First Place in Course (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
From talking with several people not even on this site, I would say that they have already contacted the vast majority of those who topped the state in a subject. If you haven't been called already yet, then bad luck, it is very unlikely that you will receive a call now.
Yepp. I agree :)

alice09

HSC
have English Extension 2 and German Beginners have been announced ? i'm really hoping my friend gets them but there's been no call yet :S

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am PMing people like crazy now. Please don't ask me now. I haven't got much updates.

wendybird

HSC
have English Extension 2 and German Beginners have been announced ? i'm really hoping my friend gets them but there's been no call yet :S
Pretty hard to say with ANY certainty who gets EE2! Its the most unpredictable subject, and you have to remember even if someone gets 50/50 (and a fair few ppl do) it STILL doesn't guarantee a state ranking.

wendybird

HSC
G'luck Anna! What subjects were you looking for?

Maybe you'll get a State Ranking too! 2/3/4 etc..

gq430

HSC
N/A
Pretty hard to say with ANY certainty who gets EE2! Its the most unpredictable subject, and you have to remember even if someone gets 50/50 (and a fair few ppl do) it STILL doesn't guarantee a state ranking.
Hi Wendy, I was just wanting to know why that is the case, i.e. that someone can get 50/50 and still not come first (assuming they are also ranked 1st internally).

Many thanks.

sikhman

HSC
N/A
because more people are given 50's than there are state rankings. a 50 just indicates a threshold - people can be ranked within the hsc mark of 50, especially coz the bos goes to decimal points

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
One possibility is that the true aligned mark could 49.5/50 (e.g. 50/50 external and 49/50 internal) rather than truly 50/50 (both of which are seen as 50/50 on the report). Therefore, the 49.5/50 should be ranked lower than the 50/50. Another possible reason is because the raw marks that align to 50/50 are different.

jakennecon

HSC
They decide the 4U english state rankings based on performance in 2U English. A state ranking in 4U english requires 50/50 as a true aligned mark, and a bloody good performance in 2U.

sikhman

HSC
N/A
They decide the 4U english state rankings based on performance in 2U English. A state ranking in 4U english requires 50/50 as a true aligned mark, and a bloody good performance in 2U.
elaborate.

one of the guys who came 2nd in the state a couple of years back didn't get an amazing mark for 2u

LordPc

HSC
elaborate.

one of the guys who came 2nd in the state a couple of years back didn't get an amazing mark for 2u
indeed, elaborate

4u & 2u english are extremely different subjects. judging 4u by 2u makes little sense

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
In for PM of the unofficial list from namu or whoever the fuck.

wendybird

HSC
I don't know who told you that, but its blatantly false. Your result in 2U has nothing to do with your result in 4U English. Unlike 4U Maths, where 2/3U merges, and each of the extensions are taken as 2Units, English works quite differently.

For 4 Units of english, you have:

1) English Advanced (2 Units)
2) English Extension 1 (1 Unit)
3) English Extension 2 (1 Unit)

That's THREE, SEPARATE subjects, and each will be counted separately.

Hence you could ace English Extension 2, but only do ok in english Adv. They are counted as 3 spearate subjects with nothing to do with each other when calculating ranks or otherrwise.

Hi Wendy, I was just wanting to know why that is the case, i.e. that someone can get 50/50 and still not come first (assuming they are also ranked 1st internally).
1. As sikhman said, there are more 50s given than there are state ranks.

2. The calculation for English (and to an extent humanities subjects) state ranks is a little peculiar. For the top say 10 English Extension 2ers, ALL in the top 10 would probably have the EXACT same mark (50/50). However what the BOS markers will do is to RE-READ the works, and make a subjective judgement as to the ranked works, based on style, how much they like it etc.

So subjective factors are used in calculating ranks in EE2, and even in English Adv.

3. That subjectivity is even more prominent in EE2, a subject where major works are judged - this makes it inherently subjective and unpredictable. Something your teacher might LOVE might not get the same response from the marker. Its much less straightforward than say Maths, where there is only 1 answer and 1 right answer.

jakennecon

HSC
well it's because more than 10 people in 4U english get a true aligned mark of 50/50 each year.

So yes, while the english 4U MARKS are totally separate from english 2U and english 3U, the english 4U RANKS must be decided by some other measure, since so many people have 50/50. The measure that the board of studies then uses to separate people out is performance in 2U english.

sikhman

HSC
N/A
no i know of a case where that rule does not apply

jakennecon

HSC
Okay well it looks like we have conflicting sources...does anyone have *definitive* evidence proving one case or the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)