First job at 18 y.o? (1 Viewer)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Is that just an over the phone job?

If so I would want to do that over the summer break. Talking over the phone about that type of stuff is the best.

Honestly, it gives you the opportunity to have some really fun phone calls.
yes it is

no it isn't

no it doesn't

everything is scripted, no one likes you, prepare for a maelstrom of abuse

trungduong12

HSC
Why that job so sh*t if ur just talking over the phone? 0.0<~~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rawrliongirl

HSC
Ok so I'm 18, finished the HSC last year and have been looking for a job (ANY job) for the past 2-3 weeks. I don't really have any prior work experience which I could put on my resume (unless you count the volunteer week in yr 10) and I understand that not only am I old and therefore must be paid more but I also started applying pretty late : /

I did get called for an interview at KFC but apparently they 'found someone else' and apart from that, no one else has really replied...

So what I'm asking is if anyone has any advice for how to increase my chances of getting a job or if anyone has been in the same position as me? What I'm thinking is maybe wait till the school holidays are over and maybe some of the fast food places will open up a bit. But yeah... I know it was pretty stupid to hold off getting a job for so long but theres nothing much I can do about that.

Any help or advice is appreciated :)
ermahgerd. im turning 17 soon and have never had a part time job. my father claims that i dont need to work right now and should focus on my studies, but i want a job so i can get money and experience. I guess i'll be in the same position as you next year when i finish my HSC :( i hope I can get a job somewhere...do you think its worth me applying for jobs now without telling my parents and if im successful, then tell them? or should i put it off and just wait for my HSC to be over. none of my friends have jobs either. i never did volunteering so i have pretty much nothing to put on my resume D:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
yes it is

no it isn't

no it doesn't

everything is scripted, no one likes you, prepare for a maelstrom of abuse
Why that job so sh*t if ur just talking over the phone? 0.0<~~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe to you.

But see being someone who deals very well and laughs at other people getting angry (no shit I have a great laugh at people when they are full angry and serious with words), its very easy to play with them. Honestly, the job description is to get as many surveys as possible right? Well by aggravating their behaviour, you get a good result for the survey where they tell you what they really feel, and you get to have fun with it too.

Honestly if I did that, I'd make the job into an ownage pranks saga, while still getting the job done.

You guys need to be creative. Honestly in my days I have confused countless of private callers on my phone to the point that I lead them on a goose chase as to who I am.

This includes making up postcodes which do not belong to the suburb I have named to live in :haha:

They are legit postcodes but from the other side of the city :haha:

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
But see being someone who deals very well and laughs at other people getting angry (no shit I have a great laugh at people when they are full angry and serious with words), its very easy to play with them. Honestly, the job description is to get as many surveys as possible right? Well by aggravating their behaviour, you get a good result for the survey where they tell you what they really feel, and you get to have fun with it too.

Honestly if I did that, I'd make the job into an ownage pranks saga, while still getting the job done.

You guys need to be creative. Honestly in my days I have confused countless of private callers on my phone to the point that I lead them on a goose chase as to who I am.

This includes making up postcodes which do not belong to the suburb I have named to live in :haha:

They are legit postcodes but from the other side of the city :haha:
Great idea in theory, except that's not how it works. You get abused and then they hang up on you and you don't get the survey. They hate you because you are calling, not because you are doing a survey. Also, if your supervisor hears your client is annoyed, they will "discipline" you which basically means that they'll be watching you closely for the next 2 or so weeks to determine if they'll fire you or not. Their pride comes from polite telephone manner and if you do anything that instigates anger in your client you're pretty much next on the firing list. The staff turnover rate there is HUGE. They're always hiring because like 50% of the staff leave every month (not even exaggerating, I was hired in a group of 13 and there were 4 other groups starting the same week as I was).

If they refuse, you're not allowed to pester them to take the survey. If they're annoyed, you're not allowed to pester them to take the survey. You're expected to fill a quota per hour which is usually somewhere around 1 (i.e. 1 survey an hour), but was often <1.

It is a job that literally doesn't for any creative ingenuity because it doesn't permit it and yet still demands your consciousness. You sit at a phone listening to dial tones and answering machines for hours on end, and in the event someone picks up, 9 times out of 10 they hang up on you after you go through your scripted intro, most of the time while you're giving it, and most of the time not without a torrent of abuse (at which stage you're not allowed to get them to give answers to the survey because it will bias their answer). One of the huge emphasis they put on you is being able to read verbatim and without indicating a preference of one answer over the other, which means if you provoke the client they'll tap you on the shoulder and tell you to terminate the survey if you don't do it on your own accord.

Seriously if you think "being creative" is something you're good at or like doing a lot of, this job isn't really going to work out for you because you're not allowed to use any creativity. In fact, it doesn't work out for pretty much everyone.

But it's good that you think you can bring something new to the job. Unfortunately though, creativity is neither something particularly new or relevant to this one.

tl;dr creativity isn't allowed, you just sit and take abuse and can't do anything about it, you're not allowed to take a survey with someone angry

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Great idea in theory, except that's not how it works. You get abused and then they hang up on you and you don't get the survey. They hate you because you are calling, not because you are doing a survey. Also, if your supervisor hears your client is annoyed, they will "discipline" you which basically means that they'll be watching you closely for the next 2 or so weeks to determine if they'll fire you or not. Their pride comes from polite telephone manner and if you do anything that instigates anger in your client you're pretty much next on the firing list. The staff turnover rate there is HUGE. They're always hiring because like 50% of the staff leave every month (not even exaggerating, I was hired in a group of 13 and there were 4 other groups starting the same week as I was).

If they refuse, you're not allowed to pester them to take the survey. If they're annoyed, you're not allowed to pester them to take the survey. You're expected to fill a quota per hour which is usually somewhere around 1 (i.e. 1 survey an hour), but was often <1.

It is a job that literally doesn't for any creative ingenuity because it doesn't permit it and yet still demands your consciousness. You sit at a phone listening to dial tones and answering machines for hours on end, and in the event someone picks up, 9 times out of 10 they hang up on you after you go through your scripted intro, most of the time while you're giving it, and most of the time not without a torrent of abuse (at which stage you're not allowed to get them to give answers to the survey because it will bias their answer). One of the huge emphasis they put on you is being able to read verbatim and without indicating a preference of one answer over the other, which means if you provoke the client they'll tap you on the shoulder and tell you to terminate the survey if you don't do it on your own accord.

Seriously if you think "being creative" is something you're good at or like doing a lot of, this job isn't really going to work out for you because you're not allowed to use any creativity. In fact, it doesn't work out for pretty much everyone.

But it's good that you think you can bring something new to the job. Unfortunately though, creativity is neither something particularly new or relevant to this one.

tl;dr creativity isn't allowed, you just sit and take abuse and can't do anything about it, you're not allowed to take a survey with someone angry
That sounds incredibly depressing.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
That sounds incredibly depressing.
Dude it's so bad because the only people who do these are lonely old people and once that quota is filled you're looking for 18-34 year olds or 35-49 year olds who are either never home or too tired to give a shit about what you are asking in a 15 minute survey. Sometimes you go through your entire fucking intro and then you can't do anything with them even if they're willing and then they get annoyed about you wasting their time and still calling them inconveniently between 5-10pm at night.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Well I might try it once. Even though I might get fired after a few days, it will be an experience to talk about (yeah I talk about every experience I have). And being a creative person I might be able to give good ideas to the boss if I'm lucky and get a good position.

It will be a great conversation starter. Even at interviews!

Will probs apply in the summer holidays or maybe even in the mid year holidays for a few weeks or so.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Well I might try it once. Even though I might get fired after a few days, it will be an experience to talk about (yeah I talk about every experience I have). And being a creative person I might be able to give good ideas to the boss if I'm lucky and get a good position.

It will be a great conversation starter. Even at interviews!

Will probs apply in the summer holidays or maybe even in the mid year holidays for a few weeks or so.
Don't do it, oh lord. You don't know what you'll get yourself into.

It's good pay but so so so bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)