• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

First Timers?? (3 Viewers)

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
i agree with jess
often people dont want the big financial strain of a wedding, they dont need this piece of paper to unite them

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
I'm an idiot

Last edited by a moderator:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
bowman said:
my uncle used a piece of paper to smoke weed with. not a marriges certificate, it's just u guys were talkiing about paper an it reminded me
lol, one of my brothers ex-girlfriends once rolled up newspaper and smoked it...couldnt talk for a week :p

santaslayer

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
you're a fucking wanker, you really are.
the example of my aunty, her and her "boyfriend" peter have been together 18 yrs as i said, live together, share bank accounts, EVERYthing as married couples do. how can you say they are less committed?
my youngest brother and his girlfriend kylie share a house, bank accounts, a gorgeous daughter and are totally in love with each other.

just because you are married to someone doesnt mean you love them more or are committed to them more than a couple that dont have a bit of paper (because, in all reality, thats ALL it is)
meh, I agree with Jess...

Getting married simply puts a legally binding committment to the existing relationship. It doesn't mean it will last forever...there is always the divorce option. De facto's on the other hand, cannot be branded as ''less committed'' just because there is no written evidence. Some de facto relationships last forever, whilst divorce rates are sky rocketing.

What do you say to those who have been divorced then?

pinkblinkbarbie

seduce me
HSC
LaraB said:
omg! u have just totaly insulted every de facto couple that exists!!!

also, marriage h as alot of religious basis and if you're an athiest, why would you wanna conform to a christian or wateva tradition?
ok not true...marriage isnt a religious thing..athesiests get married with a marriage celebrant, you dont have to have a priest to get married. and even if you get married in a church, you dont have to coonvert to that religion. my parents got married in the catholic church and my mum is the catholic one not my dad, he didnt convert and the marriage went well...
but agreed with everything who said you dont have to be married to have a comitted relationship. there are a billion different reasons why people dont get married...though some that are just plain scammers, but thats besides the point.
so whoever started this whole discussion has their own opinion on sex before marriage, but so does EVERYONE else. i dont belive in sex before marriage simply because that might not happen for ages. i know a couple who were engaged for a really long time because they had just bought a house together so they couldnt afford to get maaried just yet. another couple were engaged for 27 years and only got married this year...they didnt need to prove their love to each other by marrying but decided before they died they wanted to be more together or something (cant rememeber the exact reason).

but so everyone has their own opinion, and i think they have been shared. the topic should be dropped to stop the arguments, and get back onto orginal topic.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
waterfowl said:
And I think anyone who is in a "committed relationship" but not married is just kidding themselves and is not really committed, because they could simply end the relationship in a second, and are too afraid to join their partner in marriage and share things (eg homes, bank accounts etc etc) with them.
Jesus...I hope you and your faith 'agree' with pre-nuptial agreements otherwise you might burn your fingers very very badly... :uhhuh:

kartie

i have a question for waterfowl - what happens if the person you're married to isn't a virgin? could you be with somebody who didn't share the same belief as you?

waterfowl

HSC
kartie said:
i have a question for waterfowl - what happens if the person you're married to isn't a virgin? could you be with somebody who didn't share the same belief as you?
No I could never be with somebody who didn't share the same beliefs as me...that would result in many fights and arguments - especially when kids came into the equation.

kartie

so you would sacrifice "true love" if that person had previously had sex? Have you ever had to face a dilemma similar?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
my god that's sad.
I'm sure you'd have a hard time finding someone who thinks you fit into their set of morals perfectly if you revealed all of your past waterfowl..

kartie

Not-That-Bright said:
my god that's sad.
I'm sure you'd have a hard time finding someone who thinks you fit into their set of morals perfectly if you revealed all of your past waterfowl..
i agree - okay not so much about the sad part - but I'm not sure how you could even get to the subject of virginity... it is mighty awkward asking about past sexual partners.. what happens if this guy you're totally in love with when in that one awkward moment you ask... doesn't fit? dilemma!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Seriously I don't think anything in a persons past should make you break up with them.. unless you find out they're a manipulator or a convicted murderer and never even told you... you kno that kinda thing.

waterfowl

HSC
Ok firstly Kartie, I am a guy so I would be falling in love with a girl :p

Secondly, I would only ever go out with a Christian girl. Chances are she would be a virgin too.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
i go to a christian school... all girls have the same mix from just about any group dude.
The chance of you marrying a virgin then staying happily ever after are remote... and in fact it's fairly likely that later in life you would cheat, guys have a natural instinct to have more than 1 sexual parter...

waterfowl

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
i go to a christian school... all girls have the same mix from just about any group dude.
The chance of you marrying a virgin then staying happily ever after are remote... and in fact it's fairly likely that later in life you would cheat, guys have a natural instinct to have more than 1 sexual parter...
my gosh THATS sad!
just because it's a Christian school doesn't mean they are all Christians!
There's this little thing called self control that I would use, 'natural instinct' or not.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
No dude, heaps of them go to church every week.
They're basically no different, except they meet their boyfriends at church sometimes? lol

Oh yea! don't get me wrong.. i don't think it being a 'natural' thing should be an excuse for it happening! I actually hate that as an excuse..
I'm just saying... the drive will definately be there after 40+ years.

waterfowl

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
No dude, heaps of them go to church every week.
They're basically no different, except they meet their boyfriends at church sometimes? lol

Oh yea! don't get me wrong.. i don't think it being a 'natural' thing should be an excuse for it happening! I actually hate that as an excuse..
I'm just saying... the drive will definately be there after 40+ years.
There is more to being a Christian than simply going to Church every week (but that isn't the topic of this thread so moving on...)

The majority of people I know over 40 have never had affairs, in fact I only know people who have had long and strong marriages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)