the average of their examination marks and their assessment marks, each taken to one decimal place.

but this is what the board of studies says? I'm so confused

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
^hsc mark = avg of examination mark + assessment mark
So we both got 97 as a hsc mark.
but I got a higher "97"

SonOfAGun

Banned
HSC
Joy_2575 or wateva why r u so worried about state ranks? r u expectin one?

khfreakau

HSC
^hsc mark = avg of examination mark + assessment mark
So we both got 97 as a hsc mark.
but I got a higher "97"
this. note that "Where students have equal HSC marks, " HSC mark means average of ext/internal already. They use the method you mentioned, which is what i explained, to differentiate between students of the same hsc mark, as was the case with destinyliang/jonochan.

awbeyona

HSC
Hi,

Your internal mark or known as your school assessment mark irrelevant as schools are all different. Your external Higher School Certificate (HSC) mark is the most important thing.

For example:
Internal Mark: 50
External Mark: 95
Final (HSC) Mark: 90~93

Maximum movement is plus minus 3~4

My cousin completed his HSC at Fort Street High School. His estimate ATAR was mid 80 (ie. 84, 85, 86) <-- After the Trial Examinations. However, he end up getting 99.2?????

Last edited:

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
^that's probably for 4u or something...

+ school's can never do estimates properly.

zhiying

HSC
bahahaha I go Fort St and I can tell you we do some pretty clueless estimates here. They don't take into account the subjects, so like rank 1 drama = rank 1 4u math -_- and they base everything off the previous years cohort. Also we only get a range, I got 98-99.95 which doesn't really tell me anything

taeyang

HSC
Agreed. Schools seem to be clueless when it comes to the HSC in general.
I couldn't agree, my year advisor said "if you are coming first in a subject, just lay back leading up to the HSC you don't have to do any work since everyone else will get your mark for you" .... yeh.... sick school brah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)